Todd Gurley, Le'Veon Bell among NFL's most explosive running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Set your DVRs for Sunday 9am EDT......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-bell-among-nfls-most-explosive-running-backs

Rams rookie running back Todd Gurley is already making an impact in the NFL. NFL Media analyst -- and former Rams star and Hall of Famer -- Marshall Faulk has the exclusive interview. "Who is Todd Gurley?" will debut this Sunday on "NFL Gameday Morning" at 9 a.m. ET on NFL Network.

On Sunday against Cleveland, Todd Gurley became the first rookie to rush for 125-plus yards in each of his first three NFL starts since Cadillac Williams did it in 2005. In other words, the St. Louis Rams back, whose career was slightly delayed as he recovered from last November's ACL tear, has wasted no time since cracking the starting lineup in Week 4.

Gurley also has racked up six runs of 20-plus yards, and he has three of 40-plus (which is tied for the most in the NFL). But he's obviously not the only back banging out big plays. Pittsburgh's Le'Veon Bell -- who has three 100-yard games this season -- leads the league with eight runs of 20-plus yards, while Minnesota's Adrian Peterson -- who had a breakout 75-yard run in the Vikings' win over Detroit on Sunday -- has matched Gurley with three runs of 40-plus yards. And don't forget about Atlanta's Devonta Freeman, the league's leading rusher after seven weeks.

After watching monstrous gain after monstrous gain, who is the most explosive running back in the league through Week 7?

Todd Gurley gets stronger as the game goes on
Right now, it's Todd Gurley. No one is hotter than him, and he's only going to get better as he gets healthier. I also like the way he's running in the fourth quarter, because he's getting stronger as the game goes on. You've got to be in tremendous shape to put up some of your best runs in the fourth quarter. As a running back, you want to be getting stronger late in the game.

Le'Veon Bell can make magic out of nothing
Le'Veon Bell, but it's not that he's just explosive. He's explosive on all three downs. He has the ability to take simple plays and make them big gains, and that's a commonality for him.

Gurley's repertoire is impressive this early in his career
I'm going to have to say Todd Gurley. I love Le'Veon Bell, and Lamar Miller is doing well, but Gurley, with his size (6-foot-1, 227 pounds) and speed, is hard to beat. He's changed the Rams' franchise this year.

Every so often, you get a talent that can be really good in the right system, and that is what's happening in St. Louis. I don't think Gurley will hit a wall, because he didn't play the first two weeks and only had six carries in Week 3, which means he'll be playing about the same amount of games that one would in college. I just think his speed, vision, football IQ and determination to get things going are all things that are hard to teach. Those things set him apart right now from a lot of other players.

Bell has explosiveness and versatility
Le'Veon Bell -- and it's not even close. But it's not just his rare combination of power, speed and elusiveness once the ball is in his hands -- it's how the ball gets there in the first place. He can run out of any formation (I, single-back, shotgun, etc.) with any personnel package (four-wide, two-tight, two-back, etc.). He can line up as a receiver, and if not for the name and number on his back, you'd think you were actually watching a wideout run the route and catch the pass. Outside of a quarterback, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me there's a better player to build your franchise around than Le'Veon Bell.

Adrian Peterson keeps running circles around defenses
Adrian Peterson is, without a doubt, the most explosive running back in the league. He had two runs against theLions that no one else in the league could put together. On his first impressive run of the day, in the first quarter, he made about three jaw-dropping moves. Most people can't do one move, let alone three in the same play.

A few other guys who are right up there with Peterson are Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles, who shouldn't be left out of the conversation, though he will, of course, miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL.

For his size, Devonta Freeman is surprisingly explosive and versatile
Devonta Freeman came out of nowhere, and he's just dynamite in the run game and the pass game. Now, Atlanta didn't play all that great on Sunday, but Freeman has really caught my eye this year. Here's this little guy (5-8, 206 pounds) out of Florida State, and he wasn't even starting in Week 1. He runs bigger than he is. He's physical, tough and finishes runs.

We expected Adrian Peterson to be good, and we expected Matt Forte and other good guys to get a lot of scrimmage yards, but Freeman is better than I expected.

Gurley is proving he was worth the draft investment
I know Todd Gurley has only played in a few games, but you want to talk about explosion? There's a reason why he was drafted 10th overall by the Rams after coming off an ACL injury. He's not running like a rookie. He can go sideline to sideline, but when he decides to put either foot in the ground and head north, he does it better than any back in the league. He's just getting started, and I'm excited to see what he does the rest of the season.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
Wondering when we see Tre Mason get a few snaps 1-5? Mason seems like hes been hurt all season. Like to see some production out of him.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'm waiting for when the Gurley / Tavon running threats to start opening things up in the passing game. Play action. Misdirection. With the Ss creeping up into the box to stop the run, you can gash a defense with a slant and have it go the distance. Or if they keep the Ss back, and you hold the LBs with play action, you get all kinds of room for your underneath routes. Gurley (and the threat of Gurley) should be making the rest of the offense much better.

Athos

Legend
Wondering when we see Tre Mason get a few snaps 1-5? Mason seems like hes been hurt all season. Like to see some production out of him.

No real reason to rush him if he isn't healed, especially the way our o-line is blocking. Get him 100%, and then I'd like to see Mason and Bailey steal reps from Cook in the slot. Put 3 "Backs" on the field at the same time in Gurley, Mason, and Austin.

Hit them with a bit of BamBam for wheel routes. Heck, the way our WRs seem to play, play all the backs at the same time.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm waiting for when the Gurley / Tavon running threats to start opening things up in the passing game. Play action. Misdirection. With the Ss creeping up into the box to stop the run, you can gash a defense with a slant and have it go the distance. Or if they keep the Ss back, and you hold the LBs with play action, you get all kinds of room for your underneath routes. Gurley (and the threat of Gurley) should be making the rest of the offense much better.

I want to see Watts too. If he can show well, we might be able to deal Mason for a pick. I like what we are doing, and need to keep spreading the talent around through the draft.

We just gotta figure our free agency. Keep signing more guys like Reynolds to modest contracts, and resign our own impact players. Our roster is taking shape.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I want to see Watts too. If he can show well, we might be able to deal Mason for a pick.

Man, if they dealt Mason for a crappy pick (e.g. 6th rounder), that'd just burn me. We coulda gotten Gabe Jackson or Trai Turner with that pick.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
You would think Marshall Faulk would be more bias towards TGII, a Rams running back, but instead chose Le'Veon Bell :thinking:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Uhh Marshall Marshall Marshall, You are an Ex Ram! Cmon with the Bell crap. Quit trying so hard to be unbiased

WvuIN02

Starter
Why is it he is biased? Of the two running backs, Bell is more of a clone of Faulk than Gurley...so it's not hard to see why he thinks like he does. Gurley is more of a power runner while Bell is far more of a three down back. Different backs, but both great backs. Bell had 83 receptions and 864 receiving yards last year which is completely insane for a running back on top of rushing for almost 5 yards a carry and 1,361 yards. Gurley looks to be more of a clone of Adrian Peterson, who can put up bigger numbers on the ground with power and some home run ability. Bell often lines up out wide and has moves and runs routes like a wide receiver.

Both are complete studs with great vision. Great example of what I mean with Bell below. Without a doubt I think the two best backs in the league now. Sorry AP, your time is over.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Don't know why we can't get Gurley to motion out of the backfield and line up as a receiver. Bell had 83 receptions and 850+ receiving yards - but there's no reason Gurley can't do similar in addition to his running.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I must say over the past 3 weeks it hasn't even been close, Gurley has been better than Bell in every way. Here are the stats from the last 3 games:

Bell: 62 carries, 320 yards, 5.16 YPC, 107 yards per game, 1 TD, 8 receptions, 32 yards

Gurley: 68 carries, 433 yards, 6.37 YPC, 144 yards per game, 2 TD, 6 receptions, 50 yards.

Let's also compare how each of them did against the Cardinals. Just a reminder that this was Gurley's first start back from ACL surgery and he was obviously wearing the knee brace. He also pulled up on two runs to kill the clock:

Bell: 24 carries, 88 yards, 3.7 YPC, 0 TD, 0 receptions.

Gurley: 19 carries, 146 yards, 7.7 YPC, 0 TD (could've easily had 1), 2 receptions, 15 yards.

Gurley has been head and shoulders above everyone else lately.

WvuIN02

Starter
Head and shoulders? Sorry not true, and that's not taking away anything that Gurley has done either.

You can't look at stats in a void...especially one game because that's silly...keep in mind Pittsburgh is on their 3rd string QB vs the Rams with their starter. Landry Jones scares no one but Steeler fans. Bell made a great run to beat SD at the buzzer.

They are the only two averaging over 100 yards per game and are both going to probably have hall of fame careers if they dont get hurt horribly. Gotta see how the season plays out, but both should be in the pro bowl for their conference.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not offended that Marshall didn't pick Gurley as his best back..I think Gurley is the best, but then I am a homer fan! Just to be considered in the top 5 backs in the leaguie after 3 starts is freakin insane....