Top 10 - what do we still need?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As the first wave of free agency wraps up, and the draft is still ahead of us, what are the top 10 positions we still need to fill?

Not in order, but my thoughts are:

#2 RB - Kyren was awesome when healthy, but he had definitely shown that he has a tendency to get hurt. And when he wasn't out there, we didn't look nearly as good. I think I would like a bruiser there - good for short yardage and good for blocking, but that may be gilding the lily.

#4/5 WR - same basic reasoning - Kupp and Nacua both play hard and get hurt. We need someone bigger than Tutu to come in and take their place if they are down for any length of time.

DE - Jonah Williams wasn't the answer, and neither is Michael Hoecht. Someone that can play tough on the line and add some pressure would be a huge asset.

5T DT - Replacing Kobie's spot, with him moving over to Donald's spot. A high draft pick might be the way to go there with what is remaining on the free agency board.

Edge - Would have been nice to get someone here through free agency, but, not sure there is anyone left that would work for us.

MLB - We need someone beside Ernest Jones, and Rozeboom ain't it. Especially with AD gone, we need a tough against the run inside presence back there.

CB1 - I love that Darious had returned, but we still need a lock down corner if we can find one.

FS - I know we don't play a true SS/FS style, but we still really need some one who can go after the ball. Curl is a stud, but he's not going to come up with a bunch of interceptions this year.

K - I think this is fairly obvious.

Backup OL - not as important with Note restructured, but he and McClendon are the only two that are sure things as backups right now.

These aren't in order, and aren't all- inclusive, but they are the 10 biggest holes I would like filled between now and August.

What do you think?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Defense, defense, defense. DT, edge, MLB, CB. I want to see them use #19 on someone who can step right in and start, be it through draft or trade.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Defense, defense, defense. DT, edge, MLB, CB. I want to see them use #19 on someone who can step right in and start, be it through draft or trade.
I think you forgot one thing.. DEFENSE. I'd like to see nearly the entire draft class used on D, particularly the first 4 picks.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The Rams need to get starting caliber players for their defense in this draft while adding some quality backup type players on offense. The focus as I see it must be on the defensive side of the ball.

dang

Legend
Not a major contributor anymore but Calais Campbell (on an incentive laden contract) would be a good contributor and a vet mentor to our young defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well now we need a DT. And there ain't much in free agency. I suppose it will have to be addressed in the draft. Problem is, we also need an edge rusher. There should be some good options at 19. But maybe not at 52. Do they go DT first or edge? Personally, I think edge takes longer to develop than DT for rookies. So if its win now, I'd pick Murphy or Newton at 19. And see whats available at 52.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Starting Defensive End - Our biggest need, Hoecht ain't cutting it.

Starting CB - Might be filled in house, but still need another decent one from the draft or FA

Left Tackle of the Future - Draft one in the early rounds

Defensive Tackle - You can't replace Donald, but we still need big bodies

Kicker - Draft one, sign a vet to compete

Backup RB - Rivers isn't enough

Young WR to develop for next season - Mid round draft pick to learn from Kupp and Robinson

Backup Center - The rest of the Oline has backups, get a cheap FA

Kick / Punt Returner - Please bring in someone with solid hands and some wheels

Free Safety - Most likely filled by Yeast or one of the other guys we have

And these ARE in order of importance, at least in my opinion

methomas50

UDFA
Defense: DT Edge LB CB and S pretty much could use upgrades everywhere.

Offense: LT, WR, TE, RB and QB of the future.

With eleven picks the goal should be immediate upgrades at 5 or 6 positions.

dang

Legend
Starting Defensive End - Our biggest need, Hoecht ain't cutting it.

Starting CB - Might be filled in house, but still need another decent one from the draft or FA

Left Tackle of the Future - Draft one in the early rounds

Defensive Tackle - You can't replace Donald, but we still need big bodies

Kicker - Draft one, sign a vet to compete

Backup RB - Rivers isn't enough

Young WR to develop for next season - Mid round draft pick to learn from Kupp and Robinson

Backup Center - The rest of the Oline has backups, get a cheap FA

Kick / Punt Returner - Please bring in someone with solid hands and some wheels

Free Safety - Most likely filled by Yeast or one of the other guys we have

And these ARE in order of importance, at least in my opinion
Good list. I think you missed one. An ILB partner for EJIII. Maybe even a stud like Edgerrin Cooper to make up some ground for losing Donald. Rozeboom is depth-level only.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Good list. I think you missed one. An ILB partner for EJIII. Maybe even a stud like Edgerrin Cooper to make up some ground for losing Donald. Rozeboom is depth-level only.
I would like to see Earnest Jones extended at this point.

And yes, all in on Cooper. I would even take him late rd 1 after a trade down or two.

Then trade back up in rd 2 to get the best edge or DT that slides.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
It's extremely rare to hit on multiple picks multiple years in a row I'm all for hopefully hitting on even 40% of our picks but to think we will get Kyron pukas turners etc again is a tall ask not to mention any defense rooks won't have the benefit of learning from AD offensive cookies will still have staff coop etc. Rams need to hit yes but they better start figuring out via leftovers or trades on how to put some veteran NFL experienced players out there. To me every player we draft is always a star because it's what I hope for but realistically as presently constituted we really do not have a front seven lol

Memphis Ram

Legend
Biggest need is more difference makers.

Second biggest need is the realization that there probably isn't a team in the league that doesn't have holes.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

Yes, i definitely forgot another inside LB. I guess it's the scheme that confuses me sometimes. We are a 3-4 but they line up like a 4-3 most of the time.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pass rush.

We don't need a "stud" edge player. We need a good edge group. We don't need another Aaron Donald. He doesn't exist. We need a DT who can pressure the QB. I'm not convinced we need a "stud", shutdown CB. We need a good CB room. Produce those things and our pass rush, pressure, coverage will be fine.

We do need a #2 RB. Will we have to draft one or is he on the roster?
We do need another WR.
We do need an ILB.
And we need a T to development for 2025 or 2026.

I really don't think we have a ton of pressing needs. Pass rush/DL/coverage. RB/WR/OL depth. We have a young team and by season's end last year, they weren't playing like youngsters. It wouldn't surprise me if some of what we need is already on the roster.

Having said that, I would like to see them draft DT and Edge high (maybe late too). And the best available for RB, WR, ILB, DB, OL, in no particular order from the 3rd round on. They'll manufacture a good draft, I'm confident they will. And whatever we miss out on, if we miss out on anything, we'll pick them up in the post draft UDFA and free agency period.

Gonna be another fun off season, watching how they formulate the roster.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
DL- Rams are losing close to 1500 snaps between Aaron Donald and Jonah Williams. This is, significantly, the biggest hole on the roster right now. Obviously.. You need them to be really good players.

EDGE- This is the part of the roster where I see the greatest need to upgrade the current talent. The good news? The returning starters are back and young and could be expected to improve. The defense can be functional with these two.. But a significant upgrade in talent is needed for the unit, imo.

RB- Kyren Williams was great.. And has yet to play a full season. And the fall off from him is dramatic, as far as the performance of the offense goes. Need a quality #2.

Corner-D Williams is a very solid upgrade over Witherspoon. Opposite of him you have three young players who can battle for the spot.. Two of whom have seen a good amount of PT. A decent addition would really boost the position and likely beat all of those guys out.

K-They literally left a ton of points on the board last year. This needs SIGNIFICANT improvement.

WR- Kupp’s health makes adding a legitimate 3-down guy a decent priority.

LB- It would be nice to upgrade Rozeboom.

S-I think adding Curl makes adding to the room less critical. More talent is always welcome.

TE-Adding another young guy is needed.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'd love to see the Rams do this..

- Trade for Hassan Reddick
- Sign Tre'davious White on a 1-2 year deal.
- Sign Sebastian Joseph-Day
- Sign ILB Shaquille Leonard
- Draft Cooper DeJean in R1.
- Draft DL in R2
- Draft WR and DL on R3.

SJD and SL should be cheap.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'd love to see the Rams do this..

- Trade for Hassan Reddick
- Sign Tre'davious White on a 1-2 year deal.
- Sign Sebastian Joseph-Day
- Sign ILB Shaquille Leonard
- Draft Cooper DeJean in R1.
- Draft DL in R2
- Draft WR and DL on R3.

SJD and SL should be cheap.

For Me ...

I would be OK with Reddick but he wants $, and the Eagles don't want to pay, so I hope it's not one of the Rams' draft choices in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

White is all about cost.
I like the Williams and Curl additions but still consider the Defensive Backfield an area of need.

Would like a veteran D-Line addition to help-out on run-defense but prefer a veteran like Austin Johnson, Bryan Mone, Teair Tart, Dean Lowry and Jordan Phillips. However, thinking post-Draft because any contract would need to be close to the veteran-minimum.

Don't know if Leonard has anything left. Would like a 2nd off-ball-LB but thinking the Draft.

Round 1 ... Best Available Player at Edge, D-Line, D-Back, WR and maybe OL.
A future starting-OT would be nice but might not see the field in 2024.

Round 2 ... Best Available Player

Round 3 (two picks) ... BAP at one of the positions of need.

Hoping there are a couple post-Draft signings comparable to Demarcus Robinson and Ahkello Witherspoon.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
For Me ...

I would be OK with Reddick but he wants $, and the Eagles don't want to pay, so I hope it's not one of the Rams' draft choices in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

White is all about cost.
I like the Williams and Curl additions but still consider the Defensive Backfield an area of need.

Would like a veteran D-Line addition to help-out on run-defense but prefer a veteran like Austin Johnson, Bryan Mone, Teair Tart, Dean Lowry and Jordan Phillips. However, thinking post-Draft because any contract would need to be close to the veteran-minimum.

Don't know if Leonard has anything left. Would like a 2nd off-ball-LB but thinking the Draft.

Round 1 ... Best Available Player at Edge, D-Line, D-Back, WR and maybe OL.
A future starting-OT would be nice but might not see the field in 2024.

Round 2 ... Best Available Player

Round 3 (two picks) ... BAP at one of the positions of need.

Hoping there are a couple post-Draft signings comparable to Demarcus Robinson and Ahkello Witherspoon.
I think Reddick/Young EDGE with Turner/Bobby/guy like SJD and a pick in R2/R3 would be very serviceable.

I line Leonard as at worst, depth. Still only 29, and shouldn't break the bank.

I like White on a 1 maybe 2 (back loaded) deal to see if he can be health or has any left.

And obviously still want DeJean, I think helping add more and more to the DBs could help the Front 7 out.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Another thing on Edgerin Cooper is that he can play off-the-ball LB, but on the next play he can line up at edge as well and be a threat there with his speed. Did that a lot in college.

He is the difference maker that can help make up for the list big plays grim Donald.

Another reminder

View: https://youtu.be/DdXV2Jr30Dc?si=rBL2mEx2qGTLNJJF