Thousands of ‘penis fish’ wash onto California beach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Thousands of ‘penis fish’ wash onto California beach
By Nadine DeNinno
December 12, 2019 | 5:24pm | Updated

Enlarge Image

A fat inkeeper worm found in Bodega Bay.

A fat inkeeper worm found in Bodega Bay.

It’s a bird … it’s a plane … it’s a penis fish?
Thousands of “pulsing penis fish” have washed ashore on a California beach as seen in jarring photos that are raising eyebrows due to the creature’s phallic shape.
The quirky marine life is officially called fat innkeeper worms (Urechis caupo), and an expert writes for Bay Nature that he believes a recent storm in the Drakes Beach area is the reason so many of them mysteriously appeared on the beach.
Spotted by Ivan Parr on Dec. 6, the biologist from the Western Section of The Wildlife Society explains that the 10-inch fat innkeeper worm typically lives underwater, burrowing in mud or sand, but the storm likely carried them ashore.
“I’ve heard my share of imaginative theories from beachcombers, such as flotsam of a wrecked bratwurst freighter,” he writes.
However, Parr explains that a sausage ship accident is not the cause of this scene.

“We’re seeing the risk of building your home out of sand,” he says. “Strong storms — especially during El Niño years — are perfectly capable of laying siege to the intertidal zone, breaking apart the sediments, and leaving their contents stranded on shore.”
The spoonworm, which can live for up to 25 years, feeds and swims using its “spatula-shaped proboscis.” It typically eats bacteria, plankton and other small particles which it collects using “sticky mucus nets.”

Parr says he’s heard of sightings over the years in California at Pajaro Dunes, Moss Landing, Bodega Bay and Princeton Harbor.
The creature dates back 300 million years and also can be eaten — an anonymous colleague at The Post who has dined on a stir-fried fat innkeeper worm before in Shanghai, China, describes the taste as being “like a Livestrong band mated with a clam.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
an anonymous colleague at The Post who has dined on a stir-fried fat innkeeper worm before in Shanghai, China, describes the taste as being “like a Livestrong band mated with a clam.”

That doesn’t really help me understand. :censored:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well this happened very close to San Francisco sooo,,, it kinda makes more sense knowing that.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Breaking:
Sonoma County Board of Supervisors To Rename Beach

December 13, 2019
Farr Be It, Editorial Stiff Member

Bodega.jpg

In a surprise move today, the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors has renamed the former Bodega Bay Beach. Supervisor Richard Hardon said that the move was a long time coming,

"There has been a surge of support for the renaming, over the years. A few of my collogues were pushing for 'Clam Clapper Cove', but ultimately the new name was inspired by a recent washing ashore of....ahem... Penis Fish."

The newly named Dildo Landing will be dedicated this evening in a special ceremony. Nearby residents and tourists alike are encouraged to attend, perhaps bringing candles, or any phallic-like object of their liking.

The strange washing ashore of the penis fish the other day was a bit shocking. While the beach was for a time littered with the strange -looking fish, the community did rally, in a rather frenzied fashion to gather up the unfortunate beached penises.

Among the beach clean-up crew were Forty-Niner quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, and Cornerback Dick Sherman.

jimmy-garropolo-carted-off-field.jpg

"Dick and I heard about the many penises.....I mean, fish, that landed here on the beach, and we thought- hey, we want to pitch-in and help the community clean up."

Garappolo was seen giving it his all, in the clean-up effort. Sherman, too, was grabbing those fish, with almost an envious look on his face. Thousands of men from nearby San Francisco joined in the cleanup effort.

Dildo Landing will be re-openned to the public this weekend.

sonoma-coast-map.gif

*In a non-related story: Nearby Jenner Beach is also being considered for renaming. Early idea entries include Caitlyn Cove, and What-the-Hell Beach.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have a good feeling about this thread. It has potential. (y)

oldnotdead

Legend
10 inches!!?? Damn better not let my girlfriend see this. My 9" will be obsolete! :palm: