Three, maybe four, players’ Rams future may be quite “fluid”...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Lawler, of course, seems quite likely to be IR’d, either short or long term.

JoJo Natson is just one fumble or misjudged punt return that hits the ground and bounces the wrong way from being released in favor of Webster.

Demby is probably not sleeping all that well at night after his preseason. Kromer could get interested in another versatile OL player real quick should one become available.

Evans would be well advised to start impressing Kromer, too. His 3rd round status will protect him for a while, but if an impressive player should become available to Kromer as an alternative? Then Evans could find himself going the JFM route.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lawler, of course, seems quite likely to be IR’d, either short or long term.

JoJo Natson is just one fumble or misjudged punt return that hits the ground and bounces the wrong way from being released in favor of Webster.

Demby is probably not sleeping all that well at night after his preseason. Kromer could get interested in another versatile OL player real quick should one become available.

Evans would be well advised to start impressing Kromer, too. His 3rd round status will protect him for a while, but if an impressive player should become available to Kromer as an alternative? Then Evans could find himself going the JFM route.
JoJo has been feeling Nsimba's breath all preseason & its real hot steamy at the moment. OL'ers Demby's & Evans heels are all scarred, bleeding & sore due to rookie Chandler Brewer massive big feet stepping on both of them.

Name
Coleman
I agree 110% with Rams43 assessment above.
When we kept Jamil Demby and JoJo Natson on the 53-man Roster, I thought to myself, well Snead knows you need to have a couple of "placeholder bodies" on the 53 Man Roster to jettison IF a stud interior OLineman (or another desirable body) suddenly becomes available.

Rams43 didn't mention him, but Troy Reeder shudn't sleep so soundly either IMO....let's remember that both Natrez Patrick AND Clay Mathews have played and can play ILB.

Snead is smart like a fox.....this initial 53-man roster has up to an 8% amount of wiggle room built in by Mr. Snead IMHO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not saying Demby won't be cut at some point but I'd argue that Oline is probably the hardest position to grab a guy off waivers or someone else's team and integrate into your offense once the season starts. So much of that job is being able to work in concert with the guys next to you. Without prior knowledge of the offense or reps in camp, a guy coming in is already behind the eightball.

Granted, a superior player is a superior player but all things being equal, I think on the oline you dance with the one you brought once the season gets started.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
JoJo has been feeling Nsimba's breath all preseason & its real hot steamy at the moment.
I was thinking a hot and steamy pile, in a different context for JoJos play, but we essentially agree.

Snead is smart like a fox.....this initial 53-man roster has up to an 8% amount of wiggle room built in by Mr. Snead IMHO.
I was thinking this, too for Snead’s tactics with the bottom 1/3 of the roster, and protecting players. Maybe there is a strategy over my head.

Les is playing 4-D chess, I tell ya’!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not saying Demby won't be cut at some point but I'd argue that Oline is probably the hardest position to grab a guy off waivers or someone else's team and integrate into your offense once the season starts. So much of that job is being able to work in concert with the guys next to you. Without prior knowledge of the offense or reps in camp, a guy coming in is already behind the eightball.

Granted, a superior player is a superior player but all things being equal, I think on the oline you dance with the one you brought once the season gets started.

I take your point, WestCoast, and it’s a good one.

But then, this strategy has resulted in acquiring Blythe and Demby himself in the past, just to name a couple of Kromer’s past moves.

So, you never know. And let’s face it, the preseason Demby that we all saw is VERY upgradable. Stay tuned.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Once Neary is activated, who will be dropped assuming everyone is healthy? Natson, perhaps?

fearsomefour

Legend

But then, this strategy has resulted in acquiring Blythe and Demby himself in the past, just to name a couple of Kromer’s past moves.

So, you never know. And let’s face it, the preseason Demby that we all saw is VERY upgradable. Stay tuned.
If Demby ended up playing it would be a different situation than preseason in two ways.
The bad: the competition will be better.
The good: Kromer would be able to focus on Demby a lot more. He would be training week to week at one spot instead of moving around. He can be helped by blocking scheme and play calling in a way that would not be done in preseason.
In Demby is see a lot of the same issues (lack of balance, easily caught lunging/leaning in pass blocking) that we saw with Brown year one. He can improve as Brown did.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Fair, but I think we picked up Blythe before camp the year he came here and Demby was in camp with us the entire time only to be snatched before we could stash him on the PS.

I will say, I think if a center type were around that the Rams liked, they prob would have pulled the trigger as I think that's a spot that could sink us. (Yes, Blythe could move over but he hasn't snapped at all in camp or I think in the last year and then we'd have to promote Demby to RG and I don't love that).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Demby ended up playing it would be a different situation than preseason in two ways.
The bad: the competition will be better.
The good: Kromer would be able to focus on Demby a lot more. He would be training week to week at one spot instead of moving around. He can be helped by blocking scheme and play calling in a way that would not be done in preseason.
In Demby is see a lot of the same issues (lack of balance, easily caught lunging/leaning in pass blocking) that we saw with Brown year one. He can improve as Brown did.

Another advantage for Demby would be that he’d be surrounded by 4 much higher caliber players. That’s a biggie.

But still...

It was disconcerting to see Demby struggling like he did in the preseason. Gulp...

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Once the regular season starts Lawler can be put on the IR with the thought of coming off of it in week 9. This makes room for Dakota Allen or a John Kelly to be called up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'd argue your case if we were speaking of starters, but back-ups aren't going to require the same degree of chemistry as you'd want for them at the next level. These reserve players of ours have been bouncing from one position to another while cross training in the hope we either find their strongest position or that they can adequately perform as a swing player. If they aren't working out and Kromer sees something available which more fits his needs, I would expect him to go out and get him. jmo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Once the regular season starts Lawler can be put on the IR with the thought of coming off of it in week 9. This makes room for Dakota Allen or a John Kelly to be called up.

Yes, I expect it to be Kelly and I also think a veteran OL will be added after week one, but again, JMHO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fair, but I think we picked up Blythe before camp the year he came here and Demby was in camp with us the entire time only to be snatched before we could stash him on the PS.

I will say, I think if a center type were around that the Rams liked, they prob would have pulled the trigger as I think that's a spot that could sink us. (Yes, Blythe could move over but he hasn't snapped at all in camp or I think in the last year and then we'd have to promote Demby to RG and I don't love that).
Your correct Center Austin Blythe was claimed off waivers by Los Angeles on May 16th 2017

MauiRam

Rookie
Rams place Justin Lawler on IR, sign C Coleman Shelton to active roster
By: Cameron DaSilva | 2 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams opted not to put Justin Lawler on injured reserve when final cuts were made, and for good reason. They did place him on IR Monday, but because he made the 53-man roster at first, he’s eligible to return after eight weeks.a Had he been put on the injured reserve list Saturday, he would’ve been ruled out for the season – the same way Micah Kiser is.

To take Lawler’s place on the 53-man roster, the Rams signed former Cardinals center Coleman Shelton. Shelton spent the preseason with Arizona, playing three of their four exhibition games. He started the preseason finale and played 43 snaps (80 percent) at center.

He played his college football at Washington, starting 47 games in four seasons. He played multiple positions, beginning at right tackle in 2014 before moving to left tackle and guard the following season. In 2016, he found a home at center and started 27 games there in his final two seasons.

Shelton was named first-team All-Pac-12 in 2017 and second-team All-Pac-12 in 2016, so he did enter the NFL with some college accolades to his name. He went undrafted in 2018 and first landed with the 49ers as a free agent.

With Shelton joining the 53-man roster, the Rams now have nine offensive linemen available. Shelton is likely to be the primary backup at center behind Brian Allen with Aaron Neary out indefinitely.

We haven't had the opportunity to see how well our 2 new O-line starters mesh with Whitworth, Blythe, and Havenstein as a unit, as none of the starters received so much as a sniff of action during preseason. If they can open holes for the rbs, we should be okay, if not - defenses will lay their ears back and come after Goff with a vengeance.

McVay obviously has a good playbook and he certainly excels at creating favorable matchups. That said, if we cannot force opposing Ds to respect the run, we will struggle, and if so, Goff's chances of being injured will increase.

Our skill players and quarterback are very good. On paper our D should be better than last year. No matter how good our D turns out to be, if it is constantly on the field we all know how that goes.

The O-line baby! .. It all starts there. I've got my fingers crossed and like the rest of you cannot wait to see our starters play vs Carolina next weekend. GO RAMS !!!!!