TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll and LB Bobby Wagner (12-23-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll and LB Bobby Wagner (12-23-14)

Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll – Conference Call – December 23, 2014

(On the feeling in the organization)
“We’ve played pretty good ball for a while here. We’re trying to find all the right things to do to keep it consistent and all that. We know we’ve got a really great match-up coming up. We have got great respect for these guys and they’re tough in a lot of ways. We’re looking forward to a big game.”

(On when the team was 3-3 or 6-4 was there any doubt that they would be in the position they are now)
“Who said we were out of the playoff picture? It was the halfway point and stuff like that. We were just getting going. I think anybody who thinks they’re out of the playoff race in that part of the schedule is mistaken because you never know. There’s a lot of stuff that has to happen. A lot of games to be played and we just kept trying to find our best game. Finally got it together a little bit and started getting some wins, gave us a chance to play for the division which is really cool.”

(On if a big part of their struggles were injury related)
“No, I don’t think so. We weren’t playing very well. We’re still playing with different guys at different spots, that’s not it at all. You’re supposed to get your guys back. We just weren’t playing hard enough and we finally found our tempo and intensity that we need to play with to have a chance and that made all the difference. Coming out of the Kansas City game, we had been inconsistent up until then and then after the Kansas City game we finally got ready to be on track. Did something about it and put some big wins together.”

(On having LB Bobby Wagner return)
“It sure makes a difference. He’s the guy that calls all the defenses and he’s right in the middle of it all. We have really nice back-ups, (LB) K.J Wright took over for him at ‘Mike’ and he’s a real good player for us as well. It’s nice to have everybody back at their spots.”

(On how drafting Wagner has been a benefit)
“Yeah, he’s been a great addition to the team. He’s played as a starter since he got here. He’s got great speed. He uses it well. He’s tough. He’s a very good all-around athlete and he’s a great worker. He’s just everything that you’re looking for in a ‘Mike’ linebacker in our system. He’s done really well.”

(On what he’s seen from the Rams’ offense)
“We see that they can play great football. The back-to-back shut-outs, that’s so rare to do something like that. That takes everybody, that’s not just defense. That’s the kicking game doing well and great field position and the offense taking care of the football and not putting it in bad spots. What we see is, we see them at their best. I know it’s been a couple games since, but a really terrific game against Arizona and it was a tough one to lose, but they were in it the whole way and then last week. We see them at their best and we’re counting on these guys to be tough in all areas. They run it. They have a terrific receiving corps. The tight ends can get down the field. (QB) Shaun’s (Hill) done a nice job of managing the football, he’s not giving it up. Doing a real good job in that regard. You see (RB) Tre Mason, they look like they’re averaging almost four yards a play - that’s fantastic football to have to deal with. And the line is solid too, up front. The other side of the ball is a very aggressive team and that (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg (Williams), has been noted for and (Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) as well. They give you all kinds of problems with all kinds of athletes and they’re doing a bunch of really good stuff. They’ve been kind of on fire since really since our game. I think that’s when they got their first sack and they went crazy about it since. They’ve been rushing the passer like their hands are on fire. We’ve had all kinds of film to watch to learn how to respect them. Even that stuff with special teams, obviously we’re going to be tuned into because they kicked our butt last time out. We know we’ve got our hands full and it’s a great match-up for us.”

(On if it’s unusual that they’ve met the Rams in the season finale five out of six years)
“Really as you say, it does seem kind of like that’s the way it is. They’ve all been really important games. They’ve been terrific matches and we don’t expect this one to be any different.”

(On if it’s an advantage to have the regular season finale at home every year because of their home field advantage)
“Yeah, it always has been for us in general. It’s a great place to play for us and the 12s are amazing and our players are really tuned into it. We’ve been fortunate the schedule goes that way at the end. That just means we have a chance to play somewhere else, early on. I know for the Rams, they’re probably wondering when we’re going to play them at home at the last game. I’m sure it’ll come up soon.”

(On if how the Seahawks played Sunday was as good as he’s seen in the regular season as the head coach)
“They scared me because they had 11 penalties, 10 penalties in the first half. We really had 12 that they called. You can’t play great when you’re doing that, but all in all, by the time the game was over we put together a really good football game plan against a great defense and a great team in a crazy setting, which was as wild as it could get. Which was great for us. We needed to be there to see what it felt like with all that kind of noise and all that was terrific for us to try to get through it and that we did, with the young center and all that. We took a lot out of that game. We think we accomplished the fact that we went on the road and played against one of the toughest defenses in our division. Here we go again with the Rams and it gives us the confidence that we’re going to have a chance to play against these guys this week.”

(On how the back-up offensive linemen stepped up last week)
“We were proud of those guys. They did a great job, (C) Patrick Lewis playing and (OL) Alvin Bailey playing tackle. That was a fantastic job by those guys to hold up. Again, it’s because we respect the Cardinals so much. You guys know that too, you’ve seen how good they are. We felt very lucky that we pulled that off and played so well. Hopefully, they’ll be better for it and we’ll be better for it down the road.”

Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner – Conference Call – December 23, 2014

(On the performance of the defense at this point in the season)
“I think we’re playing really well right now. I think we’re on it, from the run game to the pass game. I think that we’re really gelling right now in the chemistry that we’ve got right now. It’s scary to the league.”

(On if the defense looks at statistics of past defenses to push them to be better)
“No, I don’t think we do that. I think how we push ourselves is just everybody at their position wants to be the best at their position. Then we’re kind of fighting for plays. When you’ve got everybody trying to make plays out there, you’ve got to capitalize on your ones that you get. So, you’ve really got 11 guys out there that are hungry and want to make every single play and flying around. One play, you probably have nine guys trying to get a tackle, which is rare. I think guys are just focused on trying to be great. We don’t really worry about the numbers, we just worry about what it looks like on tape.”

(On if team chemistry plays a role in the Seahawks success as well as having him and S Kam Chancellor back from injury)
“I think it plays a huge role just having everybody back, everybody healthy. At a point, when I was hurt and Kam was hurt you had guys playing multiple positions like (Seahawks LB) K.J. (Wright) and you had guys doing things that they weren’t really practicing for. I think with us back and us healthy, and just the team playing the way we’re playing even on the offensive side of the ball and special teams just having the chemistry that we’ve got is a really good thing right now.”

(On if when the team struggled early on in the season was there any doubt they would miss the playoffs in the locker room)
“No, it was a never a doubt in our organization that we were going to bounce back. We heard all, everybody talking bad and all that stuff, but we knew as soon as we turned around everybody was going switch up their talk and say how good we are again. I think we just focused on the people that were in the building and making sure we were straight, which we were. No, I don’t think doubt every crossed our mind. We knew we was going to have something happen we had to fight adversity to be great. We weren’t worried about it.”

(On how frustrating was it to watch the Week 7 loss to the Rams while he was nursing an injury)
“It was super frustrating because I watched it from home. So, I had to sit there and wait for commercial breaks and all that other crap that was going on. But, it was frustrating. But I plan to make a big impact this game.”

(On what he remembers from the Rams interest in him during the draft process)
“I remember everything was great. I talked to them before I knew they were very interested and I felt like if I wasn’t going to be in Seattle or whoever had the pick before that I was going to end there. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I could definitely tell through the conversations that we were having and just the vibe that they really wanted me to be there. I actually got a text right before I got drafted by the Seahawks from the (Rams) linebackers coach, but I’m happy where I’m at.”

(On if he remembers what the text from the linebackers coach said)
“Basically just be ready. They were about to pick me, but Seattle came first. That’s how the story’s written.”

(On if he did pre-draft visit to St. Louis)
“I came out there, they were kind of like towards the tail-end of my…because I had to go all over the place because I missed the combine, but there we kind of a couple of last teams I visited. I remember going out there and seeing their facility, talking to everybody.”

(On what he sees from the Rams’ offense)
“I think they’ve got a nice little running game. They’ve got a lot of misdirection stuff, so you’ve definitely got focus on your keys and focus on where the ball’s going because if you do enough studying you can know where the ball is going. But, I think they’ve got a lot of weapons, especially I really like their running back. It’s going to be a fun game.”

(On QB Shaun Hill)
“I think he does a good job of orchestrating everything; getting the ball out, making the right throws and really trying to be on point with everything. But, I think he hasn’t played a defense like ours, yet. It’s going to be a nice little match-up for him.”

(On if during his time with the Seahawks is the best the defense has played)
“I think so. I think just because we’ve had so many years together. We’ve had a lot of time not only just go over the defense, but play the defense with close to the same people each year. The more and more you play with somebody the more and more you get comfortable with them. You know what they like to do on certain places and it just makes you really, really fast. I think that’s what we’re doing. We’re really, really fast because we understand everybody and what everybody’s trying to do out there. It’s fun to be a part of.”

(On who are the unsung players on the Seahawks defense that are making contributions this season)
“I think (DT) Jordan Hill, K.J., (DT Kevin Williams) ‘K-Will’, (DT) Tony McDaniel, (DE) Cliff Avril, (DE) Mike Bennett. I think it’s a lot of guys who get credit and they don’t get the credit because the more and more everybody’s watching that you’re going to see how great of a team we are collectively.”