Top Prospects Athletes or Football Players?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I picked Prospects we may be interested in and not in any methodical order.
Do You think the below prospects are Football players first or Athletes First?
I know all of the players listed are obviously athletic and football players so taking that into consideration.
EX: in todays NFL you seldom see a guy and say undersized not very athletic but dude is a football player.
In contrary Coaches and GM's Have attempted to coach up athletes into football players for some time.
To call someone a football player without mention of his athleticism is honorable.
To call a prospect a football player first and athlete second is probably optimal

1. Khalil Mack A/F
  2. Jake Matthews F/A
  3. Gerald Robinson A/F
  4. Sammy Watkins F/A
  5. Aaron Donald F he is athletic but has overcome size and doubt. straight up football player
  6. Anthony Barr A/F
  7. CJ Mosley F/A
  8. Justin Gilbert A/F
  9. Jadaveon Clowney A/F
  10. Mike Evans F/A
Just for fun the qb's
  1. Blake Bortles F/A
  2. Teddy Bridgewater F/A
  3. Johnny Manziel F even though athletic like Him or not kid is a football player

Alan

Legend
I think that's much too fine of a distinction for most of us to be able to answer intelligently. At least for me it is.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's much too fine of a distinction for most of us to be able to answer intelligently. At least for me it is.

Have to agree. I do understand what you are getting at in this post, there are certain guys who are athletes trying to play football (Jared Cook) I just think there arent a ton of them. In reality you don't make the nfl without being incredibly athletic. Some guys rely on athleticism more than others but i think it would be very difficult to label every one of these guys.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya, just trying to add a new twist to the time of year we call purgatory and all the re posts.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I agree with you for the most part. This is very difficult to categorize players in this way. However, I almost want to say Mike Evans leans toward the athletic side.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Fendi Onobun, Donnie Avery, Ty Hill haha. Also, you can say almost all QBs are football players since few are athletic.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Fendi Onobun, Donnie Avery, Ty Hill haha. Also, you can say almost all QBs are football players since few are athletic.
I agree that's why I went F first on the top 2 prospects however I tried to keep in mind each prospects position and related skillset necessary to play said position.
Most of all it is just all for fun driven by boredom. I happen to be on Hiatus this week so I have some free time.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like to judge upside. Seeing what tools a player has to work with and how bad he wants it/character.

For example, this is why I like Robinson over Mathews. They both have solid character but Robinsinon's upside seals it over Mathews's readiness.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I like to judge upside. Seeing what tools a player has to work with and how bad he wants it/character.

For example, this is why I like Robinson over Mathews. They both have solid character but Robinsinon's upside seals it over Mathews's readiness.
I would have to go Matthews and let the chips fall where they may. Matthews should bring you 10 years as a top 5 OL while Robinson may indeed turn into the next Pace with incredible upside but he also may turn into a backup after a couple years of not getting it in pass pro. I am a little conservative in regards to OL.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I would have to go Matthews and let the chips fall where they may. Matthews should bring you 10 years as a top 5 OL while Robinson may indeed turn into the next Pace with incredible upside but he also may turn into a backup after a couple years of not getting it in pass pro. I am a little conservative in regards to OL.

They say he's most resembles Ogden, which is great. Ogden started at OG his rookie year. *Shock!*

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
They say he's most resembles Ogden, which is great. Ogden started at OG his rookie year. *Shock!*
Interesting comparison must be comparing style. I saw a lot of Ogden out here in the West and thought he was a stud. he has about 4 inches and 40 lbs on Robinson.
If we do draft Robinson he will have a great teacher and certainly if he works at it and his footwork comes around could be a top 3 OT in 3 years.
Lets face it we are in a great position at #2 no matter what. There is only 1 player that will challenge the sanity of this forum at #2 if we stay. That is the ever so polarizing Clowney. If we take him this forum will erupt with people on both sides.