TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 9-9-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – September 9, 2013

(On what he thought about the play of the offensive line against Arizona, particularly against the Cardinals’ pressure)
“I thought they were good. I thought they hung in there. They did a lot of different things up front. We kept the pocket clean for the most part. (QB) Sam (Bradford) was touched six times in the game and that was pretty good. It’s been three consecutive games now where we haven’t given up a sack, and I don’t think that’s happened in this franchise since somewhere in the mid-70’s. Not that there’s much carryover from last year, but at least we’re off to the right start, and you credit the offensive line, the quarterback and everybody involved.”

(On if there were any hard hits on Bradford)
“No.”

(On his concern about LT Jake Long when he went down or if he knew he was OK)
“When I got out there and talked to him I felt like he was going to be OK. He said he just needed a play or two off, but it was an injury timeout, it was inside two minutes, so he was fortunate to go back in.”

(On how safeties T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod played in their first starts)
“I thought they both played well. There’s room for improvement, like everybody, but I thought they were active. There weren’t any mistakes, glaring mistakes, some minor technique things and some position things, but I thought they both played well.”

(On what DE Robert Quinn has improved on)
“Robert, he got off to a fast start last year. He’s playing the run with a great deal of strength right now and then he’s hard to block one-on-one out there. I think they had a hard time with him yesterday. He got great pressure and very good with his hands. He was changing his moves up and got help. We talk about pass rush needing inside push, we got good push inside.”

(On what he’s most concerned about after watching the film)
“We have to improve in all areas. At least we have a sense for where we are now. We need to do better on third down. We had two sudden changes, offensively, and we got two field goals. We want to get touchdowns out of that field position that the defense put them in and we didn’t. You talk about reducing penalties, protecting the football, scoring in the plus territory – those kinds of things. Those are the things we’ll continue to work on. I thought overall, when there’s 1:47 left and we go down by 11, overall I thought it was a pretty impressive job by the entire team fighting their way back. Defense making plays, special teams making plays, offense scoring points, and find a way to win.”

(On how he keeps the players’ emotions in check when they’re losing)
“The staff does a great job of communicating. There’s going to be things that happen in games, and you can’t let them affect them. We tell them not to watch the scoreboard, we’ll take care of the scoreboard. We tell them just to play and they’ve got a good sense for that.”

(On how much they opened up the playbook in Week 1)
“We did some more things, but you’ve got to, obviously, we got the ball to the tight end. You’ve got to be protection conscious first when you’ve got a team that’s going to pressure you like that. You can’t have free runners on the quarterback, so that limits you as far as some of the things you can do.”

(On RB Daryl Richardson’s performance and receiving a lot of touches)
“He did. He gets the 20-yard catch and run after catch erased because of a holding call, and he’s got 110, 115 all-purpose yards in a game. That’s productive considering (TE) Jared (Cook) had 140 (yards).”

(On if he wanted to work in RB Zac Stacy more)
“You want to try to do that, but sometimes the game just goes that way. You got a three-and-out, and then you come back and if you get a long drive, you’re better able to get him in. One of those other things you talk about improving, we’ve got to work on the run game. It’s a stout defense, but we’re going to have to run the ball a bit better as well.”

(On RB Isaiah Pead)
“He’s back in the building and he’ll be on the practice field.”

(On if Pead will play in Week 2)
“We’ll see.”

(On how much a 1-0 start changes the approach for Week 2 opposed to 0-1)
“This group, we talked about the ‘24 hour rule’ and it’s good to get it over with and get on to the next opponent after a win. But, you can’t dwell on the win or the loss and I think they understand that. So, we’ve already moved on to Atlanta.”

(On Cook setting a Rams franchise record for yards by a tight end)
“I don’t know if there’s another tight end that has franchise records in two places, but he also has a franchise record in Tennessee. He’s very productive and he’s talented and when you get the ball to him, he shows he can run after the catch.”

(On fumbles not bouncing the right way)
“It just happens. It’s frustrating, especially (S) Matt ‘Gio’s’ (Giordano) hit on the kickoff returner. That’s great field position down there and you don’t get it. But, as long as it’s coming out, you’ll get your share. We’ve just got to make sure that we’re emphasizing that defensively and protecting it on offense.”