Top 5 Boom or Bust St. Louis Rams Players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Top 5 boom or bust St. Louis Rams players
By Ted Bryant
July 10, 2014 2:38 pm CDT

http://cover32.com/rams/2014/07/10/top-5-boom-or-bust-st-louis-rams-players/

With training camp less than two weeks away, there are a handful of players on the Rams roster that will look to elevate their respective games to ensure a spot on the 2014 roster. Beyond that, they’ll want to have an even greater impact on the season as a whole after performing below expectations in the past few seasons. With that said, our weekly Top 5 attempts to rank the players who will either “boom or bust” in 2014, meaning they’ll finally break through and become steady fixtures on the team or will put in another subpar season and likely be ushered out the door. Let’s get started:

5. Running back Isaiah Pead

The former second-round pick was drafted in 2012 to compliment Steven Jackson out of the backfield with bursts of quickness to spell Jackson’s more straightforward abilities. Fast forward to present day, and Pead has received only 17 carries in his two years as a Ram, having been overtaken by the likes of Daryl Richardson, Benny Cunningham, and Zac Stacy. With the addition of Auburn’s Tre Mason in this year’s draft, carries will be difficult to come by. However, it’s been reported that Pead is eager to become a major contributor on special teams and carve out a role for himself on the team. He’ll need to make his presence felt if he wants to ensure his long-term employment.

4. Tight end Jared Cook

Tough to call the Rams’ 2013 leading receiver a candidate for a “boom or bust” season, but it looks like he’ll have to have an even bigger impact this season to justify the $35 million contract he was given prior to last season. Cook was great at times but was brought in to become a major pass-catching option for quarterback Sam Bradford. After exploding for 141 yards on seven receptions and catching two touchdowns in the first week against Arizona, Cook would only tally more than 50 yards receiving in a game on one other occasion, the Rams’ Week 11 win over Chicago.

3. Wide receiver Chris Givens

Givens enters the third year of his career coming off of a relatively disappointing sophomore season. To this point, he’s been vocal about refocusing on football and dedicating himself to the game. That will have to show up on the field. I’ve written before that the team doesn’t need him to become a 1,000-yard, 10+ touchdown guy, but simply hanging onto the ball and making the plays that come his way will do a lot in keeping defenses in check and securing his future with the team.

2. Wide receiver Brian Quick

Quick is the great mystery of the Rams offense. Once hyped as the next Terrell Owens, Quick has yet to evolve into anything close to approaching the once great receiver for the 49ers, Eagles, and Cowboys. As an outsider, it’s tough to tell what the team has in Quick. All the physical tools and athleticism are there, but it has yet to really translate into on-field performance. Year three is generally when wide receivers begin producing at levels expected of them, and plenty of eyes will be on Quick in his quest to do just that. The Rams passed on the 2014 class of wide receivers in the draft, meaning they’re also expecting a certain level of production out of their batch. Quick will have to at least begin booming this season, otherwise the bust label will become inescapable.

1. Quarterback Sam Bradford

Duh. For all the flack that he takes, it’s tough not call this a make-or-break year for the fifth-year signal caller. Bradford enters the year coming off a Week 7 season-ending knee injury suffered in 2013, as well as a mountain of expectations placed upon him. Bradford was on his way to becoming the top quarterback he was drafted to be before his premature exit last year, and will look to resume that level of play come this fall. His performance this season will shape the team’s plans for the next few years. Will it be Bradford at the helm in 2015 and beyond or will the team be forced to change direction and begin anew in the quarterback department?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd say all of them are perfectly capable of simply having a meh season (IE not boom or bust) other than Cook or Bradford, since they're being paid a lot more than the others.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good list, hard to argue.

I don't think Sam needs to be on there, he's all "boom," but I see the point. Anyone can get hurt. Brady, Rogers, and Manning have seen their share of injuries over the years.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Nah, he's too big and too strong...You'll be fine once you watch the first series come September. Just ask Nick Saban about the difference Greg Robinson can make.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
All fair I guess, my feedback is:

5. Pead: I don't expect anything. I've given up on Pead as a running back for the rams. I would have liked to see us cut him to save some dollars.
4. Cook: I want to see him look like he wants to be out there on the field, he can look lacklustre IMO. He had an OK year, not one that lived up to his wage packet, but ok. It would be nice to see Cook have at least 10 of those Arizona games under his belt this year...
3. Givens: I hope his slump was due to that, second year blues, that couple with Clemens as his QB. I expect a return to year one form.
2. Quick: I'm giving him Training Camp and pre-season, if there aren't any rumblings, or anything good, I say, trade him, he may need a different WR coach or scheme to succeed.
1. He's only on this list because of his contract and that's not his fault - he's had a couple of years with the same playbook, and an improved set of WR's and an improved O-line - he SHOULD be boom-baby-boom, if not then I think it's time to cut him loose, again, he may benefit from a different scheme at a different team - and that is something I don't want to see...

fearsomefour

Legend
Cook is it to me.
I agree with what shaunppinney said above....appearances can be deceiving. But, he may be a guy who has Porsche measurables and Camry performance.
Who knows with Pead. I am optimistic with him based on nothing more than he is there still and looks the part. We will see.
To me Cook has to justify his salary. He doesn't need to be the top receiving TE in the NFL but better blocking and consistent contributions in the passing game.
Otherwise, to me, save what we can and resign Kendricks and Harkey.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
5. IMO Pead will be fine. I think he'll see more snaps offensively and continue and probably even increase his role on special teams.
4. I don't know. He's paid like an elite tight end. He doesn't have the physical tools of a slot receiver, he'll be shut down by defensive backs. He needs to go against linebackers obviously, and to make that mismatch he has to be a threat to block. In this run first offense, he has a huge chance to succeed in multiple tight end sets. Will he?
3. Givens, I just get the feeling that he's a one trick pony, which is no big deal. He'll be a role player for us until we have enough depth to move on. Not a bad deal for a fourth rounder, he overachieved his first year as a burner, moving on ...
2. Quick, I expect him to contribute everywhere on this offense. His ability to block gets him more snaps. He won't live up to fan's expectations, but in this offense no receiver will.
1. Bradford. The fans will be disappointed again. Not because our offense is unsuccessful, but he won't have bloated numbers to support his contract and make the fantasy football players happy. That said, I absolutely expect him to excel in this offense, and management will recognize.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
All fair I guess, my feedback is:

5. Pead: I don't expect anything. I've given up on Pead as a running back for the rams. I would have liked to see us cut him to save some dollars.
4. Cook: I want to see him look like he wants to be out there on the field, he can look lacklustre IMO. He had an OK year, not one that lived up to his wage packet, but ok. It would be nice to see Cook have at least 10 of those Arizona games under his belt this year...
3. Givens: I hope his slump was due to that, second year blues, that couple with Clemens as his QB. I expect a return to year one form.
2. Quick: I'm giving him Training Camp and pre-season, if there aren't any rumblings, or anything good, I say, trade him, he may need a different WR coach or scheme to succeed.
1. He's only on this list because of his contract and that's not his fault - he's had a couple of years with the same playbook, and an improved set of WR's and an improved O-line - he SHOULD be boom-baby-boom, if not then I think it's time to cut him loose, again, he may benefit from a different scheme at a different team - and that is something I don't want to see...

You feel the exact same way I do. With Pead, I don't think his head or his heart is in it. Why, I don't know, but that's what it seems like to me. Cook - needs more heart. Has all the talent to be one of the big, elite TE's of this league - just needs to do it more consistently. Would love to see more games like the Arizona one to open the season. I think Givens will be fine. I think Quick has the heart and talent, he just needs to get his head more in the game.

Regarding Sam - I think this is his year. I think he proves the doubters wrong and has a pro bowl caliber season. I hope I'm right. If not, you are probably right saying that maybe a fresh start is best.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Cook, Quick and Bradford.

Cook game 1 last year vs. most of the other 15 games.
Quick. Year 3 he gets or probably never
Bradford. I guess we could put Boom mediocre or bust. Can he stay on the field? if yes, does he manage? or does he dominate?

I Bradford booms, WOW.
Good chance he is a top 10=18 QB. not really Boom
Last year BUST, played well but not enough

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford is the big question mark. We live or die with him. I believe the pieces are being put in place for him too have a breakout year. And I expect it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am a rarity....I believe in Pead. I believe in Quick. I believe in Sam. Man, Cook just got here, then the #1 QB goes down, so I believe in Cook as well. I have some questions about Givens...Not really sure, he & Tavon were the Main Targets in weeks 1-6....Perhaps this is the year Schotty's playbook sticks.... The offensive line is the key...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
17 carries in 2 years. For a RB. For a team that freakin switched to a run first mentality.

5th round picks and UDFAs have gotten more playing time than him.

He's a decent ST player, but I have real doubt he's gonna be any sort of impact. Brian Quick is more of a candiate for boom or bust.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
When I saw the thread title I knew Bradford would be #1.
Someone, anyone, post some video of his Null-ish, substandard, practice squad level of play......

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am a rarity....I believe in Pead. I believe in Quick. I believe in Sam. Man, Cook just got here, then the #1 QB goes down, so I believe in Cook as well. I have some questions about Givens...Not really sure, he & Tavon were the Main Targets in weeks 1-6....Perhaps this is the year Schotty's playbook sticks.... The offensive line is the key...
Pretty much where I am although Pead has a lot of traffic to work through. Stacy is going to get carries - we know that. So will he work his ass off and be at least the 3rd down back. He can pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield. I think that gives him an edge on 3rd downs. The RB battle will be an interesting one for sure.

Watch for BQ to do some serious head turning. He still likely won't be a 1,000 yard receiver but he will make some big plays for us and be on the field a lot because he can block AND you just can't leave a CB on a 6'5" receiver all game. He's either going to burn some defenses or he is going to demand a double. I think we're going to see a lot of zone defense this year with TA, Cook, Sted, and Quick/Britt.

Givens? Just not sure about him. I know he had a very good rookie year but I thought even then it was more about who else would get the ball. Someone had to catch something. And you are always going to burn a defense a few times a year and get behind the DBs. But there were so few yards after the catch that even 50 yarders didn't do much to get over on the other team. I hope for Givens to have a great year but I just don't see it. It'd be great to be wrong here but I see another DR type player. Once the talent around him gets better, he will fade and be maybe a role player with fresh legs.

Sam is going to be just fine as long as our O-line holds up like I think it will. I also think while we will run the ball a lot, I am not convinced that we will be all smash mouth. Our RBs aren't huge. Stacy seems to get nicked up a lot so we are going to be looking at a lot of RB by committee. Guess we'll see what Tre brings to the table. Still - we didn't move up to take TA so that we could play 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We didn't bring in Cook so that he could block and make 5 yard grabs. I think Fisher wants to open it up but with a nod toward ball and clock control. I think the thing that people overlook is that Fisher loves big plays and trick plays. He is NOT Ground Chuck or John Robinson. Look for Sam to have a very good year by any standards.

Of course none of this could be right - it's just my prediction.