Three Teams Most Likely to Sign Cam Newton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Three Teams Most Likely to Sign Cam Newton

After claims to the contrary at the combine, an attempt at media spin, and a nearly incomprehensible Instagram comment, the Carolina Panthers are finally releasing Cam Newton. The writing was plastered all over the wall after the organization signed Teddy Bridgewater and sent out their good-bye tweets to the former face of the franchise.

Newton's talent has always been undeniable, but the past few seasons have been concerning enough that teams won't be lining up to bring him in. He played two games last season after suffering a Linsfranc injury in the preseason (a massive red flag for a scrambling quarterback like Newton) and a partially torn rotator cuff suffered in 2016 that cut his 2018 season short. The 2017 season was the last time Newton looked like Newton, and he threw for 3,302 yards and 22 touchdowns with 16 interceptions while running for 754 yards and six touchdowns in an 11-5 campaign. His ceiling is high, but so is his risk of injury, making him quite the boom-or-bust signing for any potential suitor. Here are three teams who seem most likely to kick the tires on the 2015 MVP.

New England Patriots

The Patriots are tightly pressed against the salary cap and are reportedly fine with their current QB room of Brian Hoyer, Jarrett Stidham, and Cody Kessler, per Albert Breer. But if Newton is looking for a one-year "prove it" deal on the cheaper side, Bill Belichick surely wouldn't ignore his phone call. It will be a defining year for Belichick and the franchise as a whole, and bringing in a presumably healthy Newton is the only surefire way to guarantee they'll be in championship contention, unless Stidham is secretly a first-round pick in a fourth-rounder's body. Newton's dual-threat ability would give the Patriots' offense enough variance to put up big points some weeks. After bringing back most of their defensive starters from last year's elite unit, they don't need him to be MVP Cam, they just need him to be VP Cam. Belichick has never seen a risk he isn't willing to take, and if the money is right, Newton is another he'd strongly consider.

Los Angeles Chargers

Despite the plethora of starting-caliber quarterbacks available this offseason, the Chargers did nothing to offset the departure of Philip Rivers. They seem content to roll into next season with Tyrod Taylor as the starter, perhaps with a top-10 quarterback selection behind him after April's draft. Now that Newton is available and the competition is significantly lessened after teams like the Bears and the Colts already reinforced their quarterback rooms, he makes a lot of sense for Los Angeles. He's a better version of Taylor, the type of QB Anthony Lynn reportedly prefers, and is enough of a big name that he could help draw fans to the new stadium the franchise plans to debut this season. Regardless of the team's plans for the NFL Draft, Newton is an exciting player who could keep them competitive for a year until the young buck is ready. But Newton is only 30 and could also still have some good years ahead of him if he works out better than expected.

Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders are looking to make a splash in 2020 to celebrate their move to Vegas. They already signed Marcus Mariota to a pretty substantial deal for a backup quarterback and still have Derek Carr under contract for the next three seasons. But if Newton is willing to come aboard for cheap and they can find a taker for Carr (both realistic scenarios from where we currently sit), Jon Gruden wouldn't turn down the chance to work with a talent like Newton. He's a big enough name to get Vegas fans even more excited for their new franchise and he'd be an upgrade over Carr. The Raiders aren't a quarterback away from contending, but Newton's value off the field and the improvement he'd bring at quarterback make this a natural fit.

AlphaRam

Rookie
Patriots and Chargers I can see, Raiders no chance. How much money would they have tied up in that quarterback room?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Signing Cam Nueter is the equivalent of setting up a sideshow in your team's locker room.

If you're looking for the ultimate distraction to add into your team... he's your guy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What would also make sense would be for the Raiders to send Carr to New England and then sign Cam
If the money could work out

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Would love to see him go to the Raiders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've never been a fan of Cam. I could see the Chargers signing him though since nobody else is stupid enough to.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Cam gets the most stupid criticism I have seen in my life. Hopefully he starts with a new team.

I agree, its like in the movie where the hitter at bat blasts one out of the park and the fan yells, "Too High!"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The best thing Cam can do at this point IMO is
1. Take his release like a man ala Todd Gurley.
2. Continue working hard to get his body right
3. Endear himself in the media and lose the Superman ego so he can get another job and contract.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Anyone who doesn't admit that Cam has been a sideshow since his college playing days is purposely pretending.

I mean to start with... getting kicked off the gators is damn near impossible to do. But he did it... He did however prove his super human arm strength by throwing laptop computers that he stole for a country mile out of his dorm room window just before they booted his ass. That's the gators again btw... think about it. I think they booted him for being THAT stupid.

Then he manages to sell his services (without any knowledge of course) to the highest bidder once he was eligible. Auburn paid the most... but Neuter had no idea about this. LOL. What a fucking joke.

He got into the NFL and continued to prove his unbelievable athleticism. He even got his team into the Superbowl. At the most pivotal point in the game... he recoiled away from his fumble. That's right - he didn't even try to hide the fact that he wasn't gonna even try to recover his fumble. The Broncos got the ball on the 4 yard line and won the fucking game.

His immaturity on and off the field is well known by everyone. It's super easy to find if you truly haven't noticed. LOL

This child has only ever cared about himself from the get go. He ain't changing now... and he never will.

You want to hear it from his own mouth? Just listen to the 1st minute of this incredible production....

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Signing Cam Nueter is the equivalent of setting up a sideshow in your team's locker room.

If you're looking for the ultimate distraction to add into your team... he's your guy.
So your saying the Patriots are out? dang...thought that might be fun for those fans (I mean me)

I have a feeling the Raiders are out too, simply based on that QB room, but could you imagine emotional Newton dealing with Gruden? I can't

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His best landing spot right now IMO would be as Ravens' backup QB. Because Greg Roman is the best at simplifying things for dumbshit QBs who can't read a defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Newton is way better than Carr, but Carr fits in to what Belichick does much more than Cam. He's much more suited to a short, timing base passing offense that relies on accuracy.
Gruden isnt exactly running the option either but has show a little more flexibility when he had agile over the hill guys like Gannon, I could see him running an RPO for Mariota or Cam