TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher Press Conference (11-17-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher Press Conference (11-17-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher- Press Conference - November 17, 2014

(Opening Statement)
“This victory, you have to credit all three areas of our team, our offense, defense and special teams. It was clearly as good of a game as we’ve played. Yes, we would have liked to have had some ‘7s’ instead of ‘3s’ in the plus territory, but I think overall we got the contribution from each unit that we needed to get to win this game, to beat this team. The third-down efficiency from a defensive standpoint early in the game, in the first half was important. The fourth down, obviously 0-for-3 on fourth down, those stops were great for us defensively. Then offensively, when you can rush, at least your running back rushes for 100 yards against the number-one ranked rushing defense in the league, that shows that you’ve accomplished something. Overall, just really happy that we got out of there with that win. As I said, you can’t relax any time (Broncos QB) Peyton (Manning) is under center. We made enough plays throughout the ballgame to obviously make the difference in the outcome. We’re moving on. The staff’s already moving on to San Diego. Again, we did some really good things.

“I don’t think that (S) Rodney’s (McLeod) hit was a penalty, but we understand they’re going to call those things. I don’t think it was a foul. It was shoulder contact to shoulder. (S) T.J.’s (McDonald) was not either. Other than Rodney’s penalty, we had the hold, we had the delay of game on (CB) Janoris (Jenkins) where he bumped the ball. I didn’t talk to him, but word got back that he was tired, so he was trying to catch his breath. So we’ll make sure that gets fixed.”

(On if he’d like to see hits on a defenseless receiver like McLeod’s be made reviewable by replay)
“They’re going to talk about it. I’m sure it will be addressed again this offseason. The issue is where do you draw the line as far as penalties? That’s the issue. Is it that penalty? Is it on a defenseless player? Then do you go to the quarterback, say hands to the face or not? I think those things will be discussed, but we’ll just have to see. Replay was not designed for that. We’ll see.”

(On if McLeod was flagged for helmet-to-helmet contact or a hit on a defenseless receiver)
“They thought it was both, helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless receiver, defenseless player.”

(On if CB Janoris Jenkins said he was tired and that’s why he batted the ball)
“That’s what I was told. I have yet to confirm that, I didn’t talk to him today. We’ll make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

(On if he’s ever heard that one before)
“No, I could understand him being tired. With that tempo and that pace and everything and him chasing, playing deep balls and defending deep balls…they were trying to get up on the line and we were trying to get a sub done. As it worked out we would not have had any problems defensively. You can’t do that. I thought it was an excellent call. You don’t see that very often. For (Head Linesman) George Hayward to see that and call that was good officiating.”

(On if the defense is where he wants it to be)
“It’s getting closer, yeah. We’re still giving up plays and things like that, but to keep them out of the red zone is quite an accomplishment. We’re creating the turnovers. (LB) Alec’s (Ogletree) playing at a really high level the last few weeks. He’s making a lot of plays for us, tackling well. Our defense tackled well yesterday. We didn’t have many missed tackles. They have these designed plays where they’ll send four receivers down field to block you. They’re not intended receivers, it’s a screen pass, but you use your eligibles to go block the defenders and then they trail. We got off blocks. We handled that play pretty well. ”

(On what’s been the key to Ogletree’s success)
“I think he’s got much better feel for what we’re doing. It took him a while to get in good shape. We’re using him a lot more behind the ball, as opposed to just lining up on the line of scrimmage like a tight end. He’s rushing well and I think (LB) James (Laurinaitis) is doing some really good things in there right now as far as identifying protections and putting us in positions to get free runners. Alec is playing really good in space.”

(On if Ogletree not being in shape means he’s struggled with stamina)
“I don’t think he was in the best of shape when he came to camp. So, I think he’s playing himself into really good shape right now.”

(On S T.J. McDonald’s performance this season)
“The safeties are playing well. Even (S) Mark (Barron) got in and he made some plays. Yeah, T.J.’s running all over the place and tackling well and anticipated well. They’re playing with a great deal of effort and we’re playing with a great deal of speed. It’s a physical defense right now. There’s a lot of contact.”

(On if WR Kenny Britt has met his expectations)
“You can see the potential. (QB) Shaun (Hill) made some good throws. He made some big plays. Numbers aren’t…he doesn’t necessarily have 75 catches right now. But, you see he has the potential to make those big plays in a game. I’m sure he’ll finish up strong.”

(On LT Greg Robinson’s performance)
“He had quite a battle on his hands. It wasn’t easy. I know this is going to be a great learning experience for him. I think he was a little disappointed today at some of the things that happened, but as long as he continues to learn from things and become a little bit more patient he’ll just be fine.”

(On what happened on the play when QB Shaun Hill recovered his own fumble)
“We had run called and we checked out and we were going to go to three-step and Greg didn’t get the check and he froze. That’s what happened. Greg stepped down and he froze, but he should’ve kicked out in either case and executed the block. We didn’t get some bounces early. We got a very significant bounce yesterday on that sack.”

(On if the reason LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar didn’t play yesterday was due to the Broncos offensive scheme)
“It was personnel groupings. He’s not in our nickel package. So, we were exclusively five or sometimes six DBs.”

(On building off of this win)
“That’s the thing and the guys were talking about that last night in the locker room is that we had a big win now can we go ahead and put another one together. Because it’s going win-loss, win-loss, win-loss and it needs to go win-win. That’s our focus.”

(On what he learned from the team over the past few games)
“With the exception of the second half in Kansas City we’ve been in it. We just have to find ways to win games consistently, but this team has played hard and played physical against some really good teams. Big-picture wise I think we’re building it right. We’re building to contend and compete in the division. I think young teams need to learn how to match-up against those unfamiliar opponents, which we did yesterday. Now we have to do that again.”

(On what can Hill’s experience bring moving forward)
“He’s making decisions. He’s protecting the football. He threw the ball when he needed to. He took a sack when he needed to and didn’t take a hit. He’s seeing things well. He even extended some plays. A couple of those plays, the one throw to (RB) Benny (Cunningham) on the back shoulder throw that got the first down that was an outstanding play. He’s got some mobility in the pocket and there’s a sense and time the ball’s coming out and the receivers need to be there on time. I thought he played well.”