TRANSCRIPT: Fisher, Clemens, Carroll, Wilson (10/24)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – October 24, 2013

(On QB Kellen Clemens’ strengths)
“He’s got a really good understanding of our offense. He sees the field well, moves well in the pocket and he’s mobile for his age. Not that he’s an old quarterback, but he’s mobile. He can move around and extend plays, which is good.”

(On QB Austin Davis)
“We were fortunate he was here and he stayed in shape and been working out. It just makes it that much easier when you’ve got a guy in that spot that knows what he’s doing, it makes it much easier for the play caller. In the event that something happens, he can go in, he can put yourself in position to execute some plays as opposed to someone that goes in with a real small package.”

(On Davis’ retention of the playbook)
“Yeah, it’s like he never left. Those were his words when he walked in the door, too. So they had fun.”

(On if they contacted retired QB Brett Favre)
“During the process, I didn’t disclose any information, and I feel no need to disclose information after the process. That’s how we are, but I’d be happy to talk about (QB Tyler) Thigpen who we worked out, who we disclosed and the two that we signed. That’s consistent with our philosophy and our policy. I don’t talk about the process.”

(On Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch)
“All kinds of problems. Indy’s got a pretty good defense and he runs for 107 (yards) and the quarterback runs for 107 against Indy. So, they present all kinds of problems. He’s an outstanding back. He plays good without the ball. He’s a good blocker. I saw a game where there’s a turnover and he comes and strips defensive lineman from behind, knocks the ball out, those kinds of things. He’s just an outstanding running back, and they’ve got depth as well. (RB Robert) Turbin’s a good football player as well.”

(On how CB Cortland Finnegan looks in practice)
“He worked yesterday, he did a little bit more today. We’re optimistic.”

(On if playing in a Monday night game is special to the players)
“Yeah, of course it is. I said this, the coaches aren’t real fond of it because it’s a short week the next, but the players, yeah, they love it. Needless to say, we’ve got quite a few of them who haven’t played in a Monday night game, so we’ll calm them down as the week goes on.”

(On his decision to not keep Davis on the practice squad after training camp)
“It wasn’t easy. We just felt like we had some other players we had a chance to develop and so on and so forth. We really didn’t know what his future was going to hold, hoped that he would be out there and available if we needed to call upon him.”

(On the Seahawks defensive backs)
“It’s very, very good. Very talented. Both safeties are very good players, run support players, pass defenders. And what can I say about the corners? They’re ball hawks and they get up and challenge people and they create problems outside for you, so they’re very good.”

Rams QB Kellen Clemens – Post-Practice – October 24, 2013

(On if he’s excited to play)
“Yeah. Like you said, it’s an unfortunate circumstance for (QB) Sam (Bradford). He’s a guy that I admire and I respect as a player, as a person, but at the same time, somebody’s going to have to play. So, I am excited that I get that opportunity.”

(On what his strengths are as a quarterback)
“I think the first thing is going to be experience. I’ve been in this system for a long time. I’ve been in the league eight years now, so I’ve seen a lot of stuff and I do have a pretty good relationship, I think, with my teammates. So, from a leadership standpoint I can bring that and there’s some other little things that I try to do. But, I’m not going to sit here and toot my own horn for you, sorry. Ask them and don’t quote them if they don’t give you anything good.”

(On how well he knows the offense going into Monday night compared to his first start with the Rams in 2011 after four practices)
“This is a little bit more comfortable for me right now than it was last time. I’m not going to be staying up too late at night trying to figure out what even the play call is. I hope we don’t break the huddle Monday Night and I don’t know where anybody’s going and that happened a few times the last time I was playing. So, we should be in a better situation.”

(On how long it takes to adjust to taking all of the first team reps)
“Should take us about three practices. I feel pretty good. We’ve had a chance…it’s nice to have an extra day, so that helps. We got some good work in yesterday and I’ve been working over the past seven weeks stealing a rep here, stealing a rep there trying to get as prepared as possible should this situation come up. So, I think come Monday night we should be firing on all cylinders.”

(On facing Seattle’s defense that is ranked second in the NFL)
“Well, that’s good. It could be the first.”

(On what challenges the Seattle defense presents)
“Every challenge you could think of. They’re a good football team. They really are. They’re solid up front, the d-line. Obviously, they’ve got (DE) Chris Clemons coming off the edge, (DE Cliff) Avril when they want to bring him in. So, they’ve got a great pass rush. Linebackers are solid, good players, run to the ball. Then, the secondary’s going to be a great challenge for us, probably one of the better combinations of corners that we will face between (Richard) Sherman and (Brandon) Browner. (S) Kam Chancellor is a great run-stopping safety. He’s good in coverage. He’s a safety in a d-end’s body. It’s not fair. It really isn’t. Then, Earl Thomas playing in the back, Pro Bowl guy. He plays the entire field. He really does. You’ve got to be aware of where he is because he’s got some Ed Reed tendencies where he just goes off feel. He’s very dangerous, great athlete. He’s good with the ball in his hands. There’s not a lot of chinks in that defensive armor.”

(On Thomas’ safety play)
“He’s got great instincts and I don’t think that he’s ever not where he’s supposed to be. Some times he’s not where you expect him to be, but he’s right where the ball is. He’s a dangerous player back there, great athlete, great speed, good ball skills if the ball’s in the air. So, definitely a guy that you’ve got to be aware of.”

(On if he’d rather be playing a lower ranked defense)
“You know what, I’m excited for the opportunity. I don’t care if they throw…whoever – I don’t know a local high school yet – I don’t care who they throw out there. I’m excited for the opportunity and we’re going to have a good week of practice and be ready for Monday night.”

(On if the possibility of the Cardinals playing a World Series game in St. Louis on Monday night will affect the number of fans in attendance)
“Not really something that I can worry about, but we’ll take everybody we can get. So, hopefully the Cardinals are blowing them out early and everybody want to leave Busch Stadium and come join our party.”

(On a player jumping offsides to the crowd’s reaction when Mark McGwire hit his 70th home run in a single season)
“Well, good thing Mark isn’t playing on Monday night I guess.”

(On if the team can utilize the ‘us against the world’ mentality)
“There’s something to that and there’s a little bit of motivation. But at the same time, we’re professionals. Every guy in this locker room at some point’s been an underdog. It comes with the territory. You’re either favored or you’re not. It doesn’t matter. We’re going to go out there and play our best ball and hopefully come away with a win.”

===================

TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll & QB Russell Wilson, 10-24-13

Seattle Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll – Conference Call – October 24, 2013

(On the game Monday)
“We’re excited to be playing on Monday night. Big division matchup and all that. It’s really the next big step that we can take and we’re excited about getting ready to play.”

(On if Monday night adds to the team’s excitement to play)
“I think, we always say, everybody’s growing up loving Monday Night Football and the chance to be part of it is always special. So, that just adds to the fun of the game and all, but we’ve got to get ready, put together a great week in preparation so that we can take advantage of that opportunity.”

(On how Seattle’s long break between games helps a team at this point in the season)
“It certainly helps. It’s like a mini bye (week) and we tried to take full advantage of that. Our team’s been playing real hard, working really hard, and we wanted to see if we could get as much of a break as possible and so we did that and we’re back into a full week swing. I think it should help us through the next couple weeks, and then before too long we have our official bye coming up.”

(On if the Rams are a dangerous team to play right now)
“We have tremendous respect for (Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) and the work that he does, his staff and that football team – the way they play the game and how tough and physical they play it. I know that they would love to have (QB) Sam (Bradford) and we understand that, but this is a team that can beat you in a lot of ways. They beat us with their field goal team last year, so we understand and respect the heck out of this matchup.”

(On if they are going to adjust their defensive preparation for QB Kellen Clemens instead of Bradford)
“I don’t know that. Until they show us what they’re going to do, we have to count on them pretty much staying the same. They made a big commitment to put together their schemes and their attack, and so I don’t know. Kellen has been around a long time. The fact that he’s been with ‘Schott’ (Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) all this time, they have a great background. I’m sure they have an in-depth understanding of what they expect and the system and all that. And he’s played plenty of good enough football in the past, we expect for him to be at his best and we’re going to try to get ready for all that.”

(On the Rams defense)
“There’s 11 guys over there that are special. They come after you. They’re as aggressive and play as hard as anybody we’ve played. The attack from the edges from (DE) Chris (Long) and (DE Robert) Quinn, those guys come flying at you. (DT Michael) Brockers is a big dude in the middle that makes things happen and shores up the inside. Linebacking crew is good and fast and they move around and attack you in ways that make it hard on you. It’s a very aggressive group and a good looking group on the back end.”

(On being off to their best start as a franchise at 6-1 but still having room for improvement)
“Yeah, we haven’t played great and we do everything to get it right, and you really hit it on all cylinders. We’ve had spots in games, throughout all of these games that have made it difficult on us and areas that we can improve on. We’ve had a lot of penalties, we’ve turned the ball over at times, and in inopportune times in games and our opponents took full advantage of it. So, there’s a lot of stuff that we think we can improve at and clean up. We’ve dealt with an offensive line that’s been kind of mixed and matched here for a while and it’s going to continue to be that way. We’re trying to grow with the young guys and they’ll fit in and hopefully we’ll continue to improve. We need to run the ball more consistently. We haven’t been as consistent. We’ve used a lot of the quarterback yardage to add to our rushing average and it’s a little bit hidden in some way. I don’t think it’s as good at it can be, and so there’s a lot of areas that we’re working to improve on.”

(On the Seahawks defense’s success so far this season)
“It’s a good group. It’s a really solid group up front. We have good speed on the edge and the secondary can go. We really like our guys on the back end, so we have a really together group that’s played a long time, a long time being two years, together. They feel confident that they can carry out the schemes that we want to play and we try to play very aggressive coverage-wise and see if that works out for us. We’d like to see that we continue to build on our pass rush. We’re working hard there and maintain a really good, consistent run play.”

(On the differences he sees in QB Russell Wilson from Year 1 to Year 2)
“Just better command of everything. He’s just more comfortable. This is a kid that really can utilize a deeper understanding of what we’re doing because he can act on it, he can help other guys. I think, probably as much as anything, he’s helping other guys play better around him with the reminders and heads ups and the things that he can do. The tips that he can give guys as for going through the process of the game and practice and all. So, it’s just his expanded understanding of what’s going on. He’s no better athletically because he’s a terrific athlete. I don’t think he’s better throwing the football or any of those kinds of things. I think it’s just his command of what we’re asking of himself and then all of the rest of the guys with the offense, it’s pretty clearly obvious.”

(On RB Marshawn Lynch)
“Well, we were really excited when we got him. We went after him, it took a long time to get that transaction to come through with Buffalo back in the day. Because of his attitude and his personality and the style, we wanted him on our football team in hopes that he would become what he has become for us. He’s always been a good player, but here he kind of sets the tone and the style of play, like you’re saying, and that’s something that we were really excited about. We always want to be a tough, physical football team. If you don’t run the football with attitude, I don’t think you can ever be that, so he gives us a chance and he’s playing really good ball and hopefully we can keep that going.”

(On WR Percy Harvin’s status)
“It’s day to day. We’re just going one day at a time and seeing how he takes to the workload, and we’re trying to just really take our time figuring it out and bring him back so he’s back for the long haul once he gets back.”

Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson – Conference Calls – October 24, 2013

(On what the difference is between this year and his rookie year)
“I think the biggest difference for me is the command of the offense. I have a little bit more poise in big situations, I believe, just from experience. The speed of the game has slowed down good amount for me and also making the protection calls and doing everything that I need to do to help our football team win, I think that’s where I’ve grown a lot. Obviously, being voted captain, that allows your leadership role to be heightened a little bit, so there’s a few more things that I have to do with these guys to make sure that we’re always ready to play. Our mentality is to go 1-0 every week. That’s the thing that we focus on and it’s a huge NFC West game this week. So, it’s going to be a challenge against a very, very good, well-coached football team. So, we’re excited about it.”

(On being voted captain on a veteran team and if the captains were decided by the players or the coaches)
“By the players. That’s just a blessing, but it’s one of things that you just come to work every day and just put the hard work in. We have so many leaders on this football team it’s unbelievable. There’s so many guys that are so dedicated from the defensive side of the ball, to the offensive side of the ball, to the special teams. It’s just an honor to be on this team, first of all. That’s the thing that I look at, just to be able to be the starting quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks. It’s a great organization with (Head) Coach (Pete) Carroll being the head coach, great coach, great coaching staff. John Schneider gave me the chance, the GM, in terms of drafting me and (Owner) Paul Allen too and Coach Carroll. So, it’s an honor to be here.”

(On the offense being a fun system to play in with the players that are around him)
“Yeah. We’ve got a lot of talented players on the flank, in terms of the receiver position. The tight ends have been doing a great job for us this year. (TE) Zach Miller is so consistent, he’s a great blocker, great catcher. He makes big plays for us. Then, you’ve (TE) Luke Willson who’s a speedy tight end. He’s strong too in the blocking game, and then (TE) Kellen Davis who’s made some big plays for us. Then, you think about (RB) Marshawn Lynch, one of the best running backs, if not the best, in the National Football League. He’s just brings so much energy, so much toughness to the game. And it all starts with the offensive line, Max Unger being the center, a Pro Bowl center. He shows so much leadership and so much understanding of the game. You’ve got to love playing with him.”

(On what things the Seattle offense can improve on)
“I think the biggest thing is just, obviously, eliminating any turnovers that we ever have. I think that capitalizing in situations. I think we need to be better on third down at times. We did a great job last week. We’re improving week-to-week, and our goal is to just continue to progress and that’s the biggest thing. You don’t want to be…you always want to be able to continue to grow and continue to progress on offense. I think our biggest thing is can we be better than yesterday? When we hit the field, it’s game time and we want to compete to do the best that we can to bring a little fire to the game and play great football.”

(On having extra days off after playing on Thursday night last week)
“I think it gives you a little more energy. I think it lets your body rest a little bit. We’ve played a lot of tough games, traveled all the way to the East Coast several times and played in some big games and stuff. So, just so you can be able to get a few days off and Coach Carroll does a tremendous job of getting us ready. I think the biggest thing too is the players get ready, the mentality, the mental aspect of the game. Our biggest thing is let’s make sure that we’re preparing the right way and getting ready to have a great game.”

(On if their success makes it easy to come to practice every day)
“Yeah. Coming to this facility every day, this coaching staff, this organization, with the players that we have in this locker room, it’s a joy. It’s a pleasure. You love it. It’s one of those things that if you love the game of football, it’s the best thing in the world just to be able to play the game of football. I was telling Coach (Offensive Coordinator Darrell) Bevell today, this morning after our walkthrough, it’s a blessing to play football for a living. It’s one of those things that just being able to wake up and watch film and study the game and then hit the field on Sunday. There’s nothing better.”

(On the Rams defense)
“They’re explosive, I know that. Just going against them last year, they’re so talented. It all starts with their front seven, how active they are, how they get to the quarterback. Guys that I know, I grew up with (DE) Chris Long and grew up knowing his family and every like that. He’s such a high motor. You’ve got the rest of the defensive linemen up there, the guys inside. Then obviously, you have (DE Robert) Quinn, too, come off the edge, who I played against at the University of North Carolina. So, you know those guys. You know the type of players they are. They’re strong, fast, physical players. Then, you think about the linebackers and they’re doing such a great job. They’re creating turnovers. They’re doing great things on defense. Then, the secondary’s making plays too. So, you have a lot of respect for them and they’re coached extremely well. (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher’s an all-time coach, one of those guys that you have so much respect for and everything like that. So, you know they’re coached extremely well. I think our biggest thing is making sure that we’re poised and we just play a great game and just stay in the moment. Play one play at a time and have a great week of practice. Let it go on Sunday and we’ll see what happens, or Monday I should say.”

(On if this game is easy for the Seahawks)
“No. We don’t think that at all. It’s Monday Night Football. It’s a big game and it’s a very, very good NFL football team that’s coached extremely well in a tough environment. We know that this game’s going to be extremely tough for us. We know what they have to bring and offer, especially on the defensive side of the ball. At least I know that because I am playing against them. It’s one of those things that they’re a very, very talented football team that’s coached extremely well and do a lot of great things. So, we’re going to have to bring our ‘A+’ game and every game like we say is a championship game and this is our game this week that we have to understand that this is a huge game for both teams and we have to go 1-0 this week. That’s our mentality.”

(On if the Rams have nothing to lose against the Seahawks)
“I wouldn’t say that. I wouldn’t go to that extreme, but I just think that they’re a very good football team and we know they’ll be ready to play.”

(On if he expects WR Percy Harvin to play on Monday)
“I don’t know. I don’t know what’s going to be the circumstances there. That’s for Coach (Carroll) and the doctors and Percy to decide. We have a great football team and then whenever we’re able to add Percy that’s just going to bring a little bit more electricity to our offense and we’re excited about that whenever that is.”

(On if he has a gut feeling if Harvin will play against the Rams)
“I have no idea. I have no idea.”

had

Rookie
(On how CB Cortland Finnegan looks in practice)
“He worked yesterday, he did a little bit more today. We’re optimistic.”

***Not exactly a big vote of confidence.

(On what his (Clemens') strengths are as a quarterback)
“I think the first thing is going to be experience. I’ve been in this system for a long time. I’ve been in the league eight years now, so I’ve seen a lot of stuff and I do have a pretty good relationship, I think, with my teammates. So, from a leadership standpoint I can bring that and there’s some other little things that I try to do. But, I’m not going to sit here and toot my own horn for you, sorry. Ask them and don’t quote them if they don’t give you anything good.”

***"I can bring that"? That he has a pretty good relationship with his teammates? Here's praying Zach Stacy has a coming out party on Monday, and Clemens can hand the ball off a lot. Or I'm an ahole. I don't know. That quote is awful.

([Carroll] On the Seahawks defense’s success so far this season)
“It’s a good group. It’s a really solid group up front. We have good speed on the edge and the secondary can go. We really like our guys on the back end, so we have a really together group that’s played a long time, a long time being two years, together. They feel confident that they can carry out the schemes that we want to play and we try to play very aggressive coverage-wise and see if that works out for us. We’d like to see that we continue to build on our pass rush. We’re working hard there and maintain a really good, consistent run play.”

***Rams to run the ball on Monday. Again and again and again. And if Clemens has to throw for the Rams to win, I think there'll be a lot of agony.