TJ McDonald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Stud! I never saw him being there and my Dad went crazy happy once he was selected.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Being a USC fan I will say this...

Stewart and McDonald in the backfield...someone might die.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have a legit boner for this draft.

Joeluke9

Rookie
Can someone give me a brief rundown of this dude's strengths and weaknesses? I've never heard much about him. I saw earlier that he is a guy another poster was against us getting. Thanks!

jap

Legend
Joeluke9 said:
Can someone give me a brief rundown of this dude's strengths and weaknesses? I've never heard much about him. I saw earlier that he is a guy another poster was against us getting. Thanks!

See <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-mcdonald?id=2539309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539309</a>

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joeluke9 said:

Overview

McDonald has spent his football life trying to live up to the name his father made for himself as an All-American safety at USC in the mid-1980s and 13-year NFL veteran who won a Super Bowl as a member of the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. T.J. (stands for Tim, Jr.) has never shied away from that pressure, however, earning his own accolades over the past couple of seasons. McDonald’s brother, Tevin, is a true sophomore safety who enrolled at crosstown rival UCLA instead of following his dad and brother as Trojans.

The high school All-American (Tim, Sr. was his head coach at Edison High in Fresno) didn’t get a chance to star because of the team’s deep secondary his true freshman year, but he did play in every game as a reserve and on special teams. The departure of Taylor Mays, however, gave McDonald a chance to fill the leadership and production void as a sophomore. League coaches named him second-team All-Pac-10 in 2010 after he led USC with 89 tackles while also posting three interceptions and four pass breakups. McDonald missed the team’s season finale against UCLA with a right shoulder injury. Multiple media outlets named McDonald to their All-American teams after he started 11 of 12 games in his junior year, missing the first half of the Colorado game for a big hit against to “defenseless” Stanford receiver Chris Owusu the previous week. The 2011 first-team all-conference pick had 67 tackles and three interceptions on the year, and his second career blocked punt helped the team beat Oregon in Eugene. McDonald and the Trojans entered the season with National Championship expectations, but stumbled to a six-loss season with the defense playing particularly bad football down the stretch. McDonald moved into more of a hybrid linebacker/safety role for USC, setting a career high in tackles (112) and tackles for loss (6.5). He also recorded a sack, deflected five passes, and nabbed two interceptions on his way to second-team All-Conference honors.
Analysis
Strengths
NFL bloodlines with pro size and length who has played deep and in the box. Hits like a missile in the middle of the field, uses his shoulder to bring real power into the back or midsection of receivers with closing speed and tenacity. Solid ball skills, looks high and wide passes into his hands and can get down to get his hands under low throws. Physical presence around the line, sticks his head into short-yardage plays and uses his length to stay off lineman blocks and to wrap up running backs in traffic and receivers in the flat. Attacks the alley aggressively when coming downhill from two-high coverages. Does a good job fighting through blocks and making tackles on screens. Tries to lay the kill shot on wide receivers over the middle, but generally a good form tackler against running backs. Height and size come in handy on jump ball situations. Will be a factor on special teams, both using his length on the kick block team and as a strong tackler on coverage units.
Weaknesses
Will be pegged as a pure in-the-box safety. Protected in coverage by being used extensively as a Robber his senior season. Linear, high-cut player who is tall in his back pedals. Displays stiff hips, average change-of-direction ability and burst. His height and average short-area quickness become an issue when trying to break down quickly to make tackles in space, can be eluded in the open field by quicker receivers and running backs. Also lacks flexibility to turn-and-run with better receivers and tight ends. Does not have the range to get to the sideline, even sometimes to the hash, in single-high looks. Stares into the backfield, gets frozen and fooled by play action, loses receivers behind him, and takes time to recover after a false step.
NFL Comparison
Bernard Pollard
Bottom Line
The son of NFL Pro Bowl safety Tim McDonald and brother of UCLA safety Tevin earned All-American recognition for his big hits and hands in coverage (six interceptions in 2010-2011). However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

iced

40 seconds into the video and I'm thinking "man he's going to be a penalty machine." (look at those helmet to helmets)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
40 seconds into the video and I'm thinking "man he's going to be a penalty machine." (look at those helmet to helmets)
Yeah, he likes to hit high, but that's coachable, he does get low when taking on bigger guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My main question is who is going to play free deep safety?

This final comment by NFL <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-mcdonald?id=2539309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539309</a> is this.....However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

With Darian Stewart as the Rams Only bonified vet starter who is NO Free deep safety standing there just under 5-11 @ 215 to 220 & Matt Daniels who is 6-0 211 pounder himself is also a in the box safety....??????

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:

This final comment by NFL <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/t.j.-mcdonald?id=2539309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539309</a> is this.....However, his lack of agility and instincts could limit his ability to be a reliable starting contributor in a league that is becoming more wide-open. He will probably be best served as a sub-package defender who plays near the line of scrimmage.

With Darian Stewart as the Rams Only bonified vet starter who is NO Free deep safety standing there just under 5-11 @ 215 to 220 & Matt Daniels who is 6-0 211 pounder himself is also a in the box safety....??????
He's a free, no worries. We will coach him up.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
BonifayRam said:

Rodney Mcleod is my guess. Rams weakness right now is over the top. For sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It'll be hard for opposing QBs to hit anyone deep, since they'll be on their collective asses after about 2.5 seconds anyway.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Dude said:
It'll be hard for opposing QBs to hit anyone deep, since they'll be on their collective asses after about 2.5 seconds anyway.
Was thinking the same thing. Langford says they are going after the sack record this year.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The Dude said:
lol

Sounds like a fucking good kid though. Love this interview.

[nfl]0ap2000000145265[/nfl]