Trade with Washington paved way to Rams' line-heavy 2015 draft/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Trade with Washington paved way to Rams' line-heavy 2015 draft
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ngton-paved-way-to-rams-line-heavy-2015-draft

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- So a cornerback, a running back, a defensive tackle, a wide receiver, a linebacker and an offensive tackle walk into a coin toss. Sounds like the start of a football joke, right? Well, technically that's exactly what it was.

Before last year's game between the St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins, Rams coach Jeff Fisher sent Janoris Jenkins, Zac Stacy, Michael Brockers, Stedman Bailey, Alec Ogletree and Greg Robinson to midfield to handle coin toss duties. Most days, nobody would've batted an eyelash as Fisher has long offered different players the opportunity to do the job.

2012 NFL Draft Trade

Here's how the final haul broke down in the trade between St. Louis and Washington.

Rams received:
DT Michael Brockers
CB Janoris Jenkins
RB Isaiah Pead
OL Rokevious Watkins
LB Alec Ogletree
WR Stedman Bailey
RB Zac Stacy
OT Greg Robinson

Redskins received:
QB Robert Griffin III

The common denominator was too obvious to ignore. Those six players were the six still on the Rams active roster acquired with picks from the team's trade (and subsequent trades with other teams) with Washington in 2012. If Fisher wanted to go for an encore this year, he could and keep the numbers and positions the same by plugging in Isaiah Pead for Zac Stacy at running back (Pead was on injured reserve last year). But Fisher has already said he probably won't be going for a repeat when the Rams visit Washington on Sunday.

What might be more appropriate is for Fisher to send a different group of players to midfield this weekend, namely the five offensive linemen the Rams selected in this year's NFL draft: tackle Rob Havenstein, guard Jamon Brown, tackle Andrew Donnal, guard Cody Wichmann and tackle Isaiah Battle (who is on the practice squad).

Were it not for the 2012 trade that landed so many picks, the Rams likely wouldn't have been in position to restock their offensive line (or any position of weakness) this year.

“It had a lot to do with it," Fisher said. "Just particularly because of our needs early on once we got here. The trade certainly helped us and we benefited from it. You look at your roster, go into this year’s draft and it’s an opportunity to build your offensive line. Not that we saved that for last, but we just didn’t have any other options there other than try to plug people in. So, now we’ve got a young group that we think is going to grow together.”

As Fisher points out, it didn't necessarily have to be the offensive line that would be the last thing the team addressed. It should serve as another cautionary tale of the dangers of spending big free-agent money, however. As the Rams rebuilt their roster using the stockpile of draft picks from Washington and the extra picks they got from moving those choices, they were often able to focus on selecting the best player available. The roster was so barren that the Rams couldn't really go wrong by drafting a player of any position with those extra selections.

But before those drafts, the Rams found themselves investing money rather than draft capital in the offensive line. They handed big free-agent contracts to center Scott Wells and tackle Jake Long, both of whom had their best football behind them before arriving in St. Louis. In 2012 and 2013, the first two years under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, the Rams spent a total of one draft pick on an offensive lineman, fourth-rounder Barrett Jones.

Finally, with the last of their picks from the trade with Washington, the Rams used the No. 2 overall pick on Robinson in 2014 and began the process of rebuilding the line through the draft. With the roster mostly stocked at other positions and Wells and Long released in March, the Rams pushed their draft chips in on this year's crop of offensive linemen.

Whether those choices work out or not will be determined in time but Havenstein and Brown are already starting with Wichmann and Donnal serving as depth.

“We felt like it was going to be a good year, but we didn’t know that two years ago," Fisher said. "You just don’t know. You do your work. We spent a lot of time on it. Obviously, it has paid off for us so far.”

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not a bad haul, that's definitely a fleecing. Though it was a tag team effort between Fisher and Snead's drafting, Snyder's ego, Shanahan's spoiling and Gruden's pure hatred. RG3 might be quite the player if he went anywhere but the Skins, luckily they were incredibly stupid with how they handled it and turned this from a good trade into an epic trade.

With only two guys not on our roster anymore and 4(agruably 5) starters from it compared to a guy sitting on the bench and his tenure with the team already in the balance you have to wonder how Snyder hasn't closed shop in embarrassment yet.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So far, so good for Rams' reconstructed offensive line
AP

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:14p ET

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ouis-rams-reconstructed-offensive-line-091715

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams' decision to go with two rookies on the offensive line may just work out.

Quarterback Nick Foles took his share of hits in the opening victory over Seattle but was sacked just twice. And he wasn't on the run all day.

"Stronger dudes, bigger dudes," tackle Rob Havenstein said. "I guess that's why we're here. We're pretty big and strong ourselves."

Havenstein and guard Jamon Brown, second- and third-round picks, went wire to wire in their NFL debuts. Coach Jeff Fisher said they finished as strong as they started.

"Both of our young offensive linemen lined up and played pretty well," Fisher said. "From a protection standpoint we were good, they were sound."

Next up is a visit to Washington (0-1) this Sunday.

Brown missed seven plays against Seattle, but only because of a bent facemask that made it impossible to wear his helmet.

New center Tim Barnes did well, too, containing Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane for the most part. It was the fifth career start for Barnes, who was undrafted out of Missouri. Havenstein, from Wisconsin, and Brown, from Louisville, both came to the NFL with the advantage of having played in a pro offense in college. Brown said it helped "tremendously."

"Obviously, it's more complex here, but it was able to give me an easy switch," Brown said. "It was very helpful, very helpful."

They began the preseason playing side by side at right tackle and right guard, but for the final tuneup Havenstein was switched to the left side with veteran Rodger Saffold moved to right guard. Both players know there's plenty of room for improvement.

"Me personally, I think it was a good start," Havenstein said. "It's a whole season, so you can't be too high, can't be too low."

Fisher said the shuffling had nothing to do with surrounding the kids with more experienced players. But separating the kids made it tougher for the Seahawks to attack one area.

"We didn't get as much pressures or blitzes or games," Brown said. "They really didn't do that, and it's their loss, not ours."

Penalties were well down overall, with four calls for 30 yards. Brown had a false start on the first possession.

Last year, the Rams were among the most penalized teams in the NFL.

The Rams weren't forced into an unbalanced attack, even without running backs Todd Gurley and Tre Mason. They averaged 2.9 yards per carry, but versatile backup Benny Cunningham had good production overall with 45 yards rushing and 77 yards receiving.

"I think we played a lot cleaner than we did in the preseason," Brown said. "Once we were able to settle down, I think we looked pretty good."

Fisher noted there were no dropped passes, a key statistic against the two-time defending NFC champions and one of the top defenses in the NFL.

"I think it was a great plan. We were able to stay with the run throughout," Fisher said.

In the offseason, the Rams released veteran tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells, both of whom had been dogged by injuries. Then they re-stocked in the draft.

"We felt like it was going to be a good year," Fisher said. "Obviously, it has paid off for us so far."

Psycho_X

Legend
But before those drafts, the Rams found themselves investing money rather than draft capital in the offensive line. They handed big free-agent contracts to center Scott Wells and tackle Jake Long, both of whom had their best football behind them before arriving in St. Louis. In 2012 and 2013, the first two years under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, the Rams spent a total of one draft pick on an offensive lineman, fourth-rounder Barrett Jones.

More and more proof to build a team through the draft instead of wasting money on high cost free agents. All though I consider Wells and Long both to be more of "stop gap" type signings. We only had so many draft picks and the biggest void of talent at almost every single position when Fisher got here that we really had no choice but to sign some.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope these kids on the OL don't get too complacent. There is a TON of room for improvement from what I saw after watching the game a few times. Most notably with GR (yikes!). Love that they got one win under their belt and some much needed experience, but this is just the beginning boys!! Gotta Go To Work!!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope these kids on the OL don't get too complacent. There is a TON of room for improvement from what I saw after watching the game a few times. Most notably with GR (yikes!). Love that they got one win under their belt and some much needed experience, but this is just the beginning boys!! Gotta Go To Work!!!!

Last weeks game Boudreau did not dress our back up reserve OT's Darrell Williams & Andrew Donnal. Instead he went with Back ups Rhaney @ OC, Reynolds as ORT/OLG & Cody Wichmann as Saffold's back in-case Saffold had to be Robinson's back up.

I will looking to see if OLT Darrell Williams is dress so they can get him some action for short periods of time later in the game if we build up a sizable lead. I am really concerned about Robinson! Could be a career day for OLB/DE Kerrigan!:notsure:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Robinson did play a lot better as the game went on. But yeah, I'm concerned about him too. The OL as a whole looks like it's on schedule to be quite good this season but for that to happen GRob needs to get it together particularly in pass pro.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“We felt like it was going to be a good year, but we didn’t know that two years ago," Fisher said. "You just don’t know. You do your work. We spent a lot of time on it. Obviously, it has paid off for us so far.”
This says it for me!

Athos

Legend
Packers pretty much built their entire team thru the draft. Look at their success

winning the draft game means winning.

It took us years after the destruction of the GsOt to get back to that.

Really, I'd go with average to slightly above average FAs or one big splash like a Cookie. Vets are important. Just not pricey ones.

Look at the Shehags for the culture it creates.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Packers pretty much built their entire team thru the draft. Look at their success

winning the draft game means winning.

It took us years after the destruction of the GsOt to get back to that.

Really, I'd go with average to slightly above average FAs or one big splash like a Cookie. Vets are important. Just not pricey ones.

Look at the Shehags for the culture it creates.

Same goes for Pittsburgh, New England, NY Giants, Baltimore and Im sure I am missing a team or two also. All pretty consistently good and with a few Championships sprinkled in. I think its also worth noting these teams typically draft in the 2nd half of the draft year over year. So they really are hitting on their draft picks and there not top 10 picks either. Also look at the success at QB. Not positive but all the QB's were taken out of the top 10 except Eli.