Tim Barnes got big!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
temp160614_018_Rams_OTA--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

I was just looking through the other days practice photos and this one stood out to me. Barnes looks like a beast! I know Ive read he's been hitting the weight room hard this offseason because he got pushed back into the pocket way to much last year. I'm really starting to get excited about the potential and depth of this Oline this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I was just looking through the other days practice photos and this one stood out to me. Barnes looks like a beast! I know Ive read he's been hitting the weight room hard this offseason because he got pushed back into the pocket way to much last year. I'm really starting to get excited about the potential and depth of this Oline this year.
He did seem to be playing better, and better as the season went along last year. Maybe he's a man on a mission this year!!;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Barnes really impressed me last season as he did seem to improve as the season progressed and since he came to the Rams as an UDFA, has grown leaps and bounds with his strength. Also as I keep posting no snaps went awry with Barnes last season something the Scott Wells seemed to do in what seemed like every other game.

fearsomefour

Legend
Strength is one thing.
Technique, hand position, leverage is another.
Hopefully he puts it all together.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I wonder why Robinsons, Browns, Barnes & Battle's jersey's are all soaked with perspiration & Saffold's jersey is dry?

Robinson seems to be a bigger human being this season than Saffold too. Can we still call Rodger Saffold Beetlejuice any longer?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Strength is one thing.
Technique, hand position, leverage is another.
Hopefully he puts it all together.

I don't think Technique was the problem last year he just got overpowered and pushed backed by bigger stronger Dlineman if he bulked up enough to take care of that problem we're gonna have one hell of a center on our hands.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I thought he's always had a pretty good upper body, but really lacked leg strength. If you look at him last year he had bird legs compared to his upper body. Hard to tell in that picture if he got bigger through his hips and thighs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think Technique was the problem last year he just got overpowered and pushed backed by bigger stronger Dlineman if he bulked up enough to take care of that problem we're gonna have one hell of a center on our hands.

I had the opinion that the biggest issues that Barnes had in his first season as our starting center....was trying to getting the rookies & first yr players attention in trying to ensure the right line calls were made & that they were clear on what was their assignment. The fact that 4 rookies all of whom played next to Barnes i.e. Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal & Cody Wichmann along with 1st season OL'er Rhaney were involved in many starts amongst Barnes. Barnes also had a rookie finish 15 games @ ORT (Havenstein/Donnal).

Barnes probable preferred to have his posterior handed to him from time to time in place of trying to get those line calls to the brains of that large cadre of rookie Ol'ers.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I had the opinion that the biggest issues that Barnes had in his first season as our starting center....was trying to getting the rookies & first yr players attention in trying to ensure the right line calls were made & that they were clear on what was their assignment. The fact that 4 rookies all of whom played next to Barnes i.e. Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal & Cody Wichmann along with 1st season OL'er Rhaney were involved in many starts amongst Barnes. Barnes also had a rookie finish 15 games @ ORT (Havenstein/Donnal).

Barnes probable preferred to have his posterior handed to him from time to time in place of trying to get those line calls to the brains of that large cadre of rookie Ol'ers.

Nailed It!!:yay:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Agree.
At the BYE last season Barnes graded next to last of the 39 graded Centers, ... following the final game of the year, he had moved up to 29 out of the 39. Many of us observed and commented on his better play towards the end of the season. He was always better in pass pro than run D, and his admitting to and going out during the off-season to work on his deficiencies points towards his desire to improve where most necessary. While everyone needs to work on technique regularly, Barnes' issues did appear more related to strength, and he was fairly consistently being pushed off the line, especially as a run defender. I was a big critic of the Rams prior to the 2015 season due to the perceived weakness at Center, both Foles and Keenum paid a high price for his and our other OL inexperience. Ultimately, this and our many health issues hurt the offense, and we didn't have quality QB play or the receivers to make up for the sorry state we were in. OK, 2015 is now behind us, and not only has Barnes seemingly gotten bigger and stronger, but the young OL as a whole is healthier and one year more experienced and developed. Like Barnes, GRob also improved over that final third of the season, these two NEED to continue that growth for the Rams to succeed. We've brought in new receiver depth and the # 1 rated QB from the draft. Still, first year QB's and later round receivers don't always shine right out of the gate. If the Rams are going to advance as a potential play-off team this year, it will once again be up to our defense to carry the team, and the young vets on offense must take a big step up, and this includes players like Barnes, GRob, Reynolds, Saffold, Austin, Britt, Quick & Kendricks. jmo.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope you are right!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not going to underestimate Barnes any more; glad I was wrong about him. Hope he is in for a big season!

Ram65

Legend
He got better as the season went on. Hope he continues to improve this year.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
So if he started hitting the weight room this off season what was he doing the last couple years? This guy has always been working out and trying to get bigger and stronger since he came into the league. If you read some of Coach's post about Barnes he had put in a lot of work to become a better player. He deserves to start all he needed was playing time to get better.