Three NFL teams that should panic after Week 9 losses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-teams-that-should-panic-after-week-9-losses

Every Monday morning, we try to avoid overreacting to what we witnessed the day before. But some losses truly do matter more than others. Some losses should inspire panic.

The Cowboys, Falcons and Dolphins are three teams that experienced devastating losses in Week 9 that will be difficult to overcome. The Cowboys' loss is the most painful. They have been competitive in nearly every game without Tony Romo, yet they come up with a creative new way to lose each week. They are now two losses behind the Giants and the Eagles in the NFC East, and are 1-4 at home. Their road-heavy schedule moving forward includes games in Green Bay and Buffalo, and a home game against the Panthers.

Romo can't solve everything. He is expected to return for a Week 11 game in Miami, but the Cowboyshave dug a hole too large to escape. The defense had the chance to carry this team. Instead it has been mediocre. It's almost as if Karma has bitten this team.

The Falcons' situation isn't nearly as dire, but they should panic after losing their third game out of four in San Francisco on Sunday. The team plays energetic team defense, yet they don't have a real pass rush. That's how you lose to Blaine Gabbert. That's how you miss the playoffs. The Falcons' passing game isn't better than it was a year ago, and the 49ers managed to stopDevonta Freeman cold. There is no shame in the Falcons being 6-3. They were always a mid-level team that rode a number of tight wins to a 5-0 start. Now they are losing those close games, especially when Dan Quinn starts coaching the end of games like Mike Smith. The NFC South is out of reach. There is reason to believe the Falcons will eventually be passed by an NFC West team in the wild-card race.

Miami is theoretically only one loss back in the AFC wild-card race. So the Dolphins can convince themselves they are relevant, just like they did for the early honeymoon phase of the Dan Campbell era. In reality, they are 0-4 in the AFC East. The average score of those games: 34-13. Miami's run defense looked incredibly soft in Buffalo and the offense struggled to finish drives. For the Cowboys,Falcons and Dolphins, this isn't about panicking after one bad week. It was a continuation of a trend.

Those are three teams that should panic. But not every team that suffered a setback Sunday should be depressed.

Not time to panic

1. The Raiders lost the battle in Pittsburgh, but the war for the AFC wild-card race is just starting. Derek Carr leads one of the most explosive offenses in football; scoring 35 points against a friskySteelers defense was impressive. The Raiders almost won on a day where they lost Latavius Murray to a concussion and Amari Cooper had some rare missteps. The team's secondary is its huge weakness, but they don't play an explosive passing game again until Week 15 when Green Bay comes to the Black Hole.

2. Dion Lewis will not be easy to replace in New England. James White and Brandon Bolden are huge steps down on passing downs for the Patriots. With all that said, the Patriots' offense remains built around Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman. ThePatriots can't afford to suffer many more injuries, especially on the offensive line. But they have shown a rare ability to overcome injuries in the past, and this should be no different.

Before we say goodbye, let's remember that Lewis was having an epic season. PFF's Sam Monson points out that Lewis forced 43 missed tackles from just 85 touches. He was averaging 3.3 yards after contact per play, which is a crazy number.

3. The Packers were not competitive for six quarters against Denver and Carolina before their second-half rally Sunday. Two of the team's strengths -- scoring defense and offensive line -- have struggled. We've seen these dips from the Packers before. Whether it's early in the season or not, Mike McCarthy's Packers usually have some sort of in-season lull. They are still 6-2 and we'll be a lot more concerned if they lose in Minnesota in two weeks. The schedule sets up favorably with four straight division games, including two against the Lions. This team and quarterback are too smart not to figure things out.

4. The Broncos' defense has been so consistently excellent that we're willing to give them a pass for aweak performance against a wounded Colts team. The Broncos should win almost every game in which they score 24 points. They just can't lose many more games in the AFC or they risk missing out on a bye.

5. Sunday's loss in Minnesota will leave a mark for the Rams because it was an opportunity lost. But this NFC wild card is just getting started. The leaders, Atlanta and Minnesota, both have issues. TheVikings' schedule is very difficult moving forward after a soft start to the season. They still aren't consistent offensively. There could be room for the Rams and Seahawks to rally and put three NFC West teams in the playoffs.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
You thought they had the Rams as panic, didn't you? o_O
LOL, yeah, I'm used to national media having no clue about the Rams, their schedule, toughness, etc.
Makes me want to gag to think that the Seasquawks could make the playoffs this year.... :sick:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I thought they'd have them in a panic not because of the loss, but the steaming offensive turd they laid in that loss.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
5. Sunday's loss in Minnesota will leave a mark for the Rams because it was an opportunity lost. But this NFC wild card is just getting started. The leaders, Atlanta and Minnesota, both have issues. TheVikings' schedule is very difficult moving forward after a soft start to the season. They still aren't consistent offensively. There could be room for the Rams and Seahawks to rally and put three NFC West teams in the playoffs.
Very wishful thinking......But there is a chance, heh? OK @RamzFanz tell me how this happens?

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very wishful thinking......But there is a chance, heh? OK @RamzFanz tell me how this happens?

I didn't author the article.

I believe the current thoughts are that the Falcons and Vikings, the only NFC teams with more wins than the Rams or Hawks that aren't leading their division, are likely to fall in the standings going forward against harder schedules. I would guess the author sees that the Rams, Cards, and Hawks have the potential to all have 10+wins with their current schedules.

But these are just my guesses.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Forgive me for this but I STILL really want to know something I'll never be able to find out......What kind of FOOT injury did Tim McDonald have that would Keep him OUT for that game against AP, where his play at not his best would have STILL been enough for us to win? Yet we know only one day after the vikes:poop: that McDonald will be playing against the Bears. Forgive me I'm pissed we knew nothing about what foot injury . When why and how and all those type questions and MOST important why he could not have taken a shot to play the vikes game and then REST for the Bears game?

McDonald is the team leader for our back 5 . They play off of him if you are really in tune with this bunch we currently chear for. I feel like I wanted that vikes game more than most. That was our Playoffs game. Why was Donnal not replaced earlier in that game Coach Paul. We had ALL seen enough already. It was not gonna get any better. Why could we not see if Wichmann could move Linval Joseph back with his size? The kid will probably be starting for us next season as we will probably be saying goodbye to Saffold and his big paydays.

Some will ask if I'm challenging McDonalds MANHOOD . I would like the unknown information about what kind of FOOT injury and how its all better as soon as that GIANT Game is over we know he will be playing this week. McDonald as I already said TILTS THE SCALES ENOUGH to WIN that game up north. Mo Alexander took himself out of plays just not knowing tendencies and not having the smarts of Tim McDonald and the hits Mo Alexander made in the 9ers game 6 plays were all invisible. (3 tackles 1 qb hit in 6 plays) invisible in minnesota. Mr "ALL GAS NO BREAKS" owes me NADA . This will haunt me forever how a kid known for his SS Missile hits would have wanted a shot at AP like NO OTHER RB in the league. What % was he? I'm still really in shock ANYTHING could make him miss THAT GAME.

Does anyone anywhere have any information to help ease my pain ,as I don't drink? Need an insider BAD. That one guy changes that games outcome. Yet we don't deserve an away Playoff game with our embarrassing 3rd down percentage and scared to throw at wide open recievers qb. Will Welker be enough to get Nick to pull the trigger over the middle? Sherman nor Cigs have been able too. What the HELL is going on? :icare:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I didn't author the article.
But these are just my guesses
Don't sidestep the fucking question..... LOL, naw really.... I know the Vikes play real teams from here on out...but so do we....I don't think Chicago is gonna be easier than Minnisota...In fact, with all this tape on the offense, it's gonna be harder to score...John Fox is an excellent game coach...His team will be prepared...The Seahawks are SB runner-ups....they know how to play play-off style football, which is what it'll take to get in the tourney....Rams...meh, 2 wins vs tomato cans and then another stinker vs some competition....Falcons just need to right the ship...Love their offense...Eagles (yea, the damn Eagles), Giants, and Cowboys (yea, I added them too) can all battle....and all of those teams can score points when other areas fail....You still have to score to win....And we have serious scoring issues..Hell, we have a 3 & out virus that we can't shake...If we don't watch out, Tampa will catch up and put their bid in for the post-season....Vikes are in the drivers seat....even if we catch them, that loss will still bite us in the ass in December/January...

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't sidestep the freaking question..... LOL, naw really.... I know the Vikes play real teams from here on out...but so do we....I don't think Chicago is gonna be easier than Minnisota...In fact, with all this tape on the offense, it's gonna be harder to score...John Fox is an excellent game coach...His team will be prepared...The Seahawks are SB runner-ups....they know how to play play-off style football, which is what it'll take to get in the tourney....Rams...meh, 2 wins vs tomato cans and then another stinker vs some competition....Falcons just need to right the ship...Love their offense...Eagles (yea, the damn Eagles), Giants, and Cowboys (yea, I added them too) can all battle....and all of those teams can score points when other areas fail....You still have to score to win....And we have serious scoring issues..Hell, we have a 3 & out virus that we can't shake...If we don't watch out, Tampa will catch up and put their bid in for the post-season....Vikes are in the drivers seat....even if we catch them, that loss will still bite us in the ass in December/January...

I think if our D and Havenstein are back and with some help from Welker (hopefully), Bears won't be near the challenge as Vikings. The Bears are not at all good against the rush, 6th worse in YPC this season. TG and TA are gonna have a field day. Rams are at home.

I just posted the article. The odds of 3 NFCW teams going to the playoffs are probably huge. STILL, it does seem possible where we stand looking at the schedules. The only team on your list, Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, that I think have a shot of keeping up are the Eagles. But, what do I know? I'm the guy that expects Cook to catch passes that come to him.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
not trying to mix threads but I myself feel this is definitely a bit of a panic mode. our QB has shown zero signs of improvement in 8 games. he cannot see open recievers, cannot stay consistently accurate can't even get 200 yards passing. yea 4-4 record isn't a panic but having this offensive production is. this won't get any better the rest of the season so getting to a wild card birth and actually being competitive in the playoffs isn't realistic right now without serious QB improvement and also better run blocking

Alan

Legend
Robocop looking for the culprit:
our QB has shown zero signs of improvement in 8 games.
Has the O-line shown any signs of improvement? Has our WR corps shown any sign of improvement?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You thought they had the Rams as panic, didn't you? o_O
Not really. I don't think the author considered them a playoff threat before or after the game.
Panic only applies to teams who are performing below expectations and it doesn't appear that article had any for the Rams

Alan

Legend
fearsomefour with an affirmative and a maybe:
Yes and hard to tell.
As for the first one, they took a step back and erased all the improvements in in our last game without Havenstein IMO. Will they get back to where they were when Havenstein comes back? I hope so. But that still wasn't even mediocre.

I'm just as clueless as you when it comes to our WR corps but one thing I do know about them, they still drop too many passes. Below is an articles about dropped passes but unfortunately it's not formatted correctly. The Rams are only #2 which means they're not trying hard enough. :LOL:
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2015/
Team Dropped Passes and Drops Percentage
Team Targets Drops Drops Percentage
1 Philadelphia Eagles 309 20 6.5
2 St. Louis Rams 218 14 6.4%
3 Carolina Panthers 244 15 6.1
4 Houston Texans 359 22 6.1
5 Oakland Raiders 304 17 5.6
6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 242 13 5.4
7 Atlanta Falcons 355 19 5.4
8 Jacksonville Jaguars 306 16 5.2
9 New England Patriots 327 16 4.9