Time to Produce: S Rodney McLeod/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Time to produce: S Rodney McLeod
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9665/time-to-produce-s-rodney-mcleod

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As the St. Louis Rams prepare to enter their third training camp under coach Jeff Fisher and staff, much will hinge on the ability of the team's many young players to turn potential into production. In this final week before camp officially begins, we take a look at some players who must take the next step either to preserve their jobs, help the team reach its first winning record since 2003 or, to the team's preference, both.

We continue this week-long series with safety Rodney McLeod.

What he's done: McLeod has enjoyed a strong rise from undrafted free agent to special teams stalwart to starting free safety in just two seasons. His production has probably already exceeded the investment the Rams have put in him. But if McLeod is to hold down his spot in the defense into the future, he's going to need to take another step forward in 2014. In fairness to McLeod, he was forced into a starting role last season and played almost every down between safety and working as the team's nickel corner. By the end of the season, McLeod's first year contributing to the defense, he finished with 79 tackles, two interceptions, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. That came in addition to a continued key role on special teams.

Why he must do more: In his two seasons in St. Louis, McLeod has proved he belongs in the league, but it's still unclear how prominent his role should be moving forward. If nothing else, he's probably already done enough to stick around as a special teams ace and provide solid depth on the back end, but he'd obviously prefer to continue to develop as a starting defender. Clearly, the Rams are willing to give him that chance but not without some competition. The Rams drafted safeties Maurice Alexander and Christian Bryant in the spring and return other young players such as Matt Daniels and Cody Davis at the position. The Rams need better coverage from all of their players on the back end, but McLeod's spot is probably the most tenuous, at least in terms of starting.

Where he fits: By all accounts from the spring, it appears McLeod will again get the first crack at starting alongside T.J. McDonald at safety. Alexander didn't do much of anything as he recovered from injury, but the Rams did use a fourth-round pick on him and coach Jeff Fisher has expressed excitement about Alexander's future. While Alexander profiles similar to McDonald, there's a belief that the pair could play together in Gregg Williams' defense. It's unlikely Alexander will be able to surpass McLeod in the short window of training camp, but McLeod will have to produce over the course of the season to continue in that role.

Alan

Legend
I'm just happy he won't be (probably) playing in one of the CB roles. At least I hope that's the case. I think the lack of a permanent position for him last year set back his development. Hopefully he can recover from that this year.

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm just not a big fan of his. If he makes the team I hope it's as a special teamer/jack of all trades DB. For me, if he is starting we have some issues. Sounds like a great guy and plays his butt off but he just isn't starting NFL caliber Safety material IMO.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
This guy is the stickler for me and I feel he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism from Ram fans. For what he is and what he's produced he hasn't been bad at all, especially considering the fact he played in Walton's shitty system and out of position. Fan light him up because he's not a all pro safety...." he does this, he does that.." man give the dude a chance.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm just not a big fan of his. If he makes the team I hope it's as a special teamer/jack of all trades DB. For me, if he is starting we have some issues. Sounds like a great guy and plays his butt off but he just isn't starting NFL caliber Safety material IMO.

Couldn't agree more....

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Don't be surprised if Williams starts Lamarcus Joyner at free safety on first down and ten situations.

FRO

Legend
I am a fan of his. Will he be a top flight starter? Probably not. He got better as the season went on though. I think he can be a great rotation DB and special teams guy. Good guy to have on the team.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
He's a ram so i hope he does well but if he happens to get cut it wouldnt make me feel some type of way

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am really looking forward to watching the Safeties shake out. I really have to wonder if Matt the Hat will be healthy and if Cody can step up. Cody's speed is astounding and he seems to be a sure tackler - though not a big hitter or play maker. That to me would say - perpetual 2nd stringer - but I dunno. Seems odd he has never been used as a gunner with that speed and sure tackling. Maybe he can't change direction fast enough at this level? Matt has that big impact hitting but can't seem to ever be healthy enough to play or practice. I feel great about McD. I think he's the real deal. Fun times ahead Rams bros.