Thursday night games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thursday night games; good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Bad

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hate Thursday night football. It's too much exposure for the game... and hard on the players.

I agree with Boldin. Goodell talks outside of both sides of his mouth regarding player safety. Because... Thursday night is not a player safety move.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24103072/report-jerry-jones-says-nfl-thinking-about-thursday-doubleheaders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... bleheaders</a>

Earlier this week, 49ers wide receiver Anquan Boldin had this to say about the Thursday night games.

"I mean if [the NFL is] so concerned about player safety, then why do you have every team in the league playing on Thursday night when they just competed on a Sunday, knowing how difficult it is for guys to get back to being healthy after playing on Sunday?"

The easy answer: Expanding the brand, exposure and, ultimately, money.

And the league has no intentions of doing away with the Thursday night schedule. In fact, there was a Wall Street Journal report Tuesday that said the league was exploring the possibility of adding more Thursday night games, a claim the NFL promptly denied.

On Friday, Sports Business Daily reiterated the Journal report, this time citing Cowboys owner Jerry Jones as the source.

And once again, the league denied it.

In the video above, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora explains what's likely going on behind the scenes.

"What I really think is that this is a means to an end towards incentivizing Thursday night football even more," La Canfora said Thursday night. "And by that I mean, it's eventually not going to be on the NFL Network. By floating trial balloons like this -- I don't think the Wall Street Journal just made this up -- you see where it goes, you quickly squash it.

"But the larger reality is they're going to continue to build this to a point where they don't feel like they have to give it away. And, frankly, the NFL doesn't have to give anything away.

"So yeah, for now, to get on Time Warner Cable, [the league] put 13 Thursday games on NFL Network," he continued. "Within a year or two, I strongly believe it'll go back to six or seven games after Thanksgiving on NFL Network, and [the NFL] will try to sell off that other package of six or seven to Turner, to NBC, to [CBS], to whomever, and pocket another $750 million. ... And that's one way to get the salary cap up. Because as you guys know, the salary cap hasn't really moved since 2009, and this new TV money from the existing contracts probably won't start kicking in until 2015."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Logistically it's stupid.

As a football fan, how can anyone dislike it?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Agree with X and Selassie. I know it sucks for the players, but i like having an extra day of football

A55VA6

Legend
I love it. We get football during the week. They get paid millions of dollars. So prepare the best they can and go play.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I really hate it. I think it's only to make money.

Yes, I think we should have Thursday NFL. On Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving only

Otherwise it's just an excuse to put another prime time game up there in order to generate revenue. Teams don't have enough time to prepare and the games end up being sloppy.

Remember when being on Monday Night Football was special? Now with three prime time games it doesn't feel very great does it?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
brokeu91 said:

Otherwise it's just an excuse to put another prime time game up there in order to generate revenue. Teams don't have enough time to prepare and the games end up being sloppy.

Remember when being on Monday Night Football was special? Now with three prime time games it doesn't feel very great does it?

It is an excuse to generate more revenue but as a fan I love it. It helps satisfy my desire for more football, and it provides a venue for more teams to gain national exposure.

In terms of sloppiness, I have to disagree. Teams have less time to prepare and recover for a game, but that does not necessarily mean the execution will be better if they have a few more days. You can point out sloppy games every Sunday - we were sloppy vs Atlanta and Dallas.

To me, Primetime games still feel as great. If you would rather wait a full week to watch football, go ahead and don't watch the Thursday game, but don't propose that it should be taken away from those that do. (I'm not talking to you personally, just throwing it out there)

RamzFanz

Damnit
I like Thursday night because it gives me my fix BUT I would rather have Friday night and Saturday afternoon so I could watch or record them and watch them late or in the morning.

What sucks about Thursday is it's too short for the teams and too long between when I get to see the next game.

If I can't get Friday and Saturday, I would rather have Thursday than nothing. At least you get to see games where you wouldn't before when they were all Sunday.

My biggest wish is for all NFL games available all the time. No way I spend $300 for a season of football. It's a ripoff that will end one day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hate all night games. I have too much trouble staying awake. I have to caffeinated myself beforehand and try to get a nap in that day just to stay up. Usually the next morning I regret doing so.

You Midwesterners have it so nice. When I lived in Chicago I loved Monday night football and baseball games. one hour earlier made a huge difference for me. The games were over earlier and I had no trouble staying awake or getting up in the morning.

iced

RamsOfCastamere said:
brokeu91 said:

It is an excuse to generate more revenue but as a fan I love it. It helps satisfy my desire for more football, and it provides a venue for more teams to gain national exposure.

In terms of sloppiness, I have to disagree. Teams have less time to prepare and recover for a game, but that does not necessarily mean the execution will be better if they have a few more days. You can point out sloppy games every Sunday - we were sloppy vs Atlanta and Dallas.

To me, Primetime games still feel as great. If you would rather wait a full week to watch football, go ahead and don't watch the Thursday game, but don't propose that it should be taken away from those that do. (I'm not talking to you personally, just throwing it out there)

oh yea i think it's great for satisfying - bounce, bounce, bounce, bouncebouncebounceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I don't like Thursday night games.

Not because it's hard on the players or anything tho. I don't like it because the NFL network isn't on basic cable. I hate having to go to the bar to see the game. I'm usually at the bar thursday anyway, but it's impossible to actually watch the game in a busy bar environment. I want to be able to watch some Thursday games at home and dont want to pay for extended cable

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:

Not because it's hard on the players or anything tho. I don't like it because the NFL network isn't on basic cable. I hate having to go to the bar to see the game. I'm usually at the bar thursday anyway, but it's impossible to actually watch the game in a busy bar environment. I want to be able to watch some Thursday games at home and dont want to pay for extended cable
Where you been, homie?

…..

Legend
I dont like the Thursday games from the standpoint that I think the visiting team is at a much bigger advantage. I dont have the W-L stats of the travelling team to support that, its just my feeling.

I also dont like it being locked up on NFL Network. Its one thing for all of us to realize that its a revenue grab, and thats fine, but then you put the game on a subscription basis and that to me reeks of NFL Empire greed.

Its not like the NFL is hurting for creative ways to make money!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Luvem but they need to be after a teams bye week so none till week 3
IMO if they expand the schedule the also need two byes

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
libertadrocks said:

Where you been, homie?

Crazy busy man

Lurk around every once and a while. Just feel to behind to post often :whuu:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty close vote.

If you haven't voted... DO IT!