Throwback Attack: Jim Everett

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems unfortunate that you had such a great career and you have that incident and the ‘Phantom Sack’ incident come up right away when you search for your name online. It doesn’t seem fair. Do you feel that way as well?

Well, let’s mention the ‘Phantom Sack.’ It was the last game of the season for us, it’s the championship game, and we’re down 30-3 with like four minutes left to go. Frankly, my contract’s up. And Ernie [Zampese] is like ‘OK, two-minute offense.’ And I look at him and I go, ‘Really? We’re going to score 27 points in the final four minutes – I mean, c’mon.’ Frankly, I’ve got to say, I’ve never been a quitter, but I’ve already had seven sacks for the day and I wasn’t going to have eight, nine and 10. So, let’s put things in perspective. Were we going to make 27 points up in that amount of time? No. Was it the most brutal thing a quarterback has done? No. Phil Simms has done it a million times. Peyton Manning’s ducked it when there’s not a play there. And frankly every receiver was covered and there was nowhere to go with the ball. I’m not saying the ‘Phantom Sack’ because John Madden likes to blow things out, but trust me, that was way blown out of proportion; however, I did 100% take the dive. We were in a game that was pretty much over. That’s the way I look at it. And the Jim Rome thing, it’s funny. I threw a couple hundred touchdowns but I’m remembered for throwing a table and going after one reporter. It’s almost like Bobby Knight – how many games did he win in his college career? But we’re going to remember him for throwing a chair and down-talking a kid once? C’mon. I have more respect for the game and the whole deal, but it is funny how we like to remember specific events and things. That’s just the nature of the beast. I’m all good with it.

------------

Good stuff.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Too bad Everett didn't do permanent damage to rome's vocal cords.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
Preach.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Two things:

1) Part of a long list of successful Purdue Boilermaker QB's....

Drew Brees 1997-2000 32nd Pick by the San Diego Chargers
Jim Everett 1981-85 3rd Pick by the Houston Oilers
Gary Danielson 1970-72 Went Undrafted
Mike Phipps 1967-69 3rd Pick by the Cleveland Browns
Bob Griese 1964-66 4th Pick by the Miami Dolphins
Len Dawson 1954-56 5th Pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers

2) The Jim Rome "incident" was staged. If you slow down the video you'll catch Everett smiling as stuff starts flying.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Selassie I said:

Testify!!

Frankly, I think Jim Everette used the word "frankly" too much....if I am being totally frank with you.

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
Two things:

1) Part of a long list of successful Purdue Boilermaker QB's....

Drew Brees 1997-2000 32nd Pick by the San Diego Chargers
Jim Everett 1981-85 3rd Pick by the Houston Oilers
Gary Danielson 1970-72 Went Undrafted
Mike Phipps 1967-69 3rd Pick by the Cleveland Browns
Bob Griese 1964-66 4th Pick by the Miami Dolphins
Len Dawson 1954-56 5th Pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers

2) The Jim Rome "incident" was staged. If you slow down the video you'll catch Everett smiling as stuff starts flying.

Check out the fairly new ESPN book. There's a chapter on that incident in there.