Thoughts on S- Jonathan Cyprien

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Its just not from the recent Combine, I'm just not that familiar w/ Florida International I mean who really watched their games. I did watch the Papa John's Bowl but again was not tuned in to him specifically. Maybe Doc and several others of you can provide your much appreciated insight.

If he's there at 16 or 22 do YOU pull the trigger? I have this instinct he will be a stud at the next levels abs would fill an immediate need!
usu8yqy3.jpg
u2ypyry3.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like him a lot. Seems like a natural leader. Was said to be the best secondary player at the Senior Bowl, which included several top prospects. He very well could be in the hunt for one of the first safeties taken. Right now it seems as though he is a 2nd rounder. He plays close to the line of scrimmage a lot. He diagnoses plays pretty quickly. When he's absolutely sure of the play, he can shed a TE, and fire up field. Plays sideline to sideline effortlessly. On one play I saw him 5 yds deep like a LB'er, and still tackled RB for 2 yd loss. He lined up like a backer several times, and thrives there. Saw him make a key tackle in heavy traffic on goal line to prevent a TD.

Seemed to be responsible for contain most of the time most of the time in their defense. He forces the play inside, or makes the play when they try him. Appears to have some skills in coverage, as I saw him pretty tight on TE's and RB's. Plays special teams, and looks like a possible stud there.

He seems to have the skills to play FS, but I don't see him play in a lot of space. He did play in some space at the Senior Bowl and garnered a lot of attention from pro scouts. Looked good in one on one drills for a safety, played more like a corner, which tells me he can play that extra receiver when needed.

F. Mulder

Starter
I like him but I also like/think there are up to 7 potential safeties who can step in and start. In a safety rich class I'd rather they look at that position after the 1st round personally.

However, in Snisher I trust! :cheese:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It would be fantastic if the Rams could land him in the 2nd.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
F. Mulder said:
I like him but I also like/think there are up to 7 potential safeties who can step in and start. In a safety rich class I'd rather they look at that position after the 1st round personally.

I think we could land somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round including Cyprien.

F. Mulder

Starter
DR RAM said:
F. Mulder said:

I think we could land somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round including Cyprien.

Agree. I think there are potentially 4-6 safeties who can play available in rounds 2-3.

jap

Legend
With Fish and Snead's approach of looking for impact players with immediate starter capability or future starter potential, we should be ringing up some decent stock in most rounds.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
I like him a lot. Seems like a natural leader. Was said to be the best secondary player at the Senior Bowl, which included several top prospects. He very well could be in the hunt for one of the first safeties taken. Right now it seems as though he is a 2nd rounder. He plays close to the line of scrimmage a lot. He diagnoses plays pretty quickly. When he's absolutely sure of the play, he can shed a TE, and fire up field. Plays sideline to sideline effortlessly. On one play I saw him 5 yds deep like a LB'er, and still tackled RB for 2 yd loss. He lined up like a backer several times, and thrives there. Saw him make a key tackle in heavy traffic on goal line to prevent a TD.

Seemed to be responsible for contain most of the time most of the time in their defense. He forces the play inside, or makes the play when they try him. Appears to have some skills in coverage, as I saw him pretty tight on TE's and RB's. Plays special teams, and looks like a possible stud there.

He seems to have the skills to play FS, but I don't see him play in a lot of space. He did play in some space at the Senior Bowl and garnered a lot of attention from pro scouts. Looked good in one on one drills for a safety, played more like a corner, which tells me he can play that extra receiver when needed.

Thank you Doc! Nice assessment and diagnosis..next patient please.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I don't see him as a 1st round safety. Also consider, if the Rams restructure with Mikell (very possible) the immediate need on the back end will be Free Safety not strong. I feel as if Cyprien has tools to be an elite SS who plays around the LOS. I didn't see enough tape of him playing deep to make me think he projects as a FS. If Mikell were cut loose, he'd be a consideration of mine, but not in the 1st

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
First off I think Cyprien is closer in talent too Kenny Varronco (sp?) than we think. If you where to ask Jeff Fisher too Describe his ideal safety this is your guy without a shadow of a doubt. Plays w/ a nasty streak, hits like a sledge hammer & can cover ground w/ his speed!

I see us taking him w/ our 22nd pick. Not sure he will be there in Rd 2. Keep in mind a lot of the so called expects say this draft class will look a lot different between teams more so then most years w/ have they stack their boards.

It's shaping out as a run in OT in the top half of Rd 1 (no surprise there but more teams will reach for OTs earlier than expected. After picks 20 there will be a run on CBs. Which will push a good WR to us in Rd 2.

I hope Snead can sign Haynes before DA. I more than willing to make the hard decision on letting DA walk due to health and cost. Also I think we need more Physicality at the wide receiver position to play against our fellow division rivals.
I think it's also more important to have a good DL rotation than having DA at a high price. Our division has 2 Mobile quarterbacks and it's extremely important to have a good rotation with a little drop off in talent to keep those quarterbacks behind the line of scrimmage.
So drafting WRs in Rd 2&3 makes a ton of sense this year. Quick should be able to give us a Gibson type year at worst. And Givens should raise his game a little more too.
Besides we have 2 picks next year we could move up to get WR from USC M. LEE or someone w/ top end talent to complete our fire power

F. Mulder

Starter
I think the 1st 3 picks (obviously barring any trades) will be OL, WR, Safety. I think both the Safety and WR classes are deep into maybe the 3rd-4th round. Obviously it depends on which WR or Safety they have rated #1 and how much difference that rating is vs the next one (or several). I'm in the OL, Austin camp for the 1st round and grab a quality Safety in the 2nd (which still could include Cyprien). However, I could see them going OL, Safety and grabbing a good WR in the 2nd. Now watch them draft a DE, MLB, and CB :bummed:

I agree that the DL rotation is huge. Hayes is a key resigning IMO. If they get him they have a nice rotation in Long, Quinn, Hayes, Langford, Brockers, Sims, Cudjo?. If they add a DT via the draft or FA all the better.

For me the 3rd-5th round is where we need to see at least 1 LBer who can run. He may be situational as a blitzer but they need someone who can run and track down these running QBs. I don't care if the guy is undersized as long as he has wheels.

If Jackson leaves I have a hard time believing they are confident with Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway given their limited experience. I could see them drafting a RB or signing a rotational FA to get through the year. Same with TE. If they want to run a 2-headed monster they need another TE.

I think DA is almost surely gone and Jackson is 60-40 gone at this point.

For me the ultimate would be to get their top-rated guy at 16 and trade 22 and pick up a 2nd and 3rd (and maybe 4th) rd pick. If they got their dream OL and the next player they wanted is gone, not rated well-above the others, or the trade value is too great, they can still get the WR, Safety, and 2-4 other top 100 players

Great to see you posting here PressureD41!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Mulder w/ Regards too trading down from the 22nd pick to gather a 2nd & 3rd. Not sure they would be willing too do that. Bengals 1st pick in Rd 2 is #37 followed by pick #57 in Rd 2...
The Dolphins have picks # 42 & 54 in Rd 2
In Rd 3: dolphins have picks 77 (in front of us) & 82

I would consider trading pick #22 for 2-2nd Rders. Otherwise I'm not sure they would trade it for a 2nd & 3rd rd pick. It would give us draft flexibility for sure but the rub is you then your trading a starter for two non starters next year. I'm more inclined they want two starters in Rd 1 vs one starter and 2 future starters. All depends on how we do in FA and where they think we are as a team this season

I'm really enjoying this board. Lots of good posters. Thx for the kind words F. Mulder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He is my favorite free deep safety in this yrs draft. He would make an excellent #46 Ram draft selection.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think which will be proved lol Cyprien won't make it out of the 1st round.

At #46 maybe just maybe Rambo or Elam are around. I don't wanna bank in that so I shall update my question to Demoff as Take Cyprien by #22...paaaahlease.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BatteringRambo said:

At #46 maybe just maybe Rambo or Elam are around. I don't wanna bank in that so I shall update my question to Demoff as Take Cyprien by #22...paaaahlease.

What stands out the most about him...Is that he plays really well in trash. He's kind of uncanny how he can locate and tackle a ball carrier amongst a bunch of players in a tight space. I just watched the Senior Bowl again, where he was allowed/afforded to play in space, and he covers a ton of ground. He may go in the first round, but in the bottom half of it, IMO.

I have him and Elam very close, followed by Reid, and Vaccaro, and then the next group being: P. Thomas, S. Thomas, Jefferson, Rambo, Swearinger, Duke Williams (You'd like this kid, tough as nails), then McDonald. I think all of these guys are an upgrade from our current situation at free. Some of these guys are considered strong safeties, but I think they can play free, or strong.

I really think that we could possibly have our choice in the 2nd, but could still get a good one in the third, and probably still nab a starter in the 4th, unless there is a run on safeties. For instance, I think that Cyprien and Elam are low first to mid second round talents, and then most of the next group are 2nd round talents that should be available in the third round, etc.

When there is this much depth and value at a position that isn't a premium position per se, then a lot of teams will wait to try to get the best value unless they really covet a certain player's particular skills.

If we miss out on one of the top tackles, then I'd like to try to trade down and pick up another second, and a third. So many good players will be available there.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Doc great take, that's the key in every draft. Find value w/ your picks. I think it's 50/50 we will trade down from 22 but no more than 20 spots IMHO. I'm starting to hope for this:

Let Dola & SJ39 walk unless price is great ie: home town discount.

FA sign: TE Cook & FS Delonis (sp? Detroit)

Draft:

16) OL Warmack/Cooper/Watson/Fluker
22) Lacey
46) WR Woods
66) DT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F. Mulder

Starter
DR RAM said:
BatteringRambo said:

What stands out the most about him...Is that he plays really well in trash. He's kind of uncanny how he can locate and tackle a ball carrier amongst a bunch of players in a tight space. I just watched the Senior Bowl again, where he was allowed/afforded to play in space, and he covers a ton of ground. He may go in the first round, but in the bottom half of it, IMO.

I have him and Elam very close, followed by Reid, and Vaccaro, and then the next group being: P. Thomas, S. Thomas, Jefferson, Rambo, Swearinger, Duke Williams (You'd like this kid, tough as nails), then McDonald. I think all of these guys are an upgrade from our current situation at free. Some of these guys are considered strong safeties, but I think they can play free, or strong.

I really think that we could possibly have our choice in the 2nd, but could still get a good one in the third, and probably still nab a starter in the 4th, unless there is a run on safeties. For instance, I think that Cyprien and Elam are low first to mid second round talents, and then most of the next group are 2nd round talents that should be available in the third round, etc.

When there is this much depth and value at a position that isn't a premium position per se, then a lot of teams will wait to try to get the best value unless they really covet a certain player's particular skills.

If we miss out on one of the top tackles, then I'd like to try to trade down and pick up another second, and a third. So many good players will be available there.

I agree completely. This has the chance to have a starting Safety up to the 7th or 8th picked one IMO. If they LOVE someone get him, if they are close or group several all together than wait.