TNF: Chiefs at Broncos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Thursday Night Football: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Denver Broncos

It's a quick turnaround for both the Kansas City Chiefs and Denver Broncos, as they play in an intriguing game to kick off Week 7 of the NFL season on "Thursday Night Football." These two teams played twice in the span of a month last year with Kansas City taking both matchups. The one in Denver was a Monday night affair in which the Chiefs scored twice in the last 6:30 to win 27-23. The Chiefs also won at home later on, 30-23, as Patrick Mahomes threw for 303 yards and four touchdowns.

Kansas City's season started out with a 4-0 record with three of those wins coming on the road in Jacksonville, Oakland, and Detroit. The offense was cruising, scoring 28 points or more in all of the victories. The team then hit some adversity in a 19-13 loss to the Colts at home and followed that up with a 31-24 defeat at the hands of the Texans, also at home. The Chiefs even got wide receiver Tyreek Hill back last week, but it wasn't enough as the defense struggled to get stops.

The Broncos' year started out with four straight losses, although three of those came by single digits. One could argue they were hosed out of a victory in Week 2 when a horrible roughing the passer penalty gave the Bears new life on their final drive. In Week 4, they were Gardner Minshew'd out of a victory as well. Since then, Denver has reeled off wins at the Chargers and at home against the Titans. No one can blame the defense for the 2-4 record, as the unit is seventh in the league at 17.7 points per game allowed.

Kansas City at Denver

Kickoff: Thursday, Oct. 17 at 8:20 p.m. ET
TV: FOX/NFL Network
Spread: Kansas City -3.5

Three Things to Watch

1. Intangibles

As always, there are some angles to consider to this matchup, especially with it being on a short week. Kansas City is playing its fourth road game of the season after a stretch of three of four at home. They have to travel, which will wreak a little havoc on their planning schedule, and, of course, they have to deal with the altitude. There's also the matter of a two-game losing streak the Chiefs really want to put a stop to. On the other side, Denver is playing a second straight game at home, which always is a big help when playing on a Thursday. The Broncos have a road game against the Colts lined up in Week 8, but this is a divisional contest against one of their biggest rivals, so neither focus nor motivation should be an issue.

2. Need more offense

Denver's offense has been pretty anemic so far this year. They've scored 20 points or fewer in all but one contest when they put up 24 on Jacksonville. Joe Flacco's numbers aren't great in the box score, but he's completed almost 67 percent of his passes with six touchdowns to five interceptions. The signal-caller is still a bit of a statue in the pocket, as he's been sacked 15 times. It'll be interesting to watch Emmanuel Sanders' status for this one — he left Sunday's game against the Titans with a knee injury — as he's their second-leading receiver with 307 yards and two touchdowns. The hope is he will play, but if he can't, that places more pressure on Courtland Sutton, who may finally be coming into his own. It's the run game that's been big for the home team. Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman have combined for nearly five yards per carry with three touchdowns. This team can't get into a shootout so they will have to get into a ball-control contest.

3. Can KC become two-dimensional?

There's no doubting how good Mahomes is as a quarterback, but the best teams in the league find some sort of balance and are able to run the ball. KC had just 11 rushes to 36 passing attempts in their loss to the Texans last week. LeSean McCoy had eight of those carries for 44 yards and that's not good enough. If you go back over the whole season, this team has 203 passing attempts to just 112 rushes. The run game has had some success, but it's really hard to rely on McCoy, who is past his prime, as well as Damien and Darrel Williams (no relation). Denver entered Sunday's game allowing just over 126 rushing yards per contest, so the opportunities are there. They were fifth against the pass and padded that total a bit against the awful Tennessee passing attack.

Final Analysis

The world is doubting the Chiefs right now after these last two losses and rightfully so. There may be a lot of people betting on the Broncos as home underdogs, thinking they can extend their streak. Remember, last year they probably should have beaten Kansas City at home, but they let it go late. I think Patrick Mahomes has a very good game and the Chiefs make just enough stops. I just don't think Joe Flacco is good enough for a game like this.

Prediction: Chiefs 24, Broncos 16

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Funny as a youngster (really young 5 & 6) I liked the Chiefs because of the Red Pants at the time they were the only team that donned different color pants on the road and I liked their Head Coach Hank Stram and the crest.

Anyway now rooting for Vic Fangio, good guy, hell of a defensive coach, that finally got a shot to be a Head Coach, so go Broncos!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
yeah, one of my best friends is a die hard Bronco fan (as much or more than I'm a Rams fan, if that gives one any indication)... we watch the draft together on the phone and talk, send links and stuff back and forth...

so yeah, I'm totally rooting for Denver.

Psycho_X

Legend
I always liked that play with the FB and TE both going out in flat with QB having choice. Would like to see McVay use that against the 6-1 even though we don’t have a fb but can figure something out.

Chiefs defense looking their old self these last three weeks.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The guy I'm going against in fantasy has Manny Sanders. He benched him, hope he blows up haha.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ugh, hate that two point play. Anywhere except up the gut with Lindsay. But I like going for it. Just bad playcall.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I have the Chiefs moneyline, so they just need to win the game here. And the missed extra point puts them up by 1 already.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like an offensive game. 7-6 Chiefs. Little early to go for two but, as @Psycho_X said anything other than straight up the gut. Like the formation under center with jet sweep open.

Q729

Legend
Holy shit. #15 is out. Knee got jacked. No worries. Matt Moore will save the day.

Angry Ram

For the first time I witnessed the moment twitter blew up.

Yeesh. Other teams have injuries, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man on Mahomes. Hope hes okay.

Didn't look good.

Ram65

Legend
Goff isn't the only QB with no time to throw. Weird game. Missed Denver FG was big combined with the no extra point makes it 4 points they need.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Chiefs are my other team since im from MO. They are also the defense on my fantasy team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My brother is a Broncos fan. I really hope that they win; he'll be impossible to talk to if they don't.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Too real.

Sucks for Mahomes, I hope it isn't too serious and he can come back at 100%. I hate that the AFC is so weak, damn near guarantees an AFC championship for the effin' Pats again.
Depending on how serious it turns out to be my rooting interests in the AFC will switch to the Texans. Some body in that conference has seriously got to step it up

Angry Ram

Depending on how serious it turns out to be my rooting interests in the AFC will switch to the Texans. Some body in that conference has seriously got to step it up

Welcome to the club!!!! Was really bored in the AFC all by myself.