Too early for McVay to plug in some promising youngsters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here are some possibilities:

Give Gurley, Brown, and Henderson each approx one third of the snaps (until Gurley is actually 100% again). Let the most productive of that 3 start to get more and more snaps. Best producer gets fed in a law of the jungle kinda way.

Edwards at LG. Sit Demby.

Natrez Patrick in Matthews position until Clay can come back. Sit Ebu.

Long in Talib’s position. Sit Hill. Might enable Wade to revert to man coverage. Zone hasn’t been working all that well, has it?

If someone can think of an alternative to Christian at S I’m all ears.

Yeah, there would be some risk involved, but there would be upside, too. I think that the 4 players above would outplay the vets that they replaced. Plus gain invaluable experience for ‘20, plus give the FO/coaches an excellent idea of true needs for next offseason. That would be priceless information. Besides, there is risk associated with depending on Demby, Ebu, and Hill, too. No guts, no glory.

WTH do they have to lose, really? Like I posted elsewhere, we’ve already managed to lose 3 in a row and fall 3 games behind in the division without these bold moves. Sooooo...

KayJay

Starter
Henderson being a rookie alone makes him more susceptible to fumbles and mistakes like the crippling one he had against San Francisco. The Rams aren't rebuilding, they are trying to win games. While I do agree Henderson should see more snaps. They have a lot to lose 6 games into the season.

The lockeroom, their confidence, and the chance of acquiring an actual identity again. We are 6 games into the season. There is nothing wrong with lowering your expectations; but what you are suggesting isn't exactly feasible at this point in the season. Our record literally mimics other teams that were favorites during the off season. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Chicago too depending on how they perform against New Orleans. If we make the playoffs, we still establish we are a playoff team, that just wasn't good enough to win the chip if we lose. There is something to be gained there.

The devil you do know, is better than the devil you don't know. A bird in hand, is worth two in the bush. You dance with the date you brought ect. This is on the coaches, their job is to coach and scheme the team into the right direction. Not to depend on enigmas and high risk maneuvers.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Henderson being a rookie alone makes him more susceptible to fumbles and mistakes like the crippling one he had against San Francisco. The Rams aren't rebuilding, they are trying to win games. While I do agree Henderson should see more snaps. They have a lot to lose 6 games into the season.

The lockeroom, their confidence, and the chance of acquiring an actual identity again. We are 6 games into the season. There is nothing wrong with lowering your expectations; but what you are suggesting isn't exactly feasible at this point in the season. Our record literally mimics other teams that were favorites during the off season. Dallas, Philadelphia, and Chicago too depending on how they perform against New Orleans. If we make the playoffs, we still establish we are a playoff team, that just wasn't good enough to win the chip if we lose. There is something to be gained there.

The devil you do know, is better than the devil you don't know. A bird in hand, is worth two in the bush. You dance with the date you brought ect. This is on the coaches, their job is to coach and scheme the team into the right direction. Not to depend on enigmas and high risk maneuvers.

Edwards over Demby isn’t a big stretch.

And Patrick over Ebu isn’t either, IMO. He’ll, I think both are significant upgrades, tbh.

Long over Hill might be a coin flip. Then again, maybe not.

Henderson getting more snaps is a no-brainer, if you ask me.

My point? These proposed moves are not all that risky considering the players they would replace.

KayJay

Starter
Edwards over Demby isn’t a big stretch.

And Patrick over Ebu isn’t either, IMO. He’ll, I think both are significant upgrades, tbh.

Long over Hill might be a coin flip. Then again, maybe not.

Henderson getting more snaps is a no-brainer, if you ask me.

My point? These proposed moves are not all that risky considering the players they would replace.
That's fine, but you are proposing this as if the Rams didn't think about this already. They see guys every day at practice, they make personnel decisions all of the time. And Henderson's fumble of a pitch drove the point home in exactly what they are afraid of. But this is a moot point. Because they still have something to lose, I offered an opinion to refute the point made in your initial post.

dang

Legend
With the exception of the WRs, Donald, Matthews (before injury), Hekker and NRC I think the entire team has lost some confidence. That’s on McVay and will challenge his status as an elite coach. I have faith but we are at a crossroads for this season.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Sit Demby.

Couldn't agree more with this, no way Demby should be playing.

This AM on twitter:

PSA: Jamil Demby’s PFF grade in pass blocking is a 3.2. No other eligible linemen has a blocking grade under 20 period. Hell, I’ve never even seen a single digit number on that website in my life until I saw that
11:21 AM · Oct 15, 2019
@steverebeiro

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay did not have one starting rookie this season in his offense. Wade defense did not either but has used DB Taylor Rapp more & more. NT Greg Gaines to a much lesser degree. Wade did decide to go with 2018 6th rd selection youngsters NT Sebastian Joseph-Day early & MLB'er Micah Kiser.

I am sure McVay's stiff reluctance to utilize young rookie Ol'ers Noteboom, Allen & Demby much more often last season in relief (in hindsight) appears to have played a major part in his offensive demise thus far in 2019 season. Yes Rookies do make mistakes just as our veterans have thus far .....should I start to name all our veterans who have committed real stupid mistakes?

There are pro's & con's to both. Since this current team is in serious downward slide. Its not just trending but spiraling. Keeping promising youngsters to a minimum does offer more pro's presently for trying to win a few more games this season but does not right this sinking ship for the future. Getting these youngins on the field helps them get the needed experience to benefit this team next season when there is will still be real hope of fielding a championship team.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Play Rapp and Johnson at safety and I always felt that Christain would be better at LBer than safety.

dang

Legend
Couldn't agree more with this, no way Demby should be playing.

This AM on twitter:

PSA: Jamil Demby’s PFF grade in pass blocking is a 3.2. No other eligible linemen has a blocking grade under 20 period. Hell, I’ve never even seen a single digit number on that website in my life until I saw that
11:21 AM · Oct 15, 2019
@steverebeiro
Hind sight. Jamon Brown and Saffold would’ve helped tremendously.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Play Rapp and Johnson at safety and I always felt that Christain would be better at LBer than safety.
Good chance JJ III is heading to the IR. So your safeties would be Rapp & Weddle in with the base. When Wade goes to his 2-4-5 he might insert Christian or he could keep Rapp in @ SS with Littleton back up ILB'er Howard replacing Reader inside.

My preference is to keep FS Christian off the field @ all costs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I prefer Patrick stay at ILB. He can run, has great ball instincts and hits like a truck, plus when he hits guys, the go down or backwards unlike Reeder who tends to wrap up and guys fall forward, sometimes for a few yards.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll start with the defense:

*Edge Rushers: effectiveness is trending downward. Fowler & Ebukam are not a getting the job done. Rams paid big for Fowler services this season....not worth the $$$ he will not be back next season. Ebukam is an incomplete starter who needs to be a reserve @ best. Time for Wade to get his young ER's in the game...Patrick/ Okoronkwo/ Durham/ Polite.

*ILB'ers:
Littleton is a star...the other ILB'ers Hager/Reader/Kiser are not promising part-time starters. new Ram Kenny Young who was traded for is not a true MLB'er either. Wade would have a more effective duo ILB'er unit if he utilizes both Cory Littleton & Travin Howard on the field together.

*Big changes @ outside corners are coming......Ramsey & veteran career back up Hill will work the press as starters. Youngsters
David Long & Darious Williams will finally need to see the field.

Safeties....with the JJ III injury time to see
Taylor Rapp playing @ strong safety not Christian.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay did not have one starting rookie this season in his offense. Wade defense did not either but has used DB Taylor Rapp more & more. NT Greg Gaines to a much lesser degree. Wade did decide to go with 2018 6th rd selection youngsters NT Sebastian Joseph-Day early & MLB'er Micah Kiser.

I am sure McVay's stiff reluctance to utilize young rookie Ol'ers Noteboom, Allen & Demby much more often last season in relief (in hindsight) appears to have played a major part in his offensive demise thus far in 2019 season. Yes Rookies do make mistakes just as our veterans have thus far .....should I start to name all our veterans who have committed real stupid mistakes?

There are pro's & con's to both. Since this current team is in serious downward slide. Its not just trending but spiraling. Keeping promising youngsters to a minimum does offer more pro's presently for trying to win a few more games this season but does not right this sinking ship for the future. Getting these youngins on the field helps them get the needed experience to benefit this team next season when there is will still be real hope of fielding a championship team.

well The Rams rookie offensive lineman did get there chance & made the best of it. Almost actually help get The Rams into the playoffs.
I think Greg Gaines needs to get a start, or at least get seriously a bunch of reps !!

good call Bonified !! A little early maybe ?? Maybe if they were in earlier things would have been better longer.

—At one point you liked Demby, but he totally stunk it up & why Mcvay(Kromer)left him in for so long ??

speaking of long ?? David Long should get a lot of reps & Hill should sit ?? Why get him hurt & lose valuable reps for David Long ??

Brocker will be a cap relief , but liked his Rams way he brought everyday !! Solid guy, but time to move on.

OO - needs reps as well !! Even Nick Scott maybe get a few reps late if the Niners are taking it to The Rams ??

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
One guy needs reps for sure, but McVay won't do it. Darrell Henderson. If you draft a RB in the 3rd round, he should be getting a handful of snaps each week at least, especially when the current RB is going nowhere for the entire game...

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
One guy needs reps for sure, but McVay won't do it. Darrell Henderson. If you draft a RB in the 3rd round, he should be getting a handful of snaps each week at least, especially when the current RB is going nowhere for the entire game...

When Gurley got carries, the Rams have won.

Can't say that about Henderson.