Training Camp (SUN Aug-06)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Brown has 34.5 inch long arms, which is above average for the tackle position, so I am not concerned that he is an inch shorter than other RTs. For example Hav is 3 inches taller but his arms are an inch shorter.

It seems like they are already shuffling Brown around already, which IMO was a mistake the previous regime made instead of letting a set 5 get experience working together in established spots. However, I am willing to give Kroemer the benefit of the doubt. If they are going to shuffle it now IMO they shoukd stick with it while there is still plenty of time in camp and 4 preseason games where a set 5 can gel.

Seems odd that after the 1st scrimmage Brown and Havenstein are moving. Would think having each stay where they have been since OTA's, have them work on what the coaching staff did not like would be the way to go. But instead they are switching spots. Would have to assume the coaching staff did not like either in the spot there were at.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brown has 34.5 inch long arms, which is above average for the tackle position, so I am not concerned that he is an inch shorter than other RTs. For example Hav is 3 inches taller but his arms are an inch shorter.

It seems like they are already shuffling Brown around already, which IMO was a mistake the previous regime made instead of letting a set 5 get experience working together in established spots. However, I am willing to give Kroemer the benefit of the doubt. If they are going to shuffle it now IMO they shoukd stick with it while there is still plenty of time in camp and 4 preseason games where a set 5 can gel.

Don't agree. They need to do it for depth right now. If a player gets hurt , or doesn't play like he should then you need to know how to play the other position.Once preseason starts then you have to be set & ready to go.

But if you are right about the Rams changing them for no reason. Maybe now you can at least say they revisited it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm not to worried about Hav and Brown switching today it was just a walk through. Hopefully they put the pads on tomorrow. I want to see the OL &DO working hard, not that half assed shit I saw last year.

Tomorrow I plan to get there early and hopefully meet up with some ROD members.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Agree with @jrry32, if you're gonna fiddle with Hav and Brown, do it now have the scrimmage with the Chargers and then you'll prob have to make your decision and stick with it after that.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Re the Havs/Brown switch, I'm not sure it's necessarily because the staff didn't like the way THEY played yesterday so much as it might be because of how bad the 2nd and 3rd teams played. By most accounts I read here, those backup units sucked.

Donnell had been touted as the #6 OL so far but suffered an injury. We don't know the extent yet, but in any case, I think the staff is preparing both Brown and Havs to switch if needed.

For example: if we only have a backup guard who inspires confidence but Brown gets hurt, then Havs moves to RT so we can use the backup guard.

At least I hope that's what's going on--that it has more to do w/ Donnell and the lousy play of the backups and NOT the play of Brown and Havs. I will say though, despite the entire OL playing so bad last year, I was already concerned about Brown after seeing his play during pre-season. So I'm still not convinced he is the answer. Havs is a stud. Despite my twitching at him switching, As long as he's on the field, I'm ok.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hearing a lot of uncertainty about our OL still, is it a phase or are there bigger issues that may not get fixed this year?.. Is it still too early to
panic.gif
???

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hearing a lot of uncertainty about our OL still, is it a phase or are there bigger issues that may not get fixed this year?.. Is it still too early to
panic.gif
???
Funny that's what I was thinking of as I read all these posts about the OLine :) Way too much panic going on here. But that's normal I guess.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay mentioned the staff discussed it last week, so I see no reason to doubt that.

I prefer that they evaluate and adjust things as they go. It's camp. This is the time for that stuff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brown is starting, but not convinced he is the starter at RT. Donnal played pretty well last season, and thought he would be the starting RT after Havenstein was moved to G. But he is injuried, wearing a walking boot in training camp is a concern. Another concern is Brown is also 6-3 or 6-4 , every starting RT in the league is in the 6-5. 6-6 area that I could find. Donnal is 6-6. Not sure if that is relevant or not, just something that is out there.

Just hope the issue for Donnal is not a longer term kind of thing. Seems for now that Brown may be the starter by default, and that rarely turns out well. The others on the roster will have an outstanding opportunity, with Coach Kromer to develop. And do thing like our new OL coach. Very, very good at development.
I do not disagree with you at all. I hate to see Donnal out of action too. Donnal best NFL playing post would be RT. In his 2014 senior season @ Iowa he started 13 games @ RT & did not give up a sack. My thoughts were that with Havenstein vacating the RT post AD would rise up & secure it. But a January 2017 hip surgery & rehabbing event must have kept AD busy getting back to playing condition. GRob's demise & AD's UNhealthy state gave Jamon Brown an opening to secure the RT post IMO. All completely unexpected.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-andrew-donnal-out-with-knee-injury/

While its unknown to me whats going on with AD current leg/knee issue or if its a by product of the earlier surgery & recovering issue is unknown. It should be brought up here that AD did suffer a torn ACL in a knee during his 2012 season @ Iowa. That leg/knee may be the same hip side that the surgery event occurred too. AD hurt his left knee back in his 2015 rookie season 11/22/15, when he was starting @ RT for Havenstein & never suited up again.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/andrew-donnal-player-injuries

Last season AD played in all 16 games started 4 games finished 2 others but AD hurt his hip & showed he showed up on the injury list wk#13, however he continued to start the last 4 games. Wk #17 AD aggravated that hip injury & gave way to Pace Murphy @ starting RT. If AD's knee is sound I would expect him to be Kromer's very important #6 OL'er in pre season & if Brown's play does not improve AD will take over & perform well.

Last edited: