Tom Brady, Patriots agree to two-year contract extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ension-making-him-nfls-sixth-highest-paid-qb/

Tom Brady, Patriots reportedly agree to two-year contract extension, making him NFL's sixth-highest-paid QB

Tom Brady and the Patriots have agreed to a two-year extension that will pay the six-time Super Bowl champion $23 million this season, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The two-year deal will have Brady in Foxborough through the 2021 season. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora confirmed the extension and added that it allows either Brady or the Patriots to back out before the two years are up.

View: https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1158068994957598720?s=21

View: https://twitter.com/jasonlacanfora/status/1158069637663395840?s=21

This extension and pay raise now makes Brady the sixth-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, and Schefter adds that the deal will be adjusted each year he continues to play. Field Yates of ESPN and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media were the first to report that Brady and New England were close to a new deal.

The 42-year-old was entering the final year of contract with the Patriots, a storyline that was gaining more headlines with each passing day the quarterback was without a revamped deal. Had this reported extension not come, it would have been the first time in Brady's career that he'd enter a given season with free agency on the other side.

As it does with all contract negotiations, New England remained mostly mum on the subject. Brady himself had publicly remained positive throughout the offseason in regards to his contract. He joked with reporters last Wednesday asking "should we take a poll?" when asked if he feels he deserved a contract extension.

"That's up for talk show debate," he said with a smile. "What do you guys think? Should we take a poll? Talk to Mr. Kraft, come on. No, like I said, we've got a great relationship so we'll see how it goes."

Of course, the shorter-term deal was expected given that Brady has remained firm that he plans to play until he is 45. The quarterback just turned 42 over the weekend.

When asked if going year-to-year was a possibility for him, Brady told reporters last week, "We're all day-to-day if you think about it. None of us are really promised anything. I'm trying to do the best I can do today and just let those things sort themselves out."

Brady -- who completed 65.8% of his passes in 2018 for 4,355 yards, 29 touchdowns and 11 interceptions -- and the Patriots are coming off their sixth Super Bowl title together, since the quarterback came to town in 2000. This most recent trip to the big game was the third straight for New England and their fourth in five years.

"I've had such a great experience over a lot of years," Brady said. "I appreciate this team and the opportunity it gave me in 2000. I play for a great coach in Coach [Bill] Belichick, and Josh [McDaniels] and I have a great working relationship. I love Mr. [Robert] Kraft and his family. We've had just incredible success. Hopefully we can keep it going."

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah well I heard Tom Brady and the Patriots agreed to a 2 inch penis extension

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah well I heard Tom Brady and the Patriots agreed to a 2 inch penis extension

Be careful with that, most Patriot fans would respond, he needed the extension for the several more rings he's going to win.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
This has to be the last one, right? Goodbye-money?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Tom could easily be the highest paid QB in the NFL. Props to him for taking a team friendly deal. I guess that's what makes him one of the best ever right? Barf

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Meanwhile...

Bob Kraft is forced to get his rub & tugs at a strip mall massage parlor from a 60 year old masseuse because of this whopping contract for Brady. Poor little Bobby... he just can't afford anything better.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Brady is toast, and this will be his last year. Father Time is undefeated. And GOOD RIDDANCE! It's just a shame that the Rams couldn't have sent him into retirement after the super bowl with a 52-3 clobbering and 4 interceptions!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Probably a retirement check for him, the rest of the NFL will cheer en masse once he's gone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This has to be the last one, right? Goodbye-money?

Yeah, well sorta-maybe. I read in another article this contract is likely redone next offseason again. I forget why, and should have added that article.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dy-set-to-be-fa-in-2020-despite-new-extension

Tom Brady set to be FA in 2020 despite new extension

Details about Tom Brady's new contract continue to emerge.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Brady's new deal, which bumped the New England Patriots quarterback's salary for 2019 to $23 million, includes two years that automatically void on the final day of the 2019 league year (March 17, 2020).

Teams often use voidable years on contracts for salary-cap purposes to spread out the hit. This is this first time the Patriots have utilized such a salary-cap mechanism, Rapoport added.

Rapoport also noted that Brady's new deal includes a provision that does not allow New England to franchise or transition tag him for the 2020 season.

This all means, that even if for only a brief moment in March of 2020, Tom Brady, the GOAT, will be a free agent -- unless he retires beforehand.

The new deal was made to give Brady an $8 million pay bump for this season and give the Patriotsmore cap flexibility in the short term.

"It's basically a compromise," Rapoport said. "What the Patriots wanted to do is a little raise this year, $8 million. They did not want to hamstring themselves for future years. What if, let's just say Brady decides to walk away if they win the Super Bowl? This way, they didn't hurt themselves cap-wise. But Brady wants to make sure they can't just lock him in with the franchise tag with no negotiations. Nobody wants to play on the tag, everyone wants something long-term. So it's basically a compromise that hurts both sides a little bit, but helps both sides a little bit and helped them come to this deal."

For his part, Brady said Monday that his new contract simply underscores that reality that every player in the NFL is on a year-to-year prospect.

"It's really the reality for most guys in the NFL, I don't want to think I'm any different than anyone else," Brady said. "Football is a tough business. It's a production business. I'm ready to go this year, and that's really what matters, and that's where my focus is. It's a unique situation I'm in -- 20th year with the same team and 42 years old. Pretty much unchartered territory for everybody and I'm going to go out there and be the best I can this year and see what happens."

While no one expects Brady to play anywhere but New England, if he decides to continue his career into age 43, he'll first be a free agent.

dang

Legend
The patriots are the best at working around the rules so I would like someone to provide definitive evidence of how they are supplanting Brady beyond his NFL salary. I feel pretty confident in saying Brady benefits directly from the Patriots beyond just his salary.

oldnotdead

Legend
Yawn, this is so dumb. The GOAT ain't gonna leave NE. Besides what team is going to pay him a boat load of money at his age? This is his way of making a money grab. IMO this means he is looking at one more score before he retires. Probably a 2 year deal at most. The Pats are in a bind. They don't have anyone behind him unless they can coach up Jarrett Stidham. Stidham has talent, and suffered from a bad oline and questionable coaching which caused him to lose confidence and his performance suffered last year. When you look at his flaws last year the vast majority are mechanics and decision making, both correctable by good coaching. He's solid potential starter in 2 maybe 3 years. I think that would be the Pat's time table with Brady.

Bottom line, is Brady signs a one year deal worth $$$$ and retires in 2021 and the Pats trot out Stidham. NE will pay Brady because he wasn't paid his value for most of his career giving the Pats the ability to keep a good team around him. Goff should look long and hard at that. I think his extension will be a fair deal for him and the team.

Once Brady is gone the Pats strangle hold on the AFCE will be over.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope he retires after he gets folded into a pretzel by Donald. Because let's be honest here: the Cheatriots are going to manage to get to the Super Bowl again. And we're going to kick their sorry asses when they get there.

oldnotdead

Legend
Tom is selling his Boston home. He's gearing up for retirement in a year maybe two. Wouldn't surprise me if he uses 2020 as his farewell tour. This is why he's voiding his contract after this year, looking for one last payday. I think NE has known this all along and why they took Stidham in the 4th round. They could draft another QB next year but IMO Belicheat likes to create his own. So unless he has his eye on someone in particular they might not. He's looking for a specific type of player and before his meltdown last year Stidham could have been that kind of player.