Three key factors for the St. Louis Rams to shock the league and make the playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Justin Koski
http://cover32.com/rams/2015/07/09/...ms-to-shock-the-league-and-make-the-playoffs/

mason1-750x256.jpg

Preseason Week 1 against the Oakland Raiders is just 36 days away for the St. Louis Rams, and if you’re like me, it can’t get here soon enough. Football season is the greatest part of the year and there’s one thing that could make this season even better, playoff football.

Chris Simms from Team Stream outlined three things the Rams have going for them that could have them playing deep into January football and shock the NFL world.

1. New Offensive Leaders

“You got a new offensive coordinator in Frank Cignetti, and a new quarterback in Nick Foles,” Simms said. “Sometimes that can be the best thing for an organization – just a new fresh start.”

He argued that while Cignetti will bring a similar style of football to the field according to Jeff Fisher’s liking, “there will be a new look” to the offense and new ideas that “[Brian] Schottenheimer didn’t bring.”

2. Sneaky Offensive Talent

“We’ve talked about their offensive line, we know they have some big young studs there, but man, you talk about wide receivers, they have some potential there,” Simms suggested. “Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin.

“Oh yeah, let’s get to running backs: Tre Mason and oh yes, Todd Gurley,” he continued. “And then Jared Cook at tight end – I’ve played with Jared Cook down in Tennessee, he’s big and he can really run. I think there’s more talent there than people realize, and I think that offense takes maybe off a little this year.”

3. Potential for Special Defense

“I’m not just saying number two or three ranked defense in football, I think this could maybe be one of the more dominant defenses we’ve seen in the past few years in football, especially that front four,” Simms argued. “Truly, I think that front four is getting into the status of we need to find a nickname for the monsters of the midway – purple people eaters – something like that.”

“I do thing they have the capability of leading the NFL in sacks, they have a good linebacking core, and they have some talent at the safety position and all through the secondary,” he concluded. “They can do something really big time on defense out there.”

Do you think the Rams have what it takes to reach the playoffs this year? Can they shock the NFL by breaking a decade-long streak of non-winning seasons?

Read more at http://cover32.com/rams/2015/07/09/...ue-and-make-the-playoffs/#5Yy1cXv6lHiso1JG.99

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree with Simms and been saying it... The Rams have above average receiving talent and depth. With coaching that talent might take off. And now with Gurley added the offensive backfield is even better, if he's healthy this year him and Mason can be an almost disgusting collection of riches at RB.

Snead and Fish have a good eye for talent, no doubt about it. They just gotta get that offense rollin.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not worried about the defense. I expect them to be good this year. If they want to be a dominant, elite unit, they have to be on their game from day one. They cannot get off to a slow start if they expect to contend.

I know the offense has potential. But right now potential is all there is. Its quite possible they will start slow as the new guys learn to adapt to the system and the NFL.

So until I see that potential realized, I will approach with caution. The offensive unit cannot be as bad as they were at times last year if they want to be a playoff team. I'm not asking for much. Just make the plays that are there to make. And don't get so dominated by the defenses in our division. They gotta do better than single digit scoring.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
" Just make the plays that are there to make. "

Bingo. Schotty and our back up QBs took a lot of heat (arguably mostly deserved), but the O fucked up a lot of well designed plays the last couple of years.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just recycling my motto from last year. Anything short of 10 wins will be a disappointment for me.

This team has enough talent to be a playoff team. The time is now

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just recycling my motto from last year. Anything short of 10 wins will be a disappointment for me.

This team has enough talent to be a playoff team. The time is now
Did you say "the time is now" last year? :p

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree with Simms and been saying it... The Rams have above average receiving talent and depth. With coaching that talent might take off. And now with Gurley added the offensive backfield is even better, if he's healthy this year him and Mason can be an almost disgusting collection of riches at RB.

Snead and Fish have a good eye for talent, no doubt about it. They just gotta get that offense rollin.
I still have a little Hope for I. Pead, & love the finds like Bennine Cunningham. Lance Kendrick just resigned & The Rams have Alex Bayer & Justice Cunningham battling for a spot on the Roster.
These players all add to the passing game.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Did you say "the time is now" last year? :p

I did and last year was a disappointment! I know you think Im crazy but they were good enough last year to be a playoff team. But I have been a Ram fan for almost 40 years so Im a little crazy anyway lol.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
And he didn't even mention Brian Quick who was having a breakout year before his injury.