Too Slim, Too Trim: Rams Need Nick Fairley to Gain Weight/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Too slim, too trim: Rams need Nick Fairley to gain weight
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ms-need-dt-nick-fairley-to-gain-weight-060915

ST. LOUIS -- Rams defensive tackle Nick Fairley has entered team OTAs looking slim and trim, at least for a guy paid to terrorize quarterbacks.

Conditioning struggles dogged the former first-round pick through the first three seasons of his NFL career with the Detroit Lions, which prompted the Rams to include a $500K workout incentive on his current one-year deal. It proved effective -- Fairley hired a chef and dropped below 300 pounds. After an injury-shortened 2014 season, he signed with the Rams and seems to have put his conditioning struggles behind him.

In fact, Fairley's new habits were almost too effective -- with the Rams, he received the enviable assignment of regaining some of the weight he'd lost.

"His condition level's fine," Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Tuesday. "Nick's changed his lifestyle, changed his diet, and we're trying to get some weight back on him right now. And he's done it. He's worked hard the last couple weeks."

"Putting on five pounds each week was my goal," Fairley explained of his approach entering OTAs. "So far, I'm sticking with it and I'm meeting it."

For what it's worth, the Rams' official roster currently has him at 308, and Fairley admits Tuesday that he feels "pretty good." There's little room for relapse, however, if he wants to stay competitive on a roster that includes a bevy of defensive line talent (sophomore standout Aaron Donald comes to mind) -- something his head coach says Fairley is aware of.

In the meantime, the defensive tackle is enjoying his new teammates, though he'd had little time to learn his new city (for which he's apologetic).

"I kind of like our D-line room -- it's kind of laid back," Fairley says. "Then again, when it's time to get serious, we're serious."

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya I got a "few" pounds he can have and keep :(:barefoot:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Me three, 25 pounds here he can surely have if it will help.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Always easier to add weight than lose IMO, but adding muscle is always a challenge. IMO, I see Fairley having a huge year this year!

A55VA6

Legend
I like what Fisher said about Fairley. "Nick's changed his lifestyle, changed his diet, and we're trying to get some weight back on him right now. And he's done it. He's worked hard the last couple weeks."

If he can stay healthy, With his talent this D-Line could seriously be unstoppable.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher pleased with Nick Fairley's conditioning
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...isher-pleased-with-nick-fairleys-conditioning

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Almost since the day he arrived in the NFL via the 2011 draft, defensive tackle Nick Fairley has been dogged by weight problems. It's happening again now that Fairley has left the Detroit Lions for the St. Louis Rams.

Fairley was often considered overweight in his time with the Lions, ballooning to as much as 320 pounds. But here's where the plot twist comes in: The Rams aren't concerned with Fairly being too heavy. They actually have monitored his weight because he's close to being lighter than they'd like.

“I was actually concerned about Nick’s weight being on the low side," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "Nick has changed his lifestyle, changed his diet. We’re trying to get some weight back on him right now and he’s done it. He’s worked hard the last couple of weeks."

Fairley actually began the process of trimming down before last season in Detroit when he says he was able to get down to about 290 pounds with the help of a personal chef. After suffering a knee injury, there was concern that Fairley's weight would go back up but that hasn't been the case. In fact, when Fairley signed with the Rams in March, he said he was about 280 pounds upon arrival.

When the Rams started their offseason conditioning program, Fairley set about trying to put some weight back on but do it the right way by adding muscle. His goal was to tack on about 5 pounds per week until he got where the team wanted him to be.

The Rams list Fairley at 308 pounds on the current roster. During these organized team activities, Fairley has been working in a rotation with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers and taking repetitions with the second-team defense.

"He’s doing fine," Fisher said. "His conditioning level is fine. If he’s going to compete with our guys up front he’s going to have to run and he knows that.”