Too Early But I Believe In Our Top 2 OL Picks Over Others Picked

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Basically I want to defend Rob Havenstein and I don't need to defend Jamon Brown as a 3rd round pick over who was taken earlier than who we took where.

At Pick 5 in 1st round Brandon Scherff taken early in hopes (not knowing for sure) he could play OT and he's a starting OG at this early point in the season. (skins)

Ereck Flowers at pick 9 in 1st round is at least still trying to man a 1st string spot with Giants. Andrus Peat 1st round pick 13 came in out of shape and unmotivated from many New Orleans sports writers. Who knows where history will take him but he is Backing up Strief as a 2nd stringer. They better hope injury does'nt force them into a real bad move. (For Brees that is).

Cam Erving taken 1st round pick 19 with most thinking he would start somewhere at Center but the Browns already have a pretty decent starter that has 1 more year on his contract unless extended so for now Cam Erving is an OG starting for them in those horrible uni's.

The next OL taken in 1st round was Cedric Ogbuehie from Bama for the Bengals who currently have him as a 3rd string OT behind their 2nd round #53 pick Jake Fisher who is in front of cedric on the 2nd team OT. I'm sure not what they wanted with these two picks taken ahead of our 2nd round pick.

Next was D. J. Humphries in 1st round by Cards pick #24 who currently have him listed as their 3rd round OLT. Next OL taken with 2nd round very early pick #34 Donovan Smith (Who I liked) and he is currently splitting reps with another vet on Buc's OLT. They are listed 1a and 1b right now as they also took the well Known Ali Marpet with their late 2nd round pic #61 and he's current 2nd string OG as most thought he'd make a good center. Time will tell.

The only other OL taken before we picked was 2nd round #49 pick Mitch Morse who was rated an OG going to the Chiefs who lost Hudson their center in FA'cy for a giant payday to raiders and is now currently the starting Center.

The RAMS then picked in 2nd round #57 Rob Havenstein to start as our ORT and we have seen lots of physical transformation and we know he is'nt dumb and he and Brown actually are better than I ever thought they would be going into the 4th pre-season game. I think Rob has techniques of course to learn to work against the leagues speed rushers in passing game and is still thinking too much and learning to square his shoulders against rushers but I love his effort and he has stayed after practice to work is humble and mean and knows how high the mountain he is climbing is. Love also he is from the Wisconsin OL program. People are a little hostile after a miscommunication and sack allowed in the Colts game and Rob has'nt seen the speedier rushers this league has to offer. We have 3 guys to help on his outside to block and now Saffold the coach will be next to him while J. Brown moves next to G. Rob. and I like what very little of Wichman I've seen.

Have'nt seen enough of Donnal to even form an educated opinion. I think it may come down to Barnes VS Donnal in just my own personal opinion as Barnes looks best at center in Zone blocking and gets pushed back the least with an unknown injury to his leg I am not aware of why he missed that one day of practice and I think a pre-season game.

The only other OL taken before Rob was Laken Tomlinson who was never a thought for us as he is strictly a guard and looks okay as a starter in 1st round pick #28 to Lions.

I just wanted to give nothing more than a snapshot quick look back over how we went after our guys in 1st and 2nd round and who we passed over as only one taken super early besides Scherff is even starting like Flowers at pick 9 to giants and Donovan Smith #34 is splitting reps going into 4th pre-season for a shot at starting and protecting a rookie QB starter. Mitch Morse pick #49 is a starting Center.

I hope even mentioning the draft and where players are currently does'nt cause to big a stir as A. Peat taken sooo early has shown he has a much longer way to go as he was thought to be the best option by the talking heads with our 1st round #10 pick who is now Todd Gurley.

I actually thought posting this thread and taking others comments was a POSITIVE for the decisions we made and who we passed on and how happy we actually should be. Sorry for all the early rookie injuries especially to WR's and the top rated pass rushers who have one been lost for season and another is injured after flashing an in an unknown status. The Wisc. Badgers have the 2nd highest rated center going into college season (but is a JR) while the other top 4 are SR's and the USC kis is rated a 1st rnd pick but is under 300lbs where the Badger is 320lbs the biggest of top 5 ND and Mizzu. I'm not confident in what we have at center. Barrett Jones staying healthy and getting better with playing reps as our starter is just a stretch for me. He may be everything after time. I hope I'm wrong on this one. Coach Paul is'nt thrilled with any of the 3.

These kinds of posts don't normally go over well at this early of the process but just looking back over our shoulder I think we did as well as we could have really. We just have to ride it out. No Injuries Thursday.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I was definitely more skeptical of the picks initially then I am now. I think a lot of people are barely realizing the issues we are going to face with this line. But this is what rebuilding an offensive line entails. Think about that, 3 starters from last year are gone. We replaced them with rookies and younger players, hoping to build this line for years to come. Havenstein will have his highs and lows. We will struggle at times, but this line has the potential to be amazing. I really don't see better alternatives to how Fisher decided to rebuild this O-line.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Rob has techniques of course to learn to work against the leagues speed rushers in passing game and is still thinking too
Just in case you haven't heard it. Havenstein said in an interview, I believe w/ Dani. that he knows this is a problem he has, and he's working on it. So I think he'll work it out in short order!

fearsomefour

Legend
Havenstein is a concern going into the season, but, there are some things the team can do assist with this. TE help, RB help ect. One of the best things will be establishing a consistent running game. All of sudden play action will slow those speed rushers a bit. The situation at G with the addition of Brown, Rhaneys play at G and Reynolds is much better than last year. C is up in the air. Jones, Barnes and Rhaney all had the same problem at C. All three get moved back on a lot of running plays....too many. Whoever they decide is not the starter, at least the back up will not be a massive drop off.
T Robinson/Havenstein/Battle
G Saffold/Brown/Reynolds/Rhaney
C Jones/Barnes
I feel pretty comfortable with the middle of line, much more than last year once Long went down and Robinson was moved to LT.
It will be interesting to see who the 10th lineman is if the Rams keep 10. Donnal makes sense in terms of him being able to play T.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just in case you haven't heard it. Havenstein said in an interview, I believe w/ Dani. that he knows this is a problem he has, and he's working on it. So I think he'll work it out in short order!

I wrote this to show I'm 100% in Robs corner. He has done so much from losing 70lbs of pure belly fat. Dyvkx has the pictures to prove it . Plus I like his smart move to cut his long hair when every player in college and pro's have 4 Foot long hair. I want to have a part of the vender supplying those top O' the line dreads that everyone has now. Can't read the back of any jersey anymore.

I know the hair is a very small deal but this guy with time is just plain MOTIVATED to get done what needs to get done. His height works against him with his bending to keep the speedier guys from getting around him. I think he will focus till he is'nt having to think so much and I've watched many flashes during the games that show me he is gonna get it eventually. I'm sure Harkey will be his best friend in certain games and we'll get through those too.

I saw some starting to turn on Rob and wrote this to actually praise how far he's come since right before the combine and last seasons SR. season. I think him and J.B. worked together and will be Rams for life if things go like they should. Coach Paul may need a by-pass by then but he'll make it through. Handwork training and continue core work and building proper strength to those arms without messing up your shoulders as SO many OL have done in the Pro Training system. We got some real good guys. Just bring Gurley around properly and it looks like St. Louis RAMS forever . Think they are home for good.

fearsomefour

Legend
Its not turning on Havenstein it is just acknowledging he has issues with speed rushers.
I fully expect him to have some struggles. I also expect him to improve as the season moves along. If the O line is even just sort of solid week one it bodes well for the season as it progresses.....

When Turley was brought in the slogan could have been Release the crack head
When Long and Wells were here it could have been Release the cracked men
With this big physical group now......RELEASE THE KRAKEN.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Loved Brown from the outset great pick and great understanding that he would be superior at Guard. Havenstein has me concerned as the ceiling is not that high. He was selected IMO because he was a plug & play, but has struggled a tad more than Brown making the transition.

Now Havenstein needs to rely on more than his god given talent, however, maybe it's taking him longer to adjust to the speed of the game. T.J. Clemmings was there for the taking and in fact, would have been there in the 4th round where he went to the Viqueens.

It will be interesting to see how he developes as Clemmings is now the starting RT in Minnesota with the season ending injury to Phil Loadholt. Rams most likely felt that Clemmings was too raw and they needed somebody ready to start immediately so I will be watching both Havenstein & Clemmings this year.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The rookies will make mistakes no doubt about that but will they learn from them that's what has to be seen.In the end I think we will have a very young,physical and imposing offensive line that will dominate in the trenches for years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post Gabe and I am with you. I've mentioned before on this board and others that I felt the Rams did as good as they could given where they let themselves be this offseason on the OL. In other words it's more fair to criticize them for letting themselves be in that position than it is to criticize them for not signing more over the hill crap players to make us all feel good. I'm all in with the rooks.

Good things are definitely ahead on that line, hopefully sooner than later!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Basically I want to defend Rob Havenstein and I don't need to defend Jamon Brown as a 3rd round pick over who was taken earlier than who we took where.

At Pick 5 in 1st round Brandon Scherff taken early in hopes (not knowing for sure) he could play OT and he's a starting OG at this early point in the season. (skins)

Ereck Flowers at pick 9 in 1st round is at least still trying to man a 1st string spot with Giants. Andrus Peat 1st round pick 13 came in out of shape and unmotivated from many New Orleans sports writers. Who knows where history will take him but he is Backing up Strief as a 2nd stringer. They better hope injury does'nt force them into a real bad move. (For Brees that is).

Cam Erving taken 1st round pick 19 with most thinking he would start somewhere at Center but the Browns already have a pretty decent starter that has 1 more year on his contract unless extended so for now Cam Erving is an OG starting for them in those horrible uni's.

The next OL taken in 1st round was Cedric Ogbuehie from Bama for the Bengals who currently have him as a 3rd string OT behind their 2nd round #53 pick Jake Fisher who is in front of cedric on the 2nd team OT. I'm sure not what they wanted with these two picks taken ahead of our 2nd round pick.

Next was D. J. Humphries in 1st round by Cards pick #24 who currently have him listed as their 3rd round OLT. Next OL taken with 2nd round very early pick #34 Donovan Smith (Who I liked) and he is currently splitting reps with another vet on Buc's OLT. They are listed 1a and 1b right now as they also took the well Known Ali Marpet with their late 2nd round pic #61 and he's current 2nd string OG as most thought he'd make a good center. Time will tell.

The only other OL taken before we picked was 2nd round #49 pick Mitch Morse who was rated an OG going to the Chiefs who lost Hudson their center in FA'cy for a giant payday to raiders and is now currently the starting Center.

The RAMS then picked in 2nd round #57 Rob Havenstein to start as our ORT and we have seen lots of physical transformation and we know he is'nt dumb and he and Brown actually are better than I ever thought they would be going into the 4th pre-season game. I think Rob has techniques of course to learn to work against the leagues speed rushers in passing game and is still thinking too much and learning to square his shoulders against rushers but I love his effort and he has stayed after practice to work is humble and mean and knows how high the mountain he is climbing is. Love also he is from the Wisconsin OL program. People are a little hostile after a miscommunication and sack allowed in the Colts game and Rob has'nt seen the speedier rushers this league has to offer. We have 3 guys to help on his outside to block and now Saffold the coach will be next to him while J. Brown moves next to G. Rob. and I like what very little of Wichman I've seen.

Have'nt seen enough of Donnal to even form an educated opinion. I think it may come down to Barnes VS Donnal in just my own personal opinion as Barnes looks best at center in Zone blocking and gets pushed back the least with an unknown injury to his leg I am not aware of why he missed that one day of practice and I think a pre-season game.

The only other OL taken before Rob was Laken Tomlinson who was never a thought for us as he is strictly a guard and looks okay as a starter in 1st round pick #28 to Lions.

I just wanted to give nothing more than a snapshot quick look back over how we went after our guys in 1st and 2nd round and who we passed over as only one taken super early besides Scherff is even starting like Flowers at pick 9 to giants and Donovan Smith #34 is splitting reps going into 4th pre-season for a shot at starting and protecting a rookie QB starter. Mitch Morse pick #49 is a starting Center.

I hope even mentioning the draft and where players are currently does'nt cause to big a stir as A. Peat taken sooo early has shown he has a much longer way to go as he was thought to be the best option by the talking heads with our 1st round #10 pick who is now Todd Gurley.

I actually thought posting this thread and taking others comments was a POSITIVE for the decisions we made and who we passed on and how happy we actually should be. Sorry for all the early rookie injuries especially to WR's and the top rated pass rushers who have one been lost for season and another is injured after flashing an in an unknown status. The Wisc. Badgers have the 2nd highest rated center going into college season (but is a JR) while the other top 4 are SR's and the USC kis is rated a 1st rnd pick but is under 300lbs where the Badger is 320lbs the biggest of top 5 ND and Mizzu. I'm not confident in what we have at center. Barrett Jones staying healthy and getting better with playing reps as our starter is just a stretch for me. He may be everything after time. I hope I'm wrong on this one. Coach Paul is'nt thrilled with any of the 3.

These kinds of posts don't normally go over well at this early of the process but just looking back over our shoulder I think we did as well as we could have really. We just have to ride it out. No Injuries Thursday.

Outstanding post, GabesHorn.

An excellent perspective on the early returns of our draft, particularly on OL.

And the Battle and Wichmann decisions don't look too shabby, either.

Thanks for the work you put into that, man.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He has done so much from losing 70lbs of pure belly fat. Dyvkx has the pictures to prove it .

I miss Frankenstein.

7_1013795.JPG

Havenstein_Rob-Wisconsin-9-1-12.jpg

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
There are plenty, but all are impossible to achieve without a Tardis.
Or a sonic screwdriver. (y)
My wife just left the house to run some errands wearing a T-shirt that says: "Keep Calm and Don't Blink". I think our OL rooks could use that advice :cool:

Speedr@m

Rookie
I look forward to seeing each of them develop. There are goign to be some growing pains we just need to be ready for them

I'd be lying if I said I didnt wish they were opening with the Seahawks front

The Hawks oline is an issue for them too... but they have gone to back to back SBs despite that. SO it can be done