Tony Romo Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Replace Phil Simms? That's a great idea, If Jim Nantz wasn't there, listening to Simms would make my ears bleed.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
All fanbases have those types of fans. There would be a bunch of rams fans doing the same thing if it was your team.
I wish the Rams were in the position to have a QB come back down to earth.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I wish the Rams were in the position to have a QB come back down to earth.
Everyone here is obsessed and hoping that Dak has a sophomore slump. Why do you think that? He's not a run-first QB. He set several rookie records. He only had 4 interceptions on the season. He's the hardest working guy on the team. Will he have as good a season as last season? Probably not. But he's not going to have a sophomore slump. The guy is only going to get better. Just stop.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Everyone here is obsessed and hoping that Dak has a sophomore slump. Why do you think that? He's not a run-first QB. He set several rookie records. He only had 4 interceptions on the season. He's the hardest working guy on the team. Will he have as good a season as last season? Probably not. But he's not going to have a sophomore slump. The guy is only going to get better. Just stop.

I think you should go ahead and get his image tattooed right next to your Landry tat right away!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were Jerry Jones I'd do the right thing and release Tony. It's a respect thing for me, for what he's done for the team. I get that they want to squeeze a pick out of the Texans for him and all that, but Tony's a guy who has bled for them for long enough that I'd show him the respect of seeing whether he can get something worked out with another team in his last year or two.

Rams did a similar deal with S Jackson, letting him go vice trying to deal him for a lesser pick. I think Tony deserves that type of thing more than just about any other player out there.

And re: Dak gotta admit I'm tired of hearing the doubters. I watched several of their games and focused quite a bit on Dak and he's the real deal. Guy is going to have a fine career, Cowboys hit the lottery with him. Which, again, brings me around to how I think the right thing is to release Tony.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone here is obsessed and hoping that Dak has a sophomore slump.

200.gif

Who is this "everyone here" you are referring to? Personally I don't give a hoot how Dak does this coming season unless it's against the Rams. Btw our own Sam Bradford had a great rookie season as well. How did that turn out? Not saying the same thing will happen to your guy but it's best not to be overconfident based on one season. ;)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could give a cr@p about the Tony and Dak show, as long as bad things happen to the cowgirls (sorry Rynie) :rockon:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Sorry man, I hate to ruin your theory, but I liked Prescott before the Cowboys drafted him and haven't seen anything to change my mind about him. Until the Rams and Cowboys start facing off in yearly playoff games again I just don't have enough invested to root against him in any way.

Now Zeke, that's a different story. If he gets suspended for inappropriate conduct it would make my day. :D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry man, I hate to ruin your theory, but I liked Prescott before the Cowboys drafted him and haven't seen anything to change my mind about him. Until the Rams and Cowboys start facing off in yearly playoff games again I just don't have enough invested to root against him in any way.

Now Zeke, that's a different story. If he gets suspended for inappropriate conduct it would make my day. :D
Hard to hate Prescott. He may be adding his name to the Kurt Warner, Tom Brady and Russell Wilson list of QB's to come from nowhere and win SB
But Zeke? Yeah, screw him

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mo-as-no-1-analyst-phil-simms-future-unclear/

CBS confirms Tony Romo as No. 1 analyst, Phil Simms’ future unclear
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2017

350x-394-e1475850585929.jpg

(Photo by Scott Halleran/Getty Images)

Tony Romo has supplanted Phil Simms as the No. 1 analyst for the NFL on CBS, leaving the future of Phil Simms up in the air.

In a statement announcing that Romo will team with Jim Nantz this season, CBS said it will try to find a landing spot for Simms, but it’s unclear what that spot will be.

“As we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Phil Simms who served as our lead NFL analyst for nearly 20 years,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said. “Phil has been a very important part of our coverage since the NFL returned to CBS in 1998.

His strong opinions, coupled with his tremendous knowledge and passion for the National Football League, has created a unique broadcasting style making him one of the best analysts to ever call the game. We are discussing with Phil his future role with CBS Sports. We cannot thank him enough for the way he has represented himself and CBS Sports during his tenure as CBS’s lead NFL analyst.”

It’s possible that Simms could move into the studio role recently vacated by Tony Gonzalez. It’s also possible that Simms could continue as a game analyst, just not as part of the network’s No. 1 team. And it’s possible that Simms and CBS will go their separate ways.

In any event, Simms — whose analysis is frequently criticized on social media — will no longer be calling the top games on CBS. That’s now Romo’s job.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to see how Romo performs as a color analyst. This is be his first gig in broadcasting so I'll forgive any miscues; can't be any worse than Simms. Hope he at least tones down the Cowboy homerism.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Curious to see how Romo performs as a color analyst. This is be his first gig in broadcasting so I'll forgive any miscues; can't be any worse than Simms. Hope he at least tones down the Cowboy homerism.
I expect he'll do well as an analyst during the regular season, unfortunately he'll probably struggle quite a bit once the playoffs start.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-cowboys-cut-him-to-let-him-keep-bonus-money/

Tony Romo says Cowboys cut him to let him keep bonus money

The Cowboys did Tony Romo a big favor when they released him today.

By cutting Romo, rather than placing him on the NFL’s reserve/retired list, the Cowboys gave Romo the freedom to change his mind about retirement and sign with any team at any time. Romo says he’s committed to broadcasting and is done playing, but many players have said they were done only to get the itch to play again. Romo can, and he doesn’t need the Cowboys’ permission now.

But Romo said on a CBS conference call today that the Cowboys were doing him a different kind of favor by cutting him: Romo said the reason he asked the Cowboys to cut him was so that he wouldn’t be obligated to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. If he had retired, the Cowboys could have forced him to pay back $5 million in previously paid bonus money. Romo says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was doing him a kindness with the roster transaction.

“I’ve never had a better boss or mentor than Jerry Jones,” Romo said.

It’s still possible that Romo could make Jones regret that kindness by signing on with another team, and helping that team beat the Cowboys. But Romo insists he’s done, and Jones apparently believes him, and is willing to give him a $5 million farewell gift.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-cowboys-cut-him-to-let-him-keep-bonus-money/

Tony Romo says Cowboys cut him to let him keep bonus money

The Cowboys did Tony Romo a big favor when they released him today.

By cutting Romo, rather than placing him on the NFL’s reserve/retired list, the Cowboys gave Romo the freedom to change his mind about retirement and sign with any team at any time. Romo says he’s committed to broadcasting and is done playing, but many players have said they were done only to get the itch to play again. Romo can, and he doesn’t need the Cowboys’ permission now.

But Romo said on a CBS conference call today that the Cowboys were doing him a different kind of favor by cutting him: Romo said the reason he asked the Cowboys to cut him was so that he wouldn’t be obligated to pay back a portion of his signing bonus. If he had retired, the Cowboys could have forced him to pay back $5 million in previously paid bonus money. Romo says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was doing him a kindness with the roster transaction.

“I’ve never had a better boss or mentor than Jerry Jones,” Romo said.

It’s still possible that Romo could make Jones regret that kindness by signing on with another team, and helping that team beat the Cowboys. But Romo insists he’s done, and Jones apparently believes him, and is willing to give him a $5 million farewell gift.
Wait until the 1st QB gets injured this coming Season, and someone offers Romo the gig!! He'll be Back!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Or he won't. People said these exact same things about Colin Kaepernick and RGIII.

Prescott is off to a nice start, but his stats were better than his play. The thing he has going for him is the Cowboys still have an insanely talented offense. I don't see that changing any time soon.

We'll see what happens. Prescott could be Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We'll see what happens. Prescott could be Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick.

Closer to Wilson in many aspects plus playing under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State served him very well and I don't think he'll be like Kaepernick due to that Prescott passes first and runs second and it's rare, he really waits until the last minute keeping his eyes downfield, Kaepernick took off too early as soon as the defense figured to keep him in the pocket, Kaepernick become less effective IMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Closer to Wilson in many aspects plus playing under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State served him very well and I don't think he'll be like Kaepernick due to that Prescott passes first and runs second and it's rare, he really waits until the last minute keeping his eyes downfield, Kaepernick took off too early as soon as the defense figured to keep him in the pocket, Kaepernick become less effective IMHO.

That wasn't Kaepernick's issue, though. It was a symptom of the issue. Kaepernick lacked the mental processing ability to make full-field NFL reads. It's why he bailed so quickly. He essentially hit his first two progressions and then ran.

Prescott has warts. More than some would admit. Like Kaepernick, the talent around him masks some of his flaws. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.