TRANSCRIPT: Lots of people... - May 13, 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(Opening Statements)
Sam: First off guys, I want to thank (Rams Owner) Mr. (Stan) Kroenke, Coach (Jeff) Fisher and (General Manager) Mr. (Les) Snead for giving me this opportunity to play for the St. Louis Rams. I’m very grateful and very blessed to be a part of this organization and help this team to win a championship.”

Fisher: “I’m going to go back, give you some background. When our seasons are over, every team in the league gets together, identifies strengths and weaknesses, identify needs as they push into free agency and into the draft. We did the same that everybody else does. I think it’s widely known that one of the strengths of our football team is the defensive end position, the defensive line as a whole. The defensive end position wasn’t a big need of ours going into this year’s draft as compared to some of the other positions. So, as a result, we did our work, we graded our players. We did what needed to be done but we didn’t identify any defensive ends or designated pass rushers that we thought would be of interest early in the draft. We had a private interview with Mike at the Combine. (Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle met with him. We didn’t have him in for a ’60 visit.’ We didn’t bring him into town. We didn’t do a private workout primarily because we didn’t have a big need at the position. So as the draft moves along, as most people do as they select in the sixth or seventh round, they’re picking players who have higher grades than the round in which they’re picking. They’re picking value players. When we got to our pick, or shortly before we got to our pick, Michael’s value as a football player was off the charts. We drafted Michael as a football player and he has an opportunity now to come in and compete to try to make our football team.”

Snead: “I’ll follow up on Coach Fish. Obviously, pick 249, we drafted him as a football player. All of us in the draft room were aware of the magnitude of the decision. Knew it would be a pivot in history. We started the maiden journey yesterday when Michael got here. What’s interesting, as Coach Fish has said before on Kenny Washington being the first African American to get into the NFL post World War II I believe, was signed by this organization...the nice thing when you Google Kenny Washington is ‘forgotten hero.’ What’s nice about that is there’s going to be a timeline here, Michael is the first. Somewhere in the future, guess what? He’s just going to be a name and a dot that a kid in middle school has got to memorize. We won’t think it’s anything special because it will be normal. That journey started yesterday. The key that we want to do, after this press conference is over, like Coach Fish said, is we’re going to get back to football. Because that’s what Michael, he’s been gifted some nice gifts to play football and that’s our goal.”

(On if the gravity of his place in history has sunk in yet)
Sam: “No, all my focus has been playing and trying to make the team.”

(On the message he has for anyone dealing with their own personal struggle)
Sam: “It’s okay to be who you are. Whether you’re gay, straight, black or white, it’s okay to be comfortable in your own skin.”

(On how anxious he is for the discussion to be about and if he thinks that will totally ever be the case)
Sam: “Oh yeah, eventually it will. But, I understand that right now you guys want to make a big deal of it. When this is over, then I can start doing that as fast as possible.”

(On him previously saying that when he was at the University of Missouri, ‘it wasn’t a secret’)
Sam: “People thought when Mizzou didn’t make a big deal of it because apparently everybody else makes a big deal of it, but my teammates and my school didn’t.”

(On how he made it from Hitchcock, Texas to the NFL)
Sam: “Adversity hits everyone. Depending on what you want to do with it...I wanted to get out. I wanted to do some great things, so I played sports. I got better at football. I got better with my grades. I went to college. I was the first person in my family to graduate, and now I’m the first person in my family to go to the NFL. So, I just keep on fighting. Keep fighting the good fight.”

(On if he thinks he’ll ‘make the cut’ and make the Rams roster)
Sam: “Will I make the cut? You want to find out in a couple months, huh?”

(On being the first openly gay athlete to play in the NFL)
Sam: “It guess it’s great. I don’t know what you want me to say (laughing).”

(On how he rationalized to himself his long wait to be drafted)
Sam: “I was just praying and had faith in God. I believed in my talents. Mr. Kroenke and Coach Fisher and Mr. Snead, they all believed in my talents and here I am.”

(On if he’s had a one-on-one conversation with his father)
Sam: “No I have not had a one-on-one conversation with my father.”

Sam: (On how he’s preparing himself for negative reactions or remarks from other players)
“When you see me, like I said earlier, I’m determined to be great. I’m determined to make this team and I have every confidence in myself that I will make this team. So, when I do make it, and when I put my pads on, and if someone wants to say something, you’ll see number 96 running down that field and making big plays for this team.”

(On if there’s any significance to the jersey number 96 that he’ll wear)
Sam: “No, I wanted another number clearly but that number was taken.”

(On if he thought his results at the Combine was influenced by the fact that he’d recently come out and he had a lot on his mind)
Sam: “The Combine was an interview to make an NFL team. Well, I made one, so I guess the Combine doesn’t really matter anymore.”

(On if he believes his sexuality impacted where he was drafted)
Sam: “I have no idea. I know that by the seventh round, pick 249, Michael Sam’s name got called and here I am.”

(On how taxing the pre-draft process was for him and if he’d do anything differently if given the opportunity)
Sam: “I wouldn’t do a thing differently. I waited and I waited and I waited. I said long ago that whatever team does pick me, they know about my sexuality. They know everything about my past, and that’s the team I want to play for. Ironically, it’s the St. Louis Rams, and actually, my very first college game was at the (Edward Jones) Dome. So it’s just ironic that I’m here.”

(On a man who recently posted on the internet that Sam gave the man’s son the courage to come out and how Sam feels about being a role model)
Sam: “I’m honored that I helped someone to be comfortable with who they are, that I gave them a little courage to speak to his father. I’m very honored to have that happen to his son, but right now I’m just looking forward to continuing on my dream. If it inspires other people, hey, I’m with you. If anyone’s not okay with that, like I said earlier, if someone disowns you, hey, be a part of my family. I’ll welcome you. Ram up!”

(On where he gets the poise to handle the pressure he’s been under)
Sam: “I’ve always had it. This is just me. This is Michael Sam. You get the real deal right now.”

(On if he’s received any phone calls or had any conversations through this process that has meant something special to him)
Sam: “I guess all of my friends, family who have just been supportive and are very proud of me. I want to thank everyone. I want to thank the St. Louis Rams organization. I want to especially thank my alma mater, my school, Mizzou. I want to thank my friends and family at Hitchcock. I’m very grateful and I’m very glad to be a part of their lives.”

(On how his new teammates have received him and if he had any nerves when he arrived in St. Louis)
Sam: “I had no nerves at all. They came to me actually. They were like, ‘Hey, welcome to the family. Let’s get to work.’ That’s what we’re going to do.”

(On what it says to him about the Rams that the organization drafted him)
Sam: “They see good potential in people and they’re ready to win a championship. I hope I’ll be a part of this team to help them win a championship.”

(On if he’s received any negative reaction in the past and how he responded)
Sam: “It has not happened. Clearly it didn’t happen last season because no one knew. I use little things to motivate me and to make me a better player. Thank God for you guys for making this all a big deal because it’s just going to make me even a better player than I am now.”

Snead: “Hey Coach Fish, can you talk to him about 15-yard penalties? (laughing) They always catch the retaliator, Michael.”

Fisher: “There’s a thing called a bench behind us, so...”

Sam: “Coach, I guarantee you it would be just making great plays, especially sacks.”

(On his thoughts about a Missouri law that doesn’t protect employees from being fired because of their sexual orientation)
Sam: “It’s sad that they can be, but I can’t really do anything about that.”

(On if it’s true that he used to refer to himself as ‘Iceman’)
Sam: “Oh my God, that was a long time ago.”

Snead: “This is where the past haunts you, right here.”

Sam: “That was a long time ago. I was just trying to be cool.”

(On if the nickname worked in his attempt to ‘be cool’)
Sam: “It got me here.”

(On what the organization’s leaders have heard the last few days in response to the Rams drafting Sam)
Demoff: “I think we’ve heard a lot of praise, a lot of people be excited about the leadership and the step that we took. Certainly, we’ve heard some negative as well. You’re going to get both throughout the process. I think that’s something that we knew and we discussed on Saturday as this was going to come to be. If you’re going to take a leadership position by drafting Michael, you have to expect the good and the bad. We’re prepared for it and I think we’ll shine through it.”

(On if he’ll be an advocate for gay marriage)
Sam: “I will support all equality. It doesn’t have to be just about gay rights. Anything. But right now, I’m focused on football. I will always support equality, period. But my job is to focus on football and making this team so we can help win championships.”

(On if he’s heard from other athletes)
Sam: “Yes they have.”

(On if he can give examples of who has reached out)
Sam: “No, I can’t really. I don’t want to...”

(On having the second-highest selling jersey among the NFL draft class)
Sam: “That’s cool. That’s cool.”

(On what it’s like reading some of the negative things written to or about him on Twitter)
Sam: “You want to know how I handle it? I don’t read them.”

(On how the team’s strength at defensive end impacts Sam’s opportunity)
Fisher: “You’re always looking to upgrade from a depth standpoint. His skill set is unique. We all agree to that. Anybody that watched him play sees special traits. We’ll have the capability, provided that he’s able to get from point A – which is right now – to point B through camp, we’ll have the capability and potential to package him up in different defensive packages. We’ve already discussed the importance of his contribution to special teams and all those type of things. The work’s just getting started now. As Les and Kevin talked to, we’re looking forward to being part of this journey.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TRANSCRIPT: Rams DB Lamarcus Joyner and RB Tre Mason Press Conference - May 13, 2014
Posted 13 May 2014

Rams DB Lamarcus Joyner and RB Tre Mason 2014 Draft Class Press Conference – May 13, 2014

(Head Coach Jeff Fisher’s opening remarks)

FISHER: “Before we open to questions, I think what may be helpful is to give you an idea as to what the rookie class is doing right now. We brought them in yesterday afternoon. We’re basically in a two-day orientation phase today and tomorrow. They got an opportunity to meet their coaches. They got an opportunity to meet everybody in the building. They also got an opportunity to watch our skill development with the veterans today. They did not participate. We’re going to do meetings tomorrow, orientation to discuss a lot of different things tomorrow, physicals tomorrow night. Thursday they’ll do the same thing. They’re going to be able to watch the veterans in skill development and then Thursday afternoon will be the first time that we’ll have them on the field and basically assessing them Thursday, Friday, Saturday. They’ll not be interacting with the veterans until next Monday to give you some kind of background. With that, we’d like to open it to questions.”

(On Mason’s thoughts about being able to play with OL Greg Robinson at the next level)
MASON: “It’s like a dream come true to be able to play with Greg again. We came in our freshman year, talking about how we wanted to be three-(years)-and-out, and it would be a dream come true if we played together at the next level. God blessed us with that opportunity, and so did these guys sitting next to me, Coach Fisher and (General Manager) Mr. (Les) Snead brought us together.”

(On what the last 72 hours have been like since being drafted and getting to St. Louis)
JOYNER: “I feel like I’m in an interview process. It feels like being in college all over again where you’re going through orientation being introduced to everyone, learning the building, learning the organization but it’s been great.”

(On what it was like walking into the locker room for the first time and seeing their names and numbers above their stalls)
MASON: “It was another feeling of saying it was a blessing to have the opportunity to play at the next level. It’s something that you dreamed of as a child, and just walking into the locker room and seeing your number and your name next to it is just a feeling you can’t describe with words.”

JOYNER: “I can say this for myself that leaving college you almost feel like a man. You’ve accomplished a lot of things, and then you get to this organization and you feel like a rookie. You feel like you’re starting over again in life and it was great to see our names in that locker room.”

(On how much Robinson has helped Mason get to where he is today)
MASON: “The film speaks for itself. He’s a different creature. He takes over his assignment and does it well, and it makes my assignment that much easier.”

(On if Joyner ever had Robinson block him)
JOYNER: “I came on a blitz on the edge and it was a stalemate. Most big guys, I kind of use my athleticism to get around, but Greg, he’s a big, athletic guy. It was a stalemate, so, yeah, he’s a pretty good football player.”

(On if he hit Robinson straight up and it was a tie)
JOYNER: “Yeah and I had to get him off me.”

(On Robinson weighing 150 lbs. more than Joyner)
JOYNER: “Yeah, that’s why I had to come off real quick and kind of back him up because that would’ve been dangerous if that guy held on to me too long.”

(On Robinson and Mason reuniting with former University of Missouri DB E.J. Gaines and DE Michael Sam after the SEC title game)
MASON: “Yeah, just not too long ago we were talking about that and it was just a fun game. The whole game was just craziness. Just to look back and know that we played in the SEC Championship together, but we ended up here together. Now it’s time to take the talents from their team and our team and put them together and try to win a Super Bowl.”

(On if Gaines and Sam did not have as much fun in the conversation)
MASON: “I don’t think so.”

(On if Mason and Robinson have bragging rights over the rookie class)
MASON: “I think Lamarcus has got the most bragging rights out of all of us. He won it all.”

(On how well Mason got to know Coach Fisher while at Auburn)
MASON: “Pretty well, and also from being good friends with (Auburn DB) Trent Fisher, which is his son and we worked together a lot. Trent and I always talked about one day maybe I would play for the Rams, and he’d always joke around like that and it comes to be today that I’m actually sitting here now a St. Louis Ram.”

(On if Joyner has sat down to think about how far he’s come from his childhood since being drafted)
JOYNER: “I’ve been running away from that place all my life, which is why I do what I do on the field and in the weight room and the way I respect people. It’s a dream come true. Like I said, I’ve been running from that place all my life, and to be here and to be from afar, from where I come from – there’s no better feeling.”

(On how he found his path to success when so many from his Miami neighborhood have failed)
JOYNER: “I just kept my faith in the Lord. God has always seen me through. I saw Him first in all His righteousness and he got me here today. To add on to what He has already given me with my ability, I just added the extra work and listened to the great men in my life that He put there and I’m here today.”

(On if they think having Sam as a teammate would be a distraction)
MASON: “I welcome him with open arms. Everyone’s entitled to who they want to love, and he’s a man of his own and he’s entitled to do that. We’re a team, and he’s also a family member to us and to me now. We’re here for the same goal and that’s to win a Super Bowl.”

JOYNER: “I love the guy, especially after getting to share time with him at the Bronko Nagurski Award ceremony in North Carolina before I knew that we were going to be on the same team and he’s a great guy. He’s a great football player and he’s here now, and now we’re a family. I opened the doors for him with welcome arms.”

(On if Mason ever met Bo Jackson and what it was like)
MASON: “Yes. Bo is actually like an uncle to me. He’s pretty much coached me through this process and through the time I was there at Auburn and how to carry myself as, what they say, an Auburn man.”

(On what Jackson said to Mason after breaking Jackson’s rushing record at Auburn)
MASON: “He was just telling me that he was really proud of me. At that time, he was telling me he was really proud of me and that it was deserving of me to do that. God has blessed me to put me in that position, and now He wanted me to go off to the next level.”

(On Jackson’s prominence on the Auburn campus)
MASON: “Yeah, it’s pretty crazy on campus.”

(On Joyner’s thoughts on the Rams trading up in the draft to select him in the second round)
JOYNER: “I felt as though they made a sacrifice for me, and I’m good with returning favors. I think that I owe them the same. I’m going to give all my heart, all my soul to this organization because that meant a lot for them to be able to do that, especially with all the great talent that’s out here. Trying to get into the National Football League and for these men to make that sacrifice for me, then I owe them the same thing in return.”

(On where Joyner’s football mantra, ‘Everybody has a plan until they get hit’ comes from)
JOYNER: “That’s just something that I’ve learned in life. Just from the background I come from, the area I come from, you always have the kids around the neighborhood who think they’re the baddest and the toughest until they get hit back and then now everyone’s panicking. We all play football for the ultimate goal – say, for instance, Super Bowls. Everybody’s going into the offseason training and working hard to make it to that ultimate goal but things happen. Things alter that. You get adversity and it’s the guys that can make it through that achieve what they plan on doing, so that’s where I adopted that from. From what I’ve been through in my life and just putting everything into perspective from the way we plan and you just have things in life that alters that.”

(On if Mason was shocked that he had 46 carries in the SEC Championship game)
MASON: “I was at the end of the game. I’ve never touched those (number) carries in my life. At the end of the game, I didn’t feel like I’d touched 46 carries. When they told me, I was pretty shocked.”

(On if it helped that he wasn’t tackled much in that game)
MASON: “Yeah, it did. It helped a whole lot.”

(On if they’ve gotten a peek at the playbook yet)
JOYNER: “We haven’t gotten to that part yet, but, like Coach Fisher said, it’s a process. I love the way they’re going about business and introducing us to the organization and taking it a day at a time, and I think that’s the right way to do it.”

(On how Mason felt the day after the SEC Championship game)
MASON: “It felt pretty bad the next day – I can say that. Throughout the game, it was just a lot of hard work and dedication and determination to not leave Atlanta without a ring. Thinking back on that, I needed those 46 carries.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, GM Les Snead, 4th-7th Round Draft Selections, Press Conference, 5-13-14
Posted 13 May 2014

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, General Manager Les Snead, Draft 4th-7th Round Draft Selections: DB Maurice Alexander, DB E.J. Gaines, QB Garrett Gilbert, DB Christian Bryant, DE Michael Sam, OL Demetrius Rhaney

2014 Draft Class Press Conference – May 13, 2014

(Opening Remarks)

Coach Fisher: “Alright, here is Day 3 (the draft selections from the third day of the draft). We’ve got Maurice (Alexander), E.J. (Gaines), Garrett (Gilbert), Mitchell Van Dyk is not with us. He is on the quarter system, he’ll be in Thursday. Christian Bryant, Michael Sam, and Demetrius Rhaney.”

Snead: “We’re going to do one request. We’re going to ask Demetrius the first question. Since we picked Michael at 249, and Demetrius at 250, I’m not sure if anybody knows we actually drafted Demetrius.”
(Rhaney on how it feels to be the answer to trivia question, who was drafted after Michael Sam)
Rhaney: It feels good. I’m happy that they gave him the opportunity to be here, to play ball. He earned it. He had a good senior campaign.”
(Rhaney on what it felt like to get drafted)
Rhaney: “I feel good. I’m happy to be here. Thanks to Mr. Kroenke, Mr. Snead and Coach Fisher for giving me the opportunity to come here and play ball and contribute to the team.”

(Rhaney on how it felt to come into Rams Park today and see his locker)
“It felt good, like a dream come true.”

(Rhaney on what he went through to get to this point)
“I went through a lot coming out of high school. Some transcript issues, so I had to sign up to a junior college in Iowa. I played two years there and then transferred over to Tennessee State. Coming out of high school, my mom passed when I was in middle school. And I lost my grandmother and my great grandmother on the same date in high school, coming up into signing day. It’s been a long road, but I’m thankful.”

(Rhaney on if he lost his grandmother and great grandmother on the exact same day or same date, different years)
“Same day. My grandmother and my great grandmother. One passed that morning, at like four o’clock that morning and then my great grandmother passed that night at like 10 o’clock.”

(Rhaney on how he got through losing two loved ones on the same day)
“I just toughed it out. I had to go to two funerals the next week. But, I’m here and I’m thankful. I know they’re looking down on me proud. I’m thankful.”

(Alexander on working at the Edward Jones Dome after serving as a janitor there)
“It’s a dream come true. I’m from here and I always dreamed of playing here. I know my mother is proud of me, and my family. It’s just a dream come true.”

(Gaines on waiting a little bit longer than he thought to get drafted)
“I waited a little longer than I thought I would. But, like everybody said it’s a dream come true and it’s a blessing to be here now.”
(Gaines on how it felt to come into Rams Park and see his locker)
“Yeah, I did, like everybody else. I’m excited to be here and be a part of this program.”
(Sam on what it has been like the past two days)
“I still haven’t really…feel like I’m part of the NFL right now, I’m blessed really. I want to thank my head coach, Coach Fisher, and Mr. Kroenke and Mr. Snead, our general manager just for giving me the opportunity to play here.”

(Sam on if he thinks the extra publicity will be hard to handle once training camp hits)
“No, not at all. I’m determined to be great, so I’m going to train hard and try to make the team.”

(Bryant on how the past few days have been)
“These past few days have just been great right now. I’ve overcome some adversities throughout this year and it’s just good to get the opportunity to get drafted to an NFL team.”

(Bryant on his coach from Ohio State saying that when he went down last year with an ankle injury, the defense wasn’t the same and what that means to him)
“When I went down for my senior season, I think it was kind of tough on the whole Ohio State organization. I know it definitely hurt some of the coaches just because of my leadership that I was willing to help the team with my fourth year at Ohio State. But, everything happens for a reason and I’m just happy to be here today.”

(Bryant on if he is 100 percent healthy or continuing to rehab)
“I’m pretty much 100 percent. I’m still in the rehab process though, trying to get back to where I want to be exactly. It’s still going to take a little bit of time and I’m ready for this process.”

(Gilbert on how it has been since he was drafted and when he got to St. Louis)
“I got here yesterday in the afternoon and we’ve been pretty much going ever since, it’s been exciting. It’s been a lot of fun. Obviously, like the rest of these guys, I want to thank Mr. Kroenke, Mr. Snead and Coach Fisher, as well as the rest of the Rams organization for bringing us in here. We’re excited to get to work.”
(Gilbert on if he has had a chance to try St. Louis barbeque, like he mentioned in his conference call)
“No. I want to try some of those St. Louis-style ribs. I think I’ll have to wait a couple days, but I’m excited about it.”

(Gilbert on if he has ever tried toasted ravioli)
“I’ll put that on the list.”

(Gaines on what sort of teammate Sam is)
“He’s a great teammate. I feel like I have to say that (laughs). No, I’m just playing. He’s a good teammate. He brings something different to the team. I’m excited to see him play for the Rams.”

(Sam on what kind of teammate Gaines is)
“He’s okay (laughs). But no, E.J. works hard. Like I said, we had a great year in 2013, coming from a 5-7 team to a 12-2. E.J. was my former captain, so I’m sure he’ll bring that same leadership from Mizzou here, and I can’t wait.”

(Sam on being in the building with former Auburn players)
“You know what, I don’t know, I’m kind of heated up a little bit…Coach Fisher (laughs). They’re going to be great. Tre (Mason) and Greg (Robinson) are great players and they’re going to be great teammates.”

(Gaines on being in the building with former Auburn players)
“Yeah, I feel the same way. Coming into the locker room and talking to them, first thing they said, was ‘good game.’ A couple jokes here and there. Other than that, they are definitely good people, so I’m excited to play with them.”

(Sam on having the Mizzou fanbase built in already and how that will help him transition)
“It’s home to me. It feels just like home. Mizzou is only two hours away and I think one of the biggest Mizzou alumni (base) is in St. Louis, so it’s just home.”

(Gaines on having the Mizzou fanbase built in already in St. Louis and how that will help him transition)
“Yeah, I feel the same way. A lot of fans out here with a lot of support. And Mr. Kroenke is actually a Mizzou grad, so hopefully he’ll keep me around for a while.”

(Gilbert on if he has met QB Sam Bradford yet)
“I have. I got the chance to meet him this morning. Actually, we got to go out and watch them work a little bit, which is exciting. Obviously, a very talented player. I got to start asking some questions to all three quarterbacks. I’m really excited to jump in and start learning and working alongside those guys.”

(Gilbert on what he asked the quarterbacks)
“Just a couple things, basically just watching them do some routes individually. Try to stick my head in the huddle every now and then to hear a play call or something like that, so just asking them what they’re seeing, what they’re looking at in individual routes to be able to start picking up some things.”

(Gilbert on transferring to SMU from Texas and being coached by June Jones and how it helped him)
“I can’t thank Coach Jones enough for giving me a second chance after two years at Texas. I definitely had a little bit of a roller coaster college experience, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I feel like it has made me both a stronger person and a stronger football player and helped me get to this point. Again, I can’t thank Coach Jones enough for giving me a second chance and teaching me as much as he did about the game of football and the position. It was definitely a little bit of a roller coaster, but I’m excited about where it led me and obviously, where it will continue to lead me.”

(Sam on the saying, I am pissed off for greatness)
“Just we want to be good at what we do. We’ve been playing this game for so long and now we have an opportunity to play at the highest level of football. We’re determined to be great. That passion is going to help us to do that.”

(Sam on being termed a ‘tweener’ during the pre-draft process)
“That’s the first I’ve heard that (laughs). You know what, I’m getting coached by one of the best defensive line coaches in this game, Coach (Mike) Waufle, and one of the best defensive coordinators, Coach (Gregg) Williams. I think we’re going to do everything we can to make this a great defense in 2014.”

(Rhaney on if he has always played center)
“Actually, my senior year was my first year playing center. I played guard junior year, and my sophomore and freshman year I played offensive tackle. It’s different, but I learned to love it. That’s what got me here, so I love it.”

(Alexander on if he has given any thought to how it will feel to play in the Dome after working as a janitor there)
“It’s going to be an emotional moment. To go from working there as a janitor to playing there, so it’s going to be an emotional moment.”
(Alexander on if he keeps in touch with any of his previous coworkers)
“No, I don’t.”

(Alexander on if he will see any previous coworkers at the games)
“Hopefully, I’ll probably see a couple of them.”

(Alexander on if he had to pay his way through Utah State when he got a second chance to play there)
“Yes, that’s correct. That’s why I worked out there as a janitor, so financially…I had to take classes, online classes and stuff like that, some state classes, so I worked it to pay for those.”

(Alexander on if it sunk in yet that this has happened)
“It’s sunk it, but I can’t wait to be out there with the vets and the coaches. It’s still a dream come true, so I can’t wait.”

(Alexander on if his mom is a Rams fan)
“No, she’s a (Green Bay) Packer fan.”

(Alexander on if his mom will have to change allegiances now)
“She’s going to be a Rams fan.”

(Gaines on what it will be like to play with other former Missouri Tigers Tim Barnes and T.J. Moe, in addition to Sam)
“It’s exciting. Those are two great teammates that I’ve played with in the past. I know that they can bring great things to this locker room also, so I’m excited to see what they can do for us.”

(Gaines on if he was surprised, shocked or just happy when he got drafted to the Rams, knowing he had two former teammates on the current roster and then seeing Sam get drafted to the same team)
“A little bit of everything. I was still caught up in getting drafted at that time too. Just seeing him go there, one of my family members, brothers from college, it was exciting. So I was just as happy for him as I was for myself.”

(Gaines on if it was tough to keep Sam’s sexuality a secret during last season)
“I wouldn’t say it was tough. What happens between us, was between the family, the Mizzou family and we all knew that. When it came out, there wasn’t much to it other than keep it to yourself.”

(Sam on the competition at the defensive line)
“I just saw the D-line working today and I just saw the hunger in their eyes. They are ready for a good season in 2014. Like I said, they’re getting coached by one of the best in the league. A few moments after if I got drafted, Michael Strahan texted me and said, ‘You couldn’t be coached by a better defensive line coach than Coach Waufle’.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TRANSCRIPT: Rams OL Greg Robinson and DT Aaron Donald, Press Conference, 5-13-14
Posted 13 May 2014

Rams OL Greg Robinson, DT Aaron Donald 2014 Draft Class Press Conference – May 13, 2014

(On what the last couple days have been like)

Robinson: “Well, since the draft, I’ve just been trying to get everything straight with my mom and everything back home. Since I’ve gotten here, I’ve been here since yesterday, and it’s been an enjoyable time just meeting all the guys in the locker room and interacting with the coaches and stuff like that.”

Donald: “It’s been a blessing just to get here, but I’m just ready to go to work. It’s been good to meet the other guys and get to know them, get to talk to the coaches and just get ready for this career.”

(On the long road to getting drafted starting in January and to now prepare for the NFL finally)
Robinson: “It’s a wonderful feeling. Like you said, it has been a long process and really the part that made it feel even longer was just from finishing the combine and pro day and just waiting really. Traveling and trying to stay in shape. Finally that time is here and overall it’s just like, you can’t let all that hard work go to waste. So, I’m anxious to get to work and I’m really happy that I’m here.”

Donald: “Real long process, you know, a lot of workouts, lot of Senior Bowl, lot of meetings, but I’m just happy with where I’m at. I feel like I can do some special things here with the players around, just to learn from those guys and from the coaches. I’m just excited about it.”

(On his emotions he felt after hearing his name called when he was drafted)
Robinson: “Really, it wasn’t me, but from when I got the call and just hearing my family behind me as I was on the phone, it just made me a little more emotional. I tried to stay strong because a few guys told me don’t cry, but it’s just something that happened.”

(On if Robinson and Donald worked out together before the draft)
Robinson: “Yes, sir.”

(On if they ever talked about potentially playing on the same NFL team together)
Donald: “We never talked about it. We were cool. We worked out. We pushed each other. We motivated each other, but we would’ve never thought that we were going to be on the same team. We were just talking about that yesterday like, ‘Wow, what’s the chances of this happening.’ All that hard work, it paid off and we’re here today.”

(On if he cried at the draft)
Robinson: “At the draft I did, yes. As my mom cried it just worked on me and I cried. I shed a few tears. I didn’t want all the cameras in my face because I’m not that type of guy (laughs).”

(On how long they worked out together)
Robinson: “Well, I went up right after the national championship. He was already there because he already had like two weeks into the program. As far as me getting there and just working out with him, he was one of the strongest guys there so they put me with him and we were together for about a month.”

(On how much he thinks his Senior Bowl performance helped his draft stock)
Donald: “I feel like everything along the way from my football season to the Senior Bowl to the combine, to being able to sit down and interview, I feel like that all helped me a lot. It’s always good to get out there and show you can play football in the football pads, but at the same time I showed who I am off the football field as a person, so I feel like that all added up and helped me out a lot.”

(On if he surprised himself with his performance at the Senior Bowl)
Donald: “I was just excited. It’s just another opportunity to play the game I love to play, and that’s football. So, I just went out there with that mindset. It’s only football, so I just went out there and competed.”

(On if any of the offensive linemen told him to turn it down a notch at the Senior Bowl)
Donald: “No, we were just out there battling.”

(On where the trained)
Robinson: “Arizona.”

(On potentially going up against each other during one-on-one drills)
Robinson: “It is what it is. It’s a competitive sport, but I think this would be the best thing for me if that’s what the coaches think, so I’m just doing what I’m required to do.”

Donald: “We’re going to push each other, just like we did at API (Athletes’ Performance Training Facility). We’re going to just work. We’re going get each other ready for the season.”

(On if and when he envisioned playing in the NFL)
Donald: “It was always a dream of mine. You put forth the effort, God will take of the outcome. So, I put forth the effort and I worked my butt off, did what I had to do on the football field and off the football field and it just paid off for me.”

(On if he is excited to start a new chapter of his life in St. Louis considering the fact that he grew up and went to school in Pittsburgh, Pa.)
Donald: “Yes it is. I’m real excited about it. Just to go out and like I said, I’m with a great defensive line. I get to learn from those guys, with a great defensive coach. So, I’m just excited about it. I’m pumped up about it and I just can’t wait to go out there and compete and show those guys what I can do.”

(On having DE Michael Sam as a teammate)
Robinson: “Well, yesterday we got in and he seems like a real cool guy, like he’s been telling everybody. Me and him did a commercial together. The VISA commercial he did was just like judging by the things that he does on the field. I don’t think he’ll be a problem in the locker room just because of the guy that he comes off as. He’s real cool and he’s been trying to interact with us because he knows we probably have those thoughts in the back of our head, but I think everybody makes their own decisions and if that’s the way he wants to live his life, that’s him. But, I don’t think it will interfere with football.”

Donald: “He’s a football player. I got the opportunity to meet him at the (Vince) Lombardi and at the (Bronko) Nagurski awards. Cool guy and like Greg said, it’s what he does on the football field. He’s a football player. He works his butt off and that’s what you want. You want playmakers around you and he’s a playmaker.”

(On what his VISA commercial is like)
Robinson: “It was just like the things I overcame like losing my dad, the (Hurricane) Katrina situation and just how I rebuilt and tried to write a story for myself and not off of the past because a lot of people that have been through that and went through the same things I went through, it probably took them down and they went down the right path. But, everything that happened in my life that’s bad, I try to use it as motivation.”

(On how he didn’t go down the wrong path growing up after facing so much adversity)
Robinson: “Just because it was my choice and I don’t think responding to something negatively will make it a better situation.”

(On if it has sunk in that he has overcome so many life challenges and finally made it in the NFL or has he been too busy to notice)
Robinson: “Well, I have been busy, but like I said, I use it as motivation. So, I just try to work…and just keep working hard and just letting all those things build, and I don’t think about them much. I know there were times I sat in my room and just thought about my dad. He hasn’t seen me play one college football game and he’s gone. Just to be a positive influence on my neighborhood and let those around me know that there’s hope and dreams can come true.”

(On how he felt when he heard the Rams drafted RB Tre Mason)
Robinson: “Before they drafted him I had just texted him, ‘Good luck,’ and everything. I kind of stopped paying attention to the draft, but then he called me and he was like, ‘Bro, I’m a Ram.’ I just broke out because I could just hear in his voice he was getting emotional. I could hear him crying over the phone. I was like, man that’s crazy. I would’ve never thought that. It was a great feeling and just to have someone as close as him along with me that would be a positive also.”

(On his relationship with Mason and clearing the way for a lot of his yards in college)
Robinson: “We got recruited together, so when we both committed to Auburn we went our separate ways for a little while because it’s like I play O-Line, he’s a skill guy. But, it’s just like his personality and me all together, it’s just like we bonded and a lot of guys on the team, we got close to one another. I actually went home with him a few times. He came to my house. It’s just like that brotherhood, and it’s great to share those kinds of things with your teammates. I’ve met his family and everything, along with on the field I just work hard because I know he’s running the ball. I’ve got to help my brother out and that just made things a little better.”

(On if he’s been back home to Thibodaux, La. following the draft)
Robinson: “I haven’t been back to Thibodaux since the draft.”

(On the response he’s received from back home)
Robinson: “The day of the draft they opened the local park and they had a big projector on the basketball court and the whole neighborhood came out and watched me get drafted. I saw a few videos and it’s just crazy. They blocked off the streets and stuff. It’s just a blessing.”

(On seeing the support from his hometown and how that made him feel)
Robinson: “It means a lot. I thought about it and also I just recently signed with Nike and I told them, if anything, can they donate money to my school because we didn’t have much. So, the first opportunity I could to do something positive for the neighborhood or anywhere that I came from, it’s just a blessing to me and I’m happy to be in this position where I could do something like that.”

(On if he’s met with the Rams defensive line yet)
Donald: “Yes, I met with them. They came up to me and talked to me. I’m excited for the opportunity to talk to them the last two days they’ve been here.”

(On the Rams’ defensive line being a special group when it comes to pass rushing and how he feels joining that group)
Donald: “I’m real excited just to have those veteran guys like that around me. I can learn from them and if I need something, anything answered that I feel like I’m struggling with, I can ask those guys and they can push me and help me to take my game to another level, so I’m real excited about it.”

(On if he told his fellow defensive linemen that he’d be able to do his share to contribute)
Donald: “We’re going to see. I’ve still got to go out there and earn the respect from those guys and show them what I can do on the football field.”

(On how they felt when they first arrived to Rams Park)
Donald: “It was amazing when I came in the locker room. I saw that I had a locker with my name and my number on it, that’s when I knew that it was official. It was just like a dream come true – something you’ve been dreaming about since you were 5 or 6 years old. To see it all fall in place how it did, it’s just amazing. I’m just ready to go to work.”

Robinson: “It was a dream come true (for me) also. It’s just like reality hit me as I walked through the doors. I’ve been here on a visit with the Top 30 and just coming in and, like he said, seeing your name in that locker. Actually, it was a crazy thought I had, in college I couldn’t fit in my locker, so I sat back in my locker and it’s just a crazy feeling.”

(On if he can fit in his locker now)
Robinson: “Yes, sir. I can fit in my locker.”

(On why he tried to get in his locker in college)
Robinson: “Because I tried once in college when I just got tired after practice and just tried to just push in the locker a little bit. I couldn’t fit.”

(On what he thinks his ceiling is)
Robinson: “Well that ceiling, I control that ceiling. So, it’s just how much I want to lear. It’s just as far as going into it with a positive attitude and trusting the coaches. I believe (Offensive Line) Coach Paul Boudreau has a great plan for the O-Line. I’ve meet with a few guys. Today, they were doing a few drills and they were interacting and trying to help me understand it a little better. It’s just how much I want to learn.”

(On if there is a ‘healthy pressure’ to produce right away as first round picks)
Robinson: “I believe that to much is given, much is expected. So, it’s hard to go into it with high expectations when these guys have been doing this for years and years. I feel like you’ve just got to go along with it and you fall in place wherever you land, you land. It’s just all about your work ethic and how hard you work.”

(On what he remembers about Sam from playing against each other in the SEC Championship)
Robinson: “Actually, they switched around a lot. As they line up on me, I didn’t even know who I was playing. I just knew my assignment and that’s all I really focused on.”

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
JOYNER: “I came on a blitz on the edge and it was a stalemate. Most big guys, I kind of use my athleticism to get around, but Greg, he’s a big, athletic guy. It was a stalemate, so, yeah, he’s a pretty good football player.”

Don't be too modest Lamarcus. You clearly won the battle, you tossed Robinson aside like he weighed nothing.