Training Camp - Day 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2D01F431-30EB-4E89-89D2-CC06D3C75337_zpsayd77it8.jpg

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/McVay-Prepares-To-Take-On-First-Training-Camp-As-Head-Coach/aa71814f-e603-4f1e-8f56-74453b5b106e

McVay Set To Take On First Training Camp As Head Coach

A new head coach only gets one shot at his first NFL training camp.

Rams head coach Sean McVay will get his chance tomorrow with the opening practice of 2017 training camp. Though McVay has been with the team throughout the offseason program, Saturday marks his first chance to truly set the foundation for a strong season.

Speaking to the media on Thursday, McVay expressed his enthusiasm to get started and his eagerness to take the field with his team.

“I know myself and all the coaches are all excited to get going and I feel like the players share that same feeling,” he said. “It’s about that daily improvement. If we do that, we feel like we’ll make those incremental improvements every single day that will lead to good things when those games come around on Sundays.”

But those good things won’t come easily. McVay inherited a Rams team that has not seen a winning season since 2003 and has yet to make the playoffs in the last decade. And last season’s 4-12 record was not exactly the dynamic return to Los Angeles that Rams fans were hoping for.

As most Angelenos know, sports fans here in L.A. can be some of the toughest critics out there. However, McVay expressed confidence that training camp would allow them the space needed to create a good product for fans on the field, a product that will carry over into the regular season.

“I think the thing with training camp is like we’ve talked about — it’s really coming together as a team and figuring out a way for everybody to reach their highest potential,” he said. “Because ultimately as coaches, it’s our goal to try to help these players reach their highest potential and come together as a unit. It’s about us trying to be the best football team we can be.”

The next three weeks will be a significant indication as to what the team will look like. McVay, along with the rest of his staff, has had to face a number of challenges in the time leading up to Saturday’s camp, including various contract negotiations and roster changes.

Fortunately for Rams fans, football comes naturally to the young coach, and even in his time off, McVay’s mind was always on the game.

“I did try to get away a little bit. I went on vacation with my family and with my girlfriend,” he said. “It was good to get away, but sometimes you get that playbook out, or you get some of the things out that you want to [get] going into the offseason program. But, it’s exciting to be back and be around these players. This is what you love to do.”

Both his players and staff members alike have experienced that love firsthand. General Manager Les Snead has spent the last seven months getting to watch McVay adjust to life as a head coach and is quick to comment on McVay’s passion for the game..

“I could go on for days,” Snead said. “[McVay] has a passion for football — eats, sleeps, breathes football. He is all about football. We have joked that we have got no life skills, but we can do football and I think every decision he makes is all about ‘how do you help the Rams?’”

McVay will set out to achieve that goal during training camp over the next three weeks by continuing to instill and establish a new identity for his Rams team — promoting an attitude within the Rams organization that is focused on the “we” and not the “me.”

“We’re always trying to embody a culture where it’s established through our character and communication,” he said. “There’s something special about being a part of something bigger than yourself. When you have great teams, that’s when it ends up becoming a championship opportunity.”

“When you look around the sports environment you see a bunch of great individuals, but for some reason they haven’t achieved it,” he added. “They always want to be a part of a team. And when you go through some of the adversity we’re inevitably going to face, and some of the good times, it’s all about that journey.”

And for McVay, that journey begins tomorrow as he takes the field for his first training camp as an NFL head coach.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/28/los-angeles-rams-training-camp-injury-list/

Dunbar, Thomas, Alexander, Joyner, and Harkey open camp on PUP list

The Los Angeles Rams have placed running back Lance Dunbar on the physically unable to perform list before training camp begins tomorrow.

According to Rich Hammond, the Rams have also added Michael Thomas — who will be suspended for the first four games of the season — on the PUP list as well.

Meanwhile, three players (Maurice Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner and Cory Harkey) were placed on the non-football related injury list as well.

We do not have information regarding details of why these players were placed on the injury list but we will update the post when we learn more.

It’s worth noting the Rams have reportedly shown interest in veteran running back Rashad Jennings, who could add depth to the Los Angeles backfield if Dunbar is hurt for a longer period of time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Los Angeles Rams have placed running back Lance Dunbar on the physically unable to perform list before training camp begins tomorrow.

i'm shocked. shocked i tell ya.

DrHavenstein

Rookie
Name
Ty
Disappointing about LD, hopefully not to serious.

What time do the players take the field today?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's football season boys :yay:

Yeah the Chargers are only 10 minutes away. I can take Uber for $6 . Then $15 to UCI from there . Then go to the OC fair sipping a bottle the whole day ,with a couple brews. Not going to do it ? I don't think. Maybe tomorrow though ?

You know just to tell all those Forrest Lamp fans how good he is blocking the best DE (Bosa)in football.

Still made The Rams didn't draft Keenan Allen. --Funny thing know looking back
In 1999 a friend had a kid with same name sake. Saw him play as a freshman at Fountain Valley . He was afraid to tackle in my eyes.
Now that I think about it I might be able to coach some young kids for a couple practices. Coming from a guy who never played or coached the game basically.
I think the defense of the side of the ball is easy though.That is why Wade will be so good for The Rams. Night & Day different in terms of mental focus on the snap of the ball. More read & react & being a step ahead of the offensive,instead of over thinking a play.

That is why it is my believe The Rams will have at least 10 more turnovers this season.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'm sorry to report I will not be able to make the practice today.

An emergency aross with work and I'm stuck trying to get some communications cables replaced and spliced together.

Maybe tomorrow.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With both our projected starters @ SS & FS out early in TC it will offer other DB's some extra observation & prime action to be digested by Wade & new safety coach Ejiro Evero.

View: http://www.therams.com/team/coaches/ejiro-evero/1c0b1a1e-28da-4cca-8a83-c125a3597210

Anyone who followed the Packers last season & who has knowledge of what happen to their secondary due to injuries to the corners should be interested in new Coach Evero. By the end of the season the Pac's starting DB's were basically all safeties. They performed well under the bad situation they were placed in.

Without Deep Safety Joyner veteran 28/5 yr FS Cody Davis is sure to get HD time with the 1st team D. You here know I am a LJ fan but the 6-2 very fast CD & legit ball-hawking tendencies may cause LJ some heartburn early in the Deep Safety competition for starter.CD has 58 NFL games of experience under his helmet & very little body damage from 4 NFL seasons. The only real injury CD suffered was when he was run over flat by a RB while starting in wk 8 of the 2014 season. It took 3 wks to get CD back due to concussion protocols. CD has not tackled with his head anymore.

Joyner has has nagging injury issues in the past as a Ram & ended up injured in game 14 last season & never seen again. LJ's bad luck was good luck for Blake Countess who replaced LJ & IMO out-shined Joyner in the last 2 games of the season playing the Nickle. BC will be in the thick of competition @ Nickle/Deep Safety in TC.

I still maintain previous boundary corner EJ Gaines would make a dandy Deep Safety /Nickle/ Dime DB if given the opportunity. Its my belief it would better utilized his remaining undamaged skills. EJ has had issues in staying healthy the last 2 seasons. He was IR'd in pre season of 2015 & was hoping for a comeback in 2016 last season but another injury to his thigh took him out for most all TC & pre season & it never healed either. EJ was benched twice last season @ his Boundary CB post when EJ was not listed on the injury list. EJ has no ability to hip flip & keep his up his just very average speed when forced to turn & run with outside WR's. I also observed EJ showed a total loss of his smooth transition hitch when matched up against in inside release situations. Basically EJ is beat often as Boundary CB.

Rookie Safety John Johnson is said to be far more deep safety & nickle-back coverage corner than in the box safety. However JJ saw SS action in all pre TC team activities thus far. This JJ has the feel early to be something special. So with Cody Davis, Blake Countess, EJ Gaines & John Johnson there is no short supply of LJ replacements @ deep safety.

Without Strong Safety Mo Alexander last yrs back up Marqui Christain gets another chance. Last TC he was a 5th rd drafted by Philadelphia Eagles. He was cut. Another SS is Isaiah Johnson who was an UDFA Lion in 2015 & played in 3 gms as a Ram in 2016. Talent level @ SS is far below that @ Deep Safety. If for some reason Lamarcus Joyner is beat out as starting DS then LJ has the skills & talent to back up Mo if needed..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sorry to report I will not be able to make the practice today.

An emergency aross with work and I'm stuck trying to get some communications cables replaced and spliced together.

Maybe tomorrow.
" Just tell them you have an emergency order to run about 500 yards of Comm. Wire at UCI for the Rams!!":D:hiding:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
With both our projected starters @ SS & FS out early in TC it will offer other DB's some extra observation & prime action to be digested by Wade & new safety coach Ejiro Evero.

View: http://www.therams.com/team/coaches/ejiro-evero/1c0b1a1e-28da-4cca-8a83-c125a3597210

Anyone who followed the Packers last season & who has knowledge of what happen to their secondary due to injuries to the corners should be interested in new Coach Evero. By the end of the season the Pac's starting DB's were basically all safeties. They performed well under the bad situation they were placed in.

Without Deep Safety Joyner veteran 28/5 yr FS Cody Davis is sure to get HD time with the 1st team D. You here know I am a LJ fan but the 6-2 very fast CD & legit ball-hawking tendencies may cause LJ some heartburn early in the Deep Safety competition for starter.CD has 58 NFL games of experience under his helmet & very little body damage from 4 NFL seasons. The only real injury CD suffered was when he was run over flat by a RB while starting in wk 8 of the 2014 season. It took 3 wks to get CD back due to concussion protocols. CD has not tackled with his head anymore.

Joyner has has nagging injury issues in the past as a Ram & ended up injured in game 14 last season & never seen again. LJ's bad luck was good luck for Blake Countess who replaced LJ & IMO out-shined Joyner in the last 2 games of the season playing the Nickle. BC will be in the thick of competition @ Nickle/Deep Safety in TC.

I still maintain previous boundary corner EJ Gaines would make a dandy Deep Safety /Nickle/ Dime DB if given the opportunity. Its my belief it would better utilized his remaining undamaged skills. EJ has had issues in staying healthy the last 2 seasons. He was IR'd in pre season of 2015 & was hoping for a comeback in 2016 last season but another injury to his thigh took him out for most all TC & pre season & it never healed either. EJ was benched twice last season @ his Boundary CB post when EJ was not listed on the injury list. EJ has no ability to hip flip & keep his up his just very average speed when forced to turn & run with outside WR's. I also observed EJ showed a total loss of his smooth transition hitch when matched up against in inside release situations. Basically EJ is beat often as Boundary CB.

Rookie Safety John Johnson is said to be far more deep safety & nickle-back coverage corner than in the box safety. However JJ saw SS action in all pre TC team activities thus far. This JJ has the feel early to be something special. So with Cody Davis, Blake Countess, EJ Gaines & John Johnson there is no short supply of LJ replacements @ deep safety.

Without Strong Safety Mo Alexander last yrs back up Marqui Christain gets another chance. Last TC he was a 5th rd drafted by Philadelphia Eagles. He was cut. Another SS is Isaiah Johnson who was an UDFA Lion in 2015 & played in 3 gms as a Ram in 2016. Talent level @ SS is far below that @ Deep Safety. If for some reason Lamarcus Joyner is beat out as starting DS then LJ has the skills & talent to back up Mo if needed..

Neither Joyner nor Alexander are out. They won't miss any time. Watch the McVay presser. It was conditioning related. They're gonna participate.

Ram65

Legend

Meanwhile, three players (Maurice Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner and Cory Harkey) were placed on the non-football related injury list as well.

We do not have information regarding details of why these players were placed on the injury list but we will update the post when we learn more.

You think they (Rams) could get the information out to the public as to why they are PUPed.

Dunbar hurt again is not good. Forgot how much he gets hurt. Could really miss Benny C.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I'm going to take an educated guess on your employer. ATT?? John Stankey was at my company's conference last year. Dude's got the deepest voice.
I can neither confirm nor deny your guesses.

I make him sound like a 12 year old boy going through puberty.