Top 100 Greatest Players: Eric Dickerson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Watch ED run was a thing of beauty.

But seeing him in a Colts Uni is bizarre. And what's the deal with RB trades between the Rams & Colts. Such a bizarre relationship between the teams, going back to when the owners swapped team ownership, giving Rosenbloom control of the Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Watch ED run was a thing of beauty.

But seeing him in a Colts Uni is bizarre. And what's the deal with RB trades between the Rams & Colts. Such a bizarre relationship between the teams, going back to when the owners swapped team ownership, giving Rosenbloom control of the Rams.
Yah! * The Ownership Deal
* The Dickerson Deal
and * The Trade for Marshall Faulk.
It sure makes one wonder!!

jap

Legend
Eric "the Great" Dickerson. 6'3", 225 pounds, 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Clearly the greatest Ram ever. No doubt in my mind.

• Most rushing yards as a rookie- 1808 in 1983
  • Most rushing yards in a season- 2105 in 1984
  • Fastest player to reach 2,000 rushing yards- 18 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 3,000 rushing yards- 27 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 4,000 rushing yards- 33 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 5,000 rushing yards- 45 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 6,000 rushing yards- 53 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 7,000 rushing yards- 63 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 8,000 rushing yards- 73 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 9,000 rushing yards- 82 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 10,000 rushing yards- 91 GP
  • Fastest player to reach 11,000 rushing yards- 103 GP
  • Fastest player to gain 1,000 yards from scrimmage- 7 GP
  • Fastest player to gain 2,000 yards from scrimmage- 14 GP
  • Fastest player to gain 4,000 yards from scrimmage- 30 GP- tied with Edgerrin James
  • Fastest player to gain 7,000 yards from scrimmage- 55 GP
  • Fastest player to gain 8,000 yards from scrimmage- 64 GP
Dickerson was inducted into the Indianapolis Colts Ring of Honor during the week 15 game against the Houston Texans on December 15, 2013 along with Marshall Faulk, who is also a former Colts running back.[15]

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have been on and off a philosophy kick for much of my life. I take a break and come back to it. I have studied Toaism, the Stoics, The Ghita, all teaching basically the same ideas. One of which is not to hate anyone or any events.

I try very hard to follow the rules of thought that these philosophies set forth, but I always have one obstacle that I can never overcome. I hate that cheapass Georgia Frontiere with a passion!! She has ruined so much of my Rams over the years with her dirty dealings and her henchmen. Thanks to that woman, I fear that I will never reach my final goal of a truly Stoic life.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW for those wondering what connection my first post had with Dickerson, he was always in a contract dispute with the Rams because Georgia did not like paying the going rate for the best player in football at the time........or ever.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
BTW for those wondering what connection my first post had with Dickerson, he was always in a contract dispute with the Rams because Georgia did not like paying the going rate for the best player in football at the time........or ever.
And what was Brock doing as qb? Could have been a dynasty with Eric at rb. Pisses me off to no end.

jap

Legend

I have always been surprised at fans who were bitter with Eric for seeking more money before his contract was up. (This was in the days when players played through their contracts before seeking a raise.) However, rushing for 1808 yards in his rookie season and following up by establishing a new NFL standard of 2105 yards in his sophomore campaign, I think it is ridiculously safe to say that he grossly outplayed his contract and deserved a redo.

At 6'3", 225 pounds he was the fastest RB in the NFL, even over a young Barry Sanders. When he built up momentum, you couldn't tackle him high without gang tackling him. He just raced through arm tackles like they weren't even there. One had to resort to tripping him up and praying he lost his balance. The only player I ever saw run him down from behind was Washington's CB speedster, Darrell Green.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When I think of what a running back is, in the purest form, I think of Eric Dickerson. Best pure runner in franchise history. Definitely among the best ever in the history of the NFL running the football.

Faulk invented his own category when it came to the position. A dual threat that was equally gifted catching and running. I've not seen another player do both as good as Faulk did.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I loved watching Dickerson run. There may never be another like him. Having such a dominant RB (and an O-line of Slater, Harrah, Hill, Smith and Pankey) meant going into every single game expecting to win. I still think he was the best pure runner I've ever seen.

Knowing what he did for the Rams back in the day gets me pumped about the direction of this team and the possibility of having that feeling again.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have always been surprised at fans who were bitter with Eric for seeking more money before his contract was up. (This was in the days when players played through their contracts before seeking a raise.) However, rushing for 1808 yards in his rookie season and following up by establishing a new NFL standard of 2105 yards in his sophomore campaign, I think it is ridiculously safe to say that he grossly outplayed his contract and deserved a redo.

At 6'3", 225 pounds he was the fastest RB in the NFL, even over a young Barry Sanders. When he built up momentum, you couldn't tackle him high without gang tackling him. He just raced through arm tackles like they weren't even there. One had to resort to tripping him up and praying he lost his balance. The only player I ever saw run him down from behind was Washington's CB speedster, Darrell Green.

His backup was making more money than he was and if I recall that didn't sit well with him at all. He was making 600K or so and White had just been acquired and was getting over a million.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I loved watching Dickerson run. There may never be another like him. Having such a dominant RB (and an O-line of Slater, Harrah, Hill, Smith and Pankey) meant going into every single game expecting to win. I still think he was the best pure runner I've ever seen.

Knowing what he did for the Rams back in the day gets me pumped about the direction of this team and the possibility of having that feeling again.
I also really enjoyed watching ED, especially live. But while I appreciated him then, I think I still didn't realize just how special that moment in time was until much later in life. But the thought of regaining some of magic again, especially with a reasonable owner, coach and QB play, is really really exciting. I won't under appreciate it this time.

Watched the video on YouTube. This video that came after, ranking top 25 RBs in the Super Bowl era, and putting AD at #2. Faulk at #7. I kinda like this perspective, less focused on numbers (rings) and more focused on ability.
3900 yrds rushing in his first 2years. Wow.

Not sure I can argue against putting Walter Payton before ED... it's certainly close. Perhaps 1a or 1b. Or, perhap both ashare the number 1 spot. But overall, a very good list.

Last edited: