Tony Banks on Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[2]xlYzhxNDrcMBfYmr50MKCuevHLC9ynL7[/2]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The part where he says Feeley pushed the ball downfield more didn't sit right with me. I didn't actually witness that last year. So, I had to look it up to verify if what he says is true. It's not. Granted, Feeley didn't play as many games, but Banks didn't qualify it like that. He stated an absolute. Plus, I'm only going off of the attempts over 20 yards. If you extrapolate Feeley's to match Bradford's 10 games, it still doesn't add up.

Sam Bradford splits:
aa06900f280d45cabe4fe6c.png

A.J. Feeley Splits
bdf4669ee82f44c4930a531.png

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
The part where he says Feeley pushed the ball downfield more didn't sit right with me. I didn't actually witness that last year. So, I had to look it up to verify if what he says is true. It's not. Granted, Feeley didn't play as many games, but Banks didn't qualify it like that. He stated an absolute. Plus, I'm only going off of the attempts over 20 yards. If you extrapolate Feeley's to match Bradford's 10 games, it still doesn't add up.

Sam Bradford splits:
aa06900f280d45cabe4fe6c.png

A.J. Feeley Splits
bdf4669ee82f44c4930a531.png

According to your numbers, Feely threw 22.6% of his passes 11+ yards, and Bradford 26.3% (assuming I added right).

In other words, Banks is wrong.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I heard Banks make the comparison with Feeley as well, but wasn't Tony's larger point the following?

"to push the ball dlownfield you have to be courageous in the pocket... that's went he [Sam] is gong to make that next stride, because his physical tools allow him to do that."

Now, not sure I agree with this statement either, but would lke to hear others comments on this part of Banks' comments, which still insinuate that Sam is not "courageous" enough right now.

steferfootball

Starter
interference said:
I heard Banks make the comparison with Feeley as well, but wasn't Tony's larger point the following?

"to push the ball dlownfield you have to be courageous in the pocket... that's went he [Sam] is gong to make that next stride, because his physical tools allow him to do that."

Now, not sure I agree with this statement either, but would lke to hear others comments on this part of Banks' comments, which still insinuate that Sam is not "courageous" enough right now.
I didn't watch the video. I have limited internet access at the moment.

Two phases of Bradford's Season:

Phase 1) Pre Injury - Bradford was playing well here. I charted a lot of his games and I'll say this - he was severely hurt by drops. He was also hurt by the sacks (IIRC, Saffold let 10 before he got injured, then there was Smith who didn't get out of his stance once, and Brown.... :nono: ). Despite the sacks, he played well imho....like the Iggles game, he had a 90+ qbr if you added extra yardage from the drops (no YAC). I wish I still had the stats, but I've formatted my computer since then. :(

Phase 2) Post Injury - Sam lacked confidence in his ankle, and rushing the injury just made it worse. He was starting to look a litte more confident in in the Arizona Game, but had a set back during practice. Look how much the same injury hampered Big Ben. Along those lines, Big Ben's mechanics don't define his success as a passer...most of the time he is throwing the ball when getting hit anyways. Sam has a very good set of mechanics and struggles when he can't step through.

Given those two phases of the season Phase 1 where he was absolutely beaten up, then Phase two where he didn't have confidence in his body, I don't see cause for concern yet - provided he hasn't gotten shaken QB Syndrome. I don't think 10 games last year is enough to warrant shaken QB Syndrome, so I think he will be okay moving into the future provided we can fix the offense.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Bradford is a better QB in my opinion - I have to respect Tony Banks opinion and these comments may give AJ some confidence and may give Sam Bradford the spur he needs to get better -- I like the way he showed humility by admitting he made alot of mistakes while he was our QB and is man enough to say it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I didn't watch the video either but - REALLY. Sam is going to be the victim of circumstance until he hits his stride or has an established system that allows him to do so.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I have heard this mentioned by reporters and fans during the off season. Throw Clemens in the conversation too.
It could be just a misconception caused by the timing of the arrival of Lloyd. The perception that passing game improved when they had a go to WR.