Todd Hewitt sues the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Re:

interference said:
jesus freaking christ, what the fuck has happened in this country. it's bad enough that the working man gets screwed by the monied class, but it gets pretty despicable when working men turn on each other as well.

There was a time in this country when spags/devaney would have risked getting their legs broken for pulling crap like that. Now, people cheer when another gets it up the ass.

I excuse Scotsman cause he's a POME and shouldn't know any better, but American's used to be outraged at this kinda behavior.

anyway, can't wait to read the depositions.

Interference, I normally respect your opinions, but I can't get behind this one.

Firstly, Hewitt was no working man. He had a dream job with a professional sports organization for forty years. Working man/woman would mean something more along the lines of ticket salesperson, vendor, or secretary. Hewitt had a job that only thirty-two men have at one time.

There was also a time where people didn't sue for meaningless reasons. There was also a time where employees didn't dump on the organization that fired them for more than two years. They moved on with their lives. And I get especially pissed when people like Hewitt throw a party when others get fired. He is the very definition of a hypocrite.

Also, he can't prove anything with his evidence. All Hewitt has is "I'm saying that he said this to me, but I don't have proof other than my word. But my word's good enough for people, right?" That is hearsay. Any judge with an ounce of common sense will throw this lawsuit out based on that alone.

And yes, I am outraged by Hewitt's behavior. He is an entitled, spoiled prat who I have absolutely no sympathy for. He should be thankful that he had his job for as long as he did; there are people who are struggling to pay bills and get jobs. He has been milking the media for a very long time, and now he's decided to sue because he's as bitter and holds grudges like a bratty teenaged girl would.

I cannot get behind someone like that. I would rather side with the monied class than someone like Hewitt.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The key word in all this is entitlement. Hewitt had been with the Rams so many years--and through so many HCs--that he thought the job belonged to him. One might even imagine that he didn't respect many of the Rams HCs because he'd seen so many of them come and go.

So Spags had some new rules. Why would they apply to Hewitt?

I remember a job I had where my original boss was promoted up and a new guy was brought in. This guy had a different way of managing me and my area and we clashed. Who had to change? Me. If Hewitt couldn't adapt to Spags' way and lost his job because of it, that's on him.

As for being fired, that's quite a bit different when you're talking about contracts, and I believe Selassie is right that they (including Kroenke, Demoff and Spags) chose not to renew poor Todd. And if this is the case, he doesn't have one.

Granted, I had some sympathy for him when it first happened, but he's long since worn that out with his whiny behavior.
Selassie I said:
Hewitt is the second biggest embarrassment for the Rams next to Spags in my book.
I beg to differ. Linehan was a monumental disgrace compared to Spags.

steferfootball

Starter
Hewitt...smh.

Move on with your life.

If I had to place a bet, I'd say the Rams lay down the hammer hard with evidence he was a lousy employee and this doesn't get far.

And if he wasn't technically fired (not renewed contract), why are we even talking about this?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
steferfootball said:
Hewitt...smh.

Move on with your life.

If I had to place a bet, I'd say the Rams lay down the hammer hard with evidence he was a lousy employee and this doesn't get far.

And if he wasn't technically fired (not renewed contract), why are we even talking about this?
You see, Hewitt thought the job was his as long as he wanted it. That he could be let go never entered his mind.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It's just fine to differ Quixote.

My opinion is based on more than just the records...

Linehan 3yrs - .306 win %

Spags 3yrs - .208 win %

The insecurity cloud that hovered over Spags,,, ended up enveloping the entire organization. Scotty was just a dumb ass.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agree with Selassie, but both were an embarassment. As far as Interferences statements, I have to disagree. That logic smacks of unionesque entitlement (there's that word again). "I have a job, therefore I deserve to keep it". No sir. That kind of thinking is what breeds lazy, overpaid crybabies (sorry, but I worked for 10 years as Verizon Management and had to deal with the union BS every 3 years), and ultimately kills an organization of any kind.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Selassie I said:

Spags 3yrs - .208 win %

The insecurity cloud that hovered over Spags,,, ended up enveloping the entire organization. Scotty was just a dumb ass.
I don't see how Linehan was less insecure than Spags. As you say, Linny was a dumb ass, and what's more insecure than a man trying to convince himself he's smart enough?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:

Spags 3yrs - .208 win %

Records, winning percentage, it's all the same.

I've gone off at length over the reasons why Spagnuolo failed here, and I subjected you guys to really long tirades, thesis statements, and essays over it. You know where I stand/stood on this. Well, now it's your turn. Gloves off. Anything you want to say about Spagnuolo/Devaney is fair game. I won't say a word about it. You deserve to vent, and I suspect some of you REALLY wanna vent too. Call him whatever you want, say whatever you want, set him up and burn him down in effigy, whatever you wanna do. You were respectful enough to not ridicule my opinions, and I'll return the favor right now.

Anonymous

X said:
Selassie I said:

Spags 3yrs - .208 win %

Records, winning percentage, it's all the same.

I've gone off at length over the reasons why Spagnuolo failed here, and I subjected you guys to really long tirades, thesis statements, and essays over it. You know where I stand/stood on this. Well, now it's your turn. Gloves off. Anything you want to say about Spagnuolo/Devaney is fair game. I won't say a word about it. You deserve to vent, and I suspect some of you REALLY wanna vent too. Call him whatever you want, say whatever you want, set him up and burn him down in effigy, whatever you wanna do. You were respectful enough to not ridicule my opinions, and I'll return the favor right now.

Well, I will vent. Look at the record in both Linehan's case and Spags's case is shallow and says nothing. You need to look beyond records at causes.

Linehan inherited a still decent team that had some decent parts and he stayed in "win now" mode, adding on instead of rebuilding. He had a series of injury broken teams. In the process, he also lost the team, feuded with coaches, and made decisions even guys like Jackson would publically question.

Spags stripped down the Rams and started over. His first season was a direct reflection of that. No one wins under those circumstances. In his 2nd season the Rams improved by 6 games with a rookie qb and many parts still missing. 2011 was entirely due to injuries.

And this is my vent. Anyone who overlooks the 2011 injuries is simply not saying anything of value. And there is only one conclusion to be drawn from that situation. They suffered multiple injuries at a number of key positions, and no one wins under those circumstances. And no no one else has gone through THAT and won. That is the only conclusion to be drawn, and if it is not drawn, then it is simply ignored.

Citing "the record" means nothing if you don't have an analysis that holds up. If you do not draw the only possible conclusion from that injury situation, then, all I see is you ignoring that conclusion...and that's it.

I won't harp on this, or keep posting it, or push the point, or get into a death match, or even say it again.

But I've heard it all by now and I will never think anything different. :cool:

MEANWHILE I like Fisher and everything he's done so far.

superfan24

Starter
Spags left the Rams with a solid foundation for the future and never embarrassed the Rams the way Linehan did despite the losing. Linehan left the Rams in shambles for Spags/BD to clean up.
Who can be pissed about the core on defense that Spags developed and a franchise QB on offense with our team right now? Never will hear me ripping on Spags who was always a class act. Linehan on the other hand....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Nobody here is going to change anybody else's mind on this subject ,,, and I'm certainly not going down that road of futility.

I enjoy reading all thoughts on anything Rams.

My opinion of Spags is certainly no secret ,,, I just don't think it's healthy to dwell on negativity. No venting needed here,,, I got that out of my system during the last 3 years while watching the games (just ask my neighbours). I said a few things here, but I generally tried to keep my disgust to myself.

I really have a hard time looking at any pictures of Spags standing on our sidelines... I must admit ,,, but I am so ready to try and forget those times.

Looking forward to the future of our team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Looking forward to the future of our team.
Well said. There are still some Spagnuolo debates floating around out there on the interwebs, but I kinda just avoid those too. It's over, we sucked, what happened happened, and now it's time to embrace a new era. That said, if Fisher runs into a buzzsaw of injuries and people try to run him down as a result of his record, I'll absolutely go to bat for him too.

:bat:

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
zn said:
Well, I will vent. Look at the record in both Linehan's case and Spags's case is shallow and says nothing. You need to look beyond records at causes.
Linehan inherited a still decent team that had some decent parts and he stayed in "win now" mode, adding on instead of rebuilding. He had a series of injury broken teams. In the process, he also lost the team, feuded with coaches, and made decisions even guys like Jackson would publically question.

Spags stripped down the Rams and started over. His first season was a direct reflection of that. No one wins under those circumstances. In his 2nd season the Rams improved by 6 games with a rookie qb and many parts still missing. 2011 was entirely due to injuries.

And this is my vent. Anyone who overlooks the 2011 injuries is simply not saying anything of value. And there is only one conclusion to be drawn from that situation. They suffered multiple injuries at a number of key positions, and no one wins under those circumstances. And no no one else has gone through THAT and won. That is the only conclusion to be drawn, and if it is not drawn, then it is simply ignored.
Citing "the record" means nothing if you don't have an analysis that holds up. If you do not draw the only possible conclusion from that injury situation, then, all I see is you ignoring that conclusion...and that's it.

I won't harp on this, or keep posting it, or push the point, or get into a death match, or even say it again.

But I've heard it all by now and I will never think anything different. :cool:

MEANWHILE I like Fisher and everything he's done so far.

I like this rant, however you can not look ONLY at the injury situation, or your case is JUST as shallow and says nada surf. :)

Spags had all the bad game/clock management as Martz without the special playcalling ability. Do you wonder at all why the Saints chose Joe Vitt (Remember him??) as their interim coach instead of Spags? Seriously, I am just asking because I have wondered myself. I can only assume it is due to his extremely short tenure with the team.

Oh, and I think our boy Belicheat did ok in 2008 without his all world QB and some other key pieces missing didn't he? It CAN be done, it is just the exception.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure they chose Vitt because of his tenure with the team, his familiarity with the offense, his relationship with the FO, and his experience with Payton. Plus, it was pointed out by the N.O. media that Spags has enough on his plate trying to install a whole new defense without having to worry about dealing with the offense and all the other minutiae that goes with head coaching a team.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
I'm sure they chose Vitt because of his tenure with the team, his familiarity with the offense, his relationship with the FO, and his experience with Payton. Plus, it was pointed out by the N.O. media that Spags has enough on his plate trying to install a whole new defense without having to worry about dealing with the offense and all the other minutiae that goes with head coaching a team.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense, and is exactly why I figured he was not even in the running. That, and the fact that Joe Vitt is clearly an experienced "interim" coach in this league. :bign: :rofl:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just remember how everyone was so stoked that Spags became coach. I was in my dorm listening to the conference call w/ all the season ticket holders. All of them had good things to say.

Then JT and the other PD vultures got butthurt over limited access to practices, and then the picture thing. I think Spags took so much shit since day one than Linny ever did. Of course the added losses didn't help. Except in 2010, when no one gave a damn about pictures or equipment managers and instead talking about playoffs.

steferfootball

Starter
I'd say Spags game/clock management was better than Martz. Remember all the times we'd burn 2 timeouts in the third quarter? I also liked Spag's special playcalling ability better. When Martz's playcalling worked, it worked really well. When it didn't, the QB had a concussion. OTOH, spags runs a complex defense that doesn't have a single point of failure.

But bygones are bygones. :(

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:
You know, I hope Todd wins this law suit, or at least comes out of it with a favorable settlement. He and his dad were fixtures on the sidelines of the Colesium and later, in Anaheim and then St Louis. It's a damn shame that a temporary regime can come-in and derail careers like this. The guy obviously performed his job well enough for ...

George Allen
Tommy Prothro
Chuck Knox
Ray Malavasi
John Robinson
Chuck Knox
Rich Brooks
Dick Vermeil
Mike Martz
Joe Vitt
Scott Linehan
Jim Haslett

Glad you got Knox in there twice. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw you were listing the coaches. :sly:

Lesson

Oh, really?
Has an equipment manager ever received more press than Hewitt?

Also, Hewitt celebrated Spags' firing with a few others. Screw that.