Tom Brady among 32 who just had their helmets banned

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...d-their-helmets-officially-banned-by-the-nfl/

Tom Brady among 32 players who just had their helmets officially banned by the NFL

If Tom Brady wants to play in the NFL in 2019, he's going to have find a new helmet to wear.

In a joint announcement on Friday, the NFL and NFLPA released a list of helmets that have been approved for play in 2019, and Brady's didn't make the cut. Of course, the announcement likely didn't come as any surprise to Brady, and that's because his helmet was actually one of 10 that was put on the banned list last year.

As a matter of safety, the 2018 season marked the first time the NFL started legislating which helmets could be worn on the field. Although Brady's helmet was banned, the Patriots quarterback and several other players were given a one-year grace period where they were allowed to wear their old helmet while they started the search for a new helmet. There are a total of 32 players, including Brady, who wore an illegal helmet last season and will have to make a switch for 2019.

Back in May, Brady kind of hinted that he probably wouldn't end up making a helmet change until he had to.

"I still wear a very old helmet, probably out of habit," Brady said, via ESPN.com. "You talk about behavioral changes are hard; I've tried new helmets and I'm like, 'Doesn't work, get that out of here!' You just have to get comfortable with it."

Brady actually tried to wear a new helmet last season, but he ended switching back to his beloved Riddell VSR-4 to finish out the year.

According to Jeff Miller, the NFL's executive vice president of health and safety initiatives, teams will be punished if any player is caught using a banned helmet.

"The prohibited helmets will not be allowed in the locker room," Miller said Friday, via the Washington Post. "A player will not be allowed on the field [wearing such a helmet]."

Although Brady will have to make a helmet switch, he'll have plenty of models to choose from, and that's because there are a total of 34 helmet models that have been approved by the NFL, including 11 that were added to the approval list just this year after undergoing extensive laboratory testing.

Once Brady starts practicing with the Patriots -- whenever that may be -- he'll have to switch over to a new helmet, but until then, it looks like he's going to continue to wear old faithful while doing workouts away from the team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fuck him.

Hopefully this will mean that his speaker gets cut off at 15 seconds like the rest of the league... but I won't hold my breath.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If its a safety thing, I am ok with Brady wearing his old helmet. Let him finish his career like Steve Young did, with his bell rung.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So they had a year to figure out how to hide the 2nd com system in the new helmet. Got it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
freak him.

Hopefully this will mean that his speaker gets cut off at 15 seconds like the rest of the league... but I won't hold my breath.
Or, like the speaker goes off for the first 15 seconds, and the rest of the play, during crucial times. You know, kinda like playing the Pats, or the Saints.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or, like the speaker goes off for the first 15 seconds, and the rest of the play, during crucial times. You know, kinda like playing the Pats, or the Saints.

Or right before the crucial play, a Bellicheat voice imitator comes on and starts talking about "partying" with Gisele, with realistic details.

dang

Legend
You mean the helmet that allowed him to listen to the opposing teams defensive coordinator play calling?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Brady will take a sack in a playoff game, and will tell the ref it was because the new safer helmet had too much padding and sits too high on his head so he could avoid the sackers arms by Ducking. The play will be nullified, Brady will get his old helmet back, and the Patriots will win because of the Duck rule.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Come on dude you're a moderator you can't put out political crap like that stop it
Lighten up. It's a joke and a common meme. But l'll take it down for your delicate sensibilities.