TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Buccaneers Head Coach Lovie Smith and LB Lavonte David, 9-10-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Buccaneers Head Coach Lovie Smith and LB Lavonte David, 9-10-14

Buccaneers Head Coach Lovie Smith – Conference Call – September 10, 2014

(On being back in Tampa Bay where his NFL coaching career started)
“It’s been great. We never truly left Tampa. We kept the place down here so, the part off of the football field has been an easy transition. And on the football field of course, we’re making progress. We have a long ways to go but our future looks bright.”

(On the tough opening week loss and how to get the offense going)
“Well it’s just not the offense, it’s the defense too. We did a decent job on our special teams. I think this is about the only game I’ve been in where our special teams didn’t have a penalty, which was big. But offensively you can’t turn the ball over, it’s kind of as simple as that. We had two big turnovers that really hurt us. We were also in field goal range where we took a sack and that took points off the board for us. I’m encouraged how we finished the game, scoring 14 points in the fourth quarter with the ball with a chance to at least tie it there late after all of the mistakes we had made. So, I liked the way we finished and we’ve got to get off to a better start right away this week offensively.”

(On if it’s uncharacteristic for QB Josh McCown to throw two interceptions)
“Yeah that was out of character to say the least. Josh will tell you that. He’s a veteran player. He knows how important it is (to not turn the ball over). Every meeting I’ve had with our football team since I’ve been the head coach here, I’ve talked about the turnover ratio, we’ve talked about the turnover ratio and how important is. So, that was out of character for us and we can’t do it, it’s as simple as that. You can’t win football games. If you look around the league, that’s what it comes down to. We scored the 14 points without a takeaway. (St. Louis Beat Writer) Jim (Thomas), you’ve been around me long enough to know, I’m saying the same thing about our defense. It’s hard winning games when you don’t take the ball away. Defensively, we didn’t help the offense at all either.”

(On if the turnovers will come for his defense or if it come down to a lucky bounce)
“Well, yes. If you look at it like that, then defensively you’re waiting for a turnover and we just can’t do that. We have to take the ball away and it’s kind of left up to us. And again, we didn’t do that. First game, you still have to crawl before you walk. What we found out is that we’re not there yet. We don’t know how to win yet. But we will. The guys have come back to work. And like you said, we were all disappointed but it’s one game. There’s one goal, the goal going undefeated, besides that everything else is in front of us and the guys realize that.”

(On if he would like to the pass rush be more productive and on adding a couple of defensive ends)
“Yes we do. It was a big challenge. I talk on terms of last week, it was our defensive line versus their defensive line. I think Carolina and the Rams had the best defensive fronts in football last year. Big challenge for the guys defensively to play better than the opponent last week and they’ll have the same challenge of course this week. St. Louis, I know they blitz, they’re a team that can rush four and get as much pressure as anybody in the league.”

(On losing CB Mike Jenkins for the season due to injury)
“It’s a blow whenever you lose one of your guys. Mike, we signed him in the offseason to come in and compete for a starting job for us. We had a three-man rotation going for the most part. So, he won’t be with us anymore, but injuries are a part of it. You have to just move on and it’s an opportunity for someone else to step up.”

(On if he has tweaked his defensive philosophy over the years or is this still a typical Lovie Smith defense)
“Well I like to think so. We’re not going to get too far away from what we believe in. Our same defense in some form we’ve played every year I’ve been in the league, so we’re not going to get away from that. But we have tweaked. The description ‘Tampa 2’ does not say who we are. We will occasionally play Cover 2, but we’re a lot more multiple than that.”

(On what challenges the Rams offense present)
“I think some of your same traditional problems that you have with a team that’s committed to the run. When you have a tough football team that wants to win games playing great defense and a balanced attack on the offensive side of the football with great skill guys at the key positions. Those are the challenges that you face, with a well-coached, I might add, Rams team. So, those are the challenges we have. I mentioned their marquee guys, you know their names. They create a lot of problems with one-on-one matchups.”

(On what challenges Rams DE Robert Quinn presents the Buccaneers offense)
“Quite a few challenges I might say. He can beat you, has excellent speed off of the edge. He can beat you with just being a speed rusher on the outside. He has power too. And he’s relentless, he plays hard. So, everything you’re looking for and his numbers say that. Sometimes guys can have numbers and how do you get the sacks. This is someone you go into with a plan on how to stop him and slow him up. He’s just hard you if just kind of say, ‘Hey, offensive tackle block him by yourself, all day.’ That’s tough duty right there. Being a guy that loves great defensive line play, you have to love a player like him, how he plays. And not only him, like we said this entire front, nobody plays harder than (DE) Chris Long, too. Like all the guys across the board. Of course, we were a big fan of (DT) Aaron Donald coming out, too.”

(On DE Adrian Clayborn’s performance so far)
“Adrian has played OK. We weren’t happy. When we talk about one week, first game we weren’t happy with how we played up front. But overall, Adrian is a good player, some of the same things when I was talking about Robert Quinn. Adrian has a non-stop motor. Plays hard every down. A great teammate. Very good football player.”

(On Clayborn’s recovery from his injury last season)
“Every day, every practice we’ve had, he’s been out there full speed. I don’t know a whole lot about what happened with him last year. He’s been good to go for us this year.”

(On what last year was like being out of football)
“Well I wouldn’t necessarily say I was sitting still. (Rams Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) has kind of been through it before, being out. You can get a lot of good benefits from being out. Having someone paying you a whole lot of money and you go around and watch football and become a football fan and study football. You kind of hit the pause button on life a little bit. I’d say it was the best year of my life to become a better husband, father, and coach. Had a lot of fun doing it but I saw how much I really missed the game. There’s nothing like being on the sideline and being able to coach players on a daily basis.”

(On if it’s a pretty good gig to be paid doing what you want)
“You should try it some time.”

(On if the year off recharged him)
“No doubt it did. When you can just hit the pause button a little bit and just get your priorities straight again. As coaches you’re just head down, keep working. Day, night, what day is it? You don’t know. There’s a lot of things you’ve missed. So, that part was good. Even with saying all of that, what I saw is that I just love the game of football. And not being in it there’s a definitely a void that I had.”

(On the challenge in Tampa Bay)
“It’s a big challenge. But I say there’s a big challenge in all 32 cities in the league, there are challenges. And I think what you did last year doesn’t necessarily help you an awful lot. I think there’s parity in the league. A team that was down one year can make a quick rise. So, it’s a big change. Made a coaching change here for a reason. We realize that. We feel like in time we’re going to have an opportunity just like everyone else will to do some good things.”

(On his memories as a part of Rams coaching staff)
“Just great memories, that’s all I have for the Rams organization, (Rams Owner) Stan Kroenke, everybody. Of course, (Rams Senior Advisor) John Shaw, (Former Rams President of Football Operations) Jay Zygmunt, guys that I was around. I know some of they aren’t there anymore. It’s just our family. Living in St. Louis, was one of our favorite places we’ve ever lived. I always keep up with the Rams. So, you always love playing against a team that you think so much of and that’ll be the case this weekend.”

(On the Rams not winning much since he lefy)
“(Laughs) I had very little to do with that. I know my time there got a chance to coach a lot of great players. Being on (Former Rams Head) Coach Mike Martz’s staff, we did win a lot of games there. The people we talk about for a lot of years.”
Tampa Bay Buccaneers LB Lavonte David- Conference Call- September 10, 2014

(On his adjustment to Head Coach Lovie Smith’s defense)
“Its been pretty well, its been pretty well. I’ve been learning on the fly. Coach is doing a great job of getting in my ear, knit-picking at everything, making sure I’m hands on with stuff. It’s still early, but there’s little things that I can fix on my own.”

(On how he thinks the defense played in the opener)
“I think we played alright. It wasn’t our best performance. They ended up with more points than us. For the most part I think we played hard, but we just have some work to do.”

(On what Coach Smith has been like as a coach)
“He’s just a calm laid back guy. He lets players play and lets coaches coach. Whenever he needs to step in and take part in something he does it. He helps out here and there and he’s in everybody’s meeting rooms and whenever it’s time for him to speak up and try to adjust to something he comes in and he helps us out.”

(On the defense’s mentality when the offense is struggling)
“We just control what we can control. Letting the offense do their job and as the defense we have to do our job. We can’t think about what the offense is doing because that gets us off our game. Week-in, week-out defensively we want to play our best game.”

(On playing with DT Gerald McCoy)
“It’s amazing, it’s amazing. What he brings to the table week-in and week-out and it’s always an honor to play with a guy like that who’s a hard worker. When it’s time to make a play he’s one of those guys to come in and make a play. He’s a great leader for us as a team, not only just the defense. He’s a guy that you can count on when he’s out there on the field.”

(On what his goals are for this season after his great 2013 season)
“Just keep on improving what I’ve been doing. Nothing real specific for me. I just try to stay consistent with my play and just don’t have a letdown. The team can count on me to come in week-in and week-out to play my hardest and that’s what I want to do.”
(On what challenges the Rams’ defense present)
“They have a tough running game with (RB) Zac Stacy in the backfield. Great run blockers on line. They can run the ball andbreak through in a heartbeat and we just have to be prepared for that. Also, with half of their running game they can come out with play action passes. They’ve got some big receivers out there with (WR’s) Kenny Britt and Brian Quick, and they also have a little guy in Tavon Austin who they can get in the open field and things like that. Also, they have great tight ends who can make plays, so they have a factor player at every position so it’ something that we have to be aware of.”

(On how they can generate turnovers)
“It’s just going out and executing your job. Everybody playing hard, tracking the football and when your tracking the football you might get ahead, the ball may pop out. When you’re in your right place, when you’re in your right coverage, your right cover zone, you may get an interception. It’s all about being disciplined and playing hard.”

(On the difference in the defensive scheme as compared to last year)
“Basically just went from an under to an over. Not much real different...so, there some stuff that I can learn in this defense, but it’s not a big difference.”

(On if he’s looked at Rams tape yet)
“Yeah, I’ve watched a fair amount. I haven’t really gotten a chance to dig all the way deep into it.”

(On his thoughts on WR Tavon Austin lining up as a running back)
“He’s a great player. When I saw it, they are trying to find a way to get their playmakers the ball and him at running back, he did it in college also. I wouldn’t say it was a big surprise, but it’s just them finding a way to get their playmakers the football.”

(On how Buccs DE Adrian Clayborn is doing)
“He’s doing fine. He’s one of our starting D-lineman and he’s doing well. He’s doing what he’s supposed to do.”