Todd Gurley and the Georgia Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
O.K lets start with I am a fan of TG30 and think he looks every bit the part of an NFL breakout RB.
Here is the Caveat:
It looks like the women's freshman crochet team reserves can go for 7.0 + yards a pop in that Georgia Offense

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just Highlights @DenverRam strange to see a college game called due to weather, Then I looked up Chubb's Stats and Highlights and he has outperformed Gurley. It's probably meaningless but still interesting.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Storm Johnson seemed to outperform Latavius Murray at USF and folks wanted to diminish Murray because Storm Johnson seemed to improve over what Murray did.

And...

Storm Johnson got released by the Jags...

And Latavius Murray is about to have a breakout year with the Raiders. Murray is so strong that they walked away from McFadden and all of the vets in their RB stable and set him up as their feature back.

In this analogy... Gurley = Murray and Chubb = Johnson.

Anyone watch HOW Gurley runs and you'll see that on so many of his runs, he made something out of nothing and he actually made that GA OL look better than it was. Notice that early on, we didn't see OL from there slamming the draft. Not like Wisconsin OL. Not that Gordon isn't going to be a solid back, but he ran through holes so big, they qualified as handicapped spaces...

So, for me? I'm ecstatic about Gurley because his game MAD transfers to the NFL. Period. He gets small, he trucks people, he cuts, he accelerates, he stiff arms, he runs routes, he's a natural pass catcher and he sets up his blocks (when he gets them).

Is Chubb doing ALL of that? Even as a rookie, there's a reason people started looking at Gurley as a potential top pick and a reason Fisher doesn't want to mess this up.

Gurley has the potential to be another AP. Maybe even BETTER because Gurley is FASTER. As in dood runs a legit sub 4.4.

And a young AP with our D and a play action QB like Foles means we're set up to not just win, but dominate for YEARS.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Mackeyser I agree with your observations, having watched all the highlights many games and read any legitimate info I can get. TG30 sure seems to be the real deal and certainly passes the eye test in that he is physically about what one would design if you were to build a RB.
I made the thread just for fun and to expose the way the Georgia RB's any of them are gaining yards at an extraordinary clip.
The one thing I am not sure about and don't believe will affect him is I see a guy that looks like he runs in the low 4-mid 4 40 range, I don't know if shocked would be the correct term but more like very pleasantly surprised if he eclipsed the 4.4 40 mark. Either way he has me the most excited about a Ram rookie RB since ED29.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just Highlights @DenverRam strange to see a college game called due to weather, Then I looked up Chubb's Stats and Highlights and he has outperformed Gurley. It's probably meaningless but still interesting.

Nick Chubb is a monster.

There was this guy that came out of Oklahoma State back in the day. His backup came in the next year and blew his numbers away. That guy was Thurman Thomas. His backup was Barry Sanders.

Gurley was great. Chubb is also great. When it's all said and done, both will be first round picks.(Gurley obviously already was)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Storm Johnson seemed to outperform Latavius Murray at USF and folks wanted to diminish Murray because Storm Johnson seemed to improve over what Murray did.

And...

Storm Johnson got released by the Jags...

And Latavius Murray is about to have a breakout year with the Raiders. Murray is so strong that they walked away from McFadden and all of the vets in their RB stable and set him up as their feature back.

In this analogy... Gurley = Murray and Chubb = Johnson.

Anyone watch HOW Gurley runs and you'll see that on so many of his runs, he made something out of nothing and he actually made that GA OL look better than it was. Notice that early on, we didn't see OL from there slamming the draft. Not like Wisconsin OL. Not that Gordon isn't going to be a solid back, but he ran through holes so big, they qualified as handicapped spaces...

So, for me? I'm ecstatic about Gurley because his game MAD transfers to the NFL. Period. He gets small, he trucks people, he cuts, he accelerates, he stiff arms, he runs routes, he's a natural pass catcher and he sets up his blocks (when he gets them).

Is Chubb doing ALL of that? Even as a rookie, there's a reason people started looking at Gurley as a potential top pick and a reason Fisher doesn't want to mess this up.

Gurley has the potential to be another AP. Maybe even BETTER because Gurley is FASTER. As in dood runs a legit sub 4.4.

And a young AP with our D and a play action QB like Foles means we're set up to not just win, but dominate for YEARS.

I have to disagree with that. Gurley is fast...but he's not Adrian Peterson fast.(at least young Adrian Peterson)

He's faster than young SJ, though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nick Chubb is a monster.

There was this guy that came out of Oklahoma State back in the day. His backup came in the next year and blew his numbers away. That guy was Thurman Thomas. His backup was Barry Sanders.

Gurley was great. Chubb is also great. When it's all said and done, both will be first round picks.(Gurley obviously already was)
OK. 2 questions for you. Player comp for Gurley? Tough one for me, but... he looks like a combo of Sayers, and Foster, except he's bigger than both, and faster than Foster. I think he and Peterson are close in speed, BTW, from goal line to goal line.

And #2, did you see Josh Rosen today?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK. 2 questions for you. Player comp for Gurley? Tough one for me, but... he looks like a combo of Sayers, and Foster, except he's bigger than both, and faster than Foster.I think he and Peterson are close in speed, BTW, from goal line to goal line.

And #2, did you see Josh Rosen today?

My player comp for Gurley is Edgerrin James. Gurley runs with a little more violence but James had a little more wiggle. Similar measurables, similar versatility, and both were amazing college players. Edge is a bit underrated because prior to that bad knee injury, he looked like a HOFer. He came back strong...but not as strong.

I did not. I heard he was absolutely amazing. I did enjoy watching my Gators today. McElwain has done a hell of a job coaching up the UF QBs. Will Grier looks like a keeper and a guy to watch for the future.(he's only a RS Frosh)

I am hoping we'll have a few QBs really stand out over the next few years to replace Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. when they leave the game. If Kaaya comes out strong, it seems like him and Rosen could be two big names a few years down the line. Hoping Grier can join that club too.

I also love Jared Goff...but I'm digressing haha.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
My player comp for Gurley is Edgerrin James. Gurley runs with a little more violence but James had a little more wiggle. Similar measurables, similar versatility, and both were amazing college players. Edge is a bit underrated because prior to that bad knee injury, he looked like a HOFer. He came back strong...but not as strong.

I did not. I heard he was absolutely amazing. I did enjoy watching my Gators today. McElwain has done a hell of a job coaching up the UF QBs. Will Grier looks like a keeper and a guy to watch for the future.(he's only a RS Frosh)

I am hoping we'll have a few QBs really stand out over the next few years to replace Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. when they leave the game. If Kaaya comes out strong, it seems like him and Rosen could be two big names a few years down the line. Hoping Grier can join that club too.

I also love Jared Goff...but I'm digressing haha.
I remember Edge in his prime, not bad. I think Gurley is smoother, but speed, and power, plus size, are close.

I know he's a true freshman, dude, don't sleep on Rosen. Surprising arm, like plus arm, can make all the throws, and his pocket manipulation is uncanny. Only played 3 quarters, gaudy numbers, but also had a 60 -70 yarder in perfect stride dropped. Had another TD dropped.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember Edge in his prime, not bad. I think Gurley is smoother, but speed, and power, plus size, are close.

I know he's a true freshman, dude, don't sleep on Rosen. Surprising arm, like plus arm, can make all the throws, and his pocket manipulation is uncanny.

I saw one of his throws today on a seam route for a TD...was beautiful. I'll keep an eye out for him. That's one thing I love about Goff...he looks so comfortable sliding in the pocket. I have to see that in QB prospects.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Quick someone tell the Falcons to cut Julio Jones, any WR can put up decent numbers in the Alabama offence, just look at Amari Cooper.

Could it maybe be that a high school recruit sees a team with a really good player at his position, with a really good position coach and thinks "I might go and play my college football there"? Thus resulting in 2 good players at that school at that position?

Last edited:

DawgFather

UDFA
As a Georgia fan, you dont understand the talent we have at the RB position. Chubb and Michel both have a chance to be first round draft picks. Georgia has the best RBs in the country. They have 3 5star Rbs on their roster. The #3 RB would start for 90% of schools out there. So yeah their #3 RB is an elite talent.

FRO

Legend
Nick Chubb is a monster.

Barry Switzer told his players to make sure they didn't injure Thurman Thomas because he would rather face him than Sanders. Crazy that they had two hall of fame players at the same position.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Gurley has the potential to be another AP. Maybe even BETTER because Gurley is FASTER. As in dood runs a legit sub 4.4
Loved everything you said Mac but this...AP was really fast in his prime...In fact, if you were to line them up, even today, I'd suspect AP would put that refuse to lose effort and beat most people...

I have to disagree with that. Gurley is fast...but he's not Adrian Peterson fast.(at least young Adrian Peterson)
Just trying to school Mac too....LOL...Rosen is the real deal...So is Goff.

My player comp for Gurley is Edgerrin James. Gurley runs with a little more violence but James had a little more wiggle.
When Edge burst on the scene, he played a UCLA team headed for either a Nat. Championship or the Rose Bowl....We could NOT STOP him...He continually broke the 1st and many times the 2nd tackle....He is the reason I judge college runners on this TODAY. Break a lot of tackles, versus top team, your probably an NFL quality back

As a Georgia fan, you dont understand the talent we have at the RB position.
Man, I have liked Bulldog runners for the last few years....I liked Isiah Crowell cause he started as a Freshman at Georgia...He's solid too....Don't know where they find them, or what their "trick" is in recruiting:shades:..But you are so right...What, do they let 4 cheerleaders pick up RB recruits and lock them in dorm rooms? Tickle them til they commit? :heh::sneaky::mustache:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a Georgia fan, you dont understand the talent we have at the RB position. Chubb and Michel both have a chance to be first round draft picks. Georgia has the best RBs in the country. They have 3 5star Rbs on their roster. The #3 RB would start for 90% of schools out there. So yeah their #3 RB is an elite talent.

Chubb is an easy bet to be a first round pick, but Michel is a stretch, in my honest opinion. With the running back position being as devalued as it is and other positions being solid...I just don't see it for a backup running back.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
When Edge burst on the scene, he played a UCLA team headed for either a Nat. Championship or the Rose Bowl....We could NOT STOP him...He continually broke the 1st and many times the 2nd tackle....He is the reason I judge college runners on this TODAY. Break a lot of tackles, versus top team, your probably an NFL quality back
I remember this well Coach Toledo and The oh so close Bruins.

I love both Rosen and Goff and yes Chubb is a stud also. Finally some people chime in. I started this thread because I wanted to point out what looks like a RB rich Georgia era with a system to support it. The comparisons are what they always are which is that they are all individuals in different situations and as different as they are similar. Comparisons help you assimilate, I have never liked the A.P comparison for Gurley to me the greatest comparison is that Gurley is the next back after A.P that looks the part of an all pro and more coming out.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Quick someone tell the Falcons to cut Julio Jones, any WR can put up decent numbers in the Alabama offence, just look at Amari Cooper.
Wrong approach, take them both. Of course successful recruits at a position attract other hi profile recruits at that same position. As a USC fan I saw it year after year with RB,s and then QB's and with QB's where 1 of them would play and another 5 star would sit and hopefully get his turn.