Thoughts On Coming Roster Cuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Most of you know that the NFL has changed its format of roster cut downs, changing it to just one after the 4th pre-season game. Teams will be cutting 37 players, going from 90 to 53. Not sure about the number that can be relegated to the practice squad, (I'm sure one of you know the #). A total of 1,184 will be affected and hoping to be picked up by another team

Its going to be crazy folks. Signings will be reported almost immediately and reported on newswire non-stop for days. GM's and HC's are going to busy and going nuts trying to get guys that might upgrade their roster. I expect McSnead to in the thick of things, and an O-lineman will be their target.

To the meat of this post: Who might be cut the Rams could use? What position do Rams need upgraded and might find a roster cut to help?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re the practice squad I believe it was bumped to 10 if not last year it was 7. Each tamis allowed up to 3 players that has accrued 2 years of NFL service.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Rams need a backup ROT, DE (Easley, no Donald?), and potentially guard depth. Maybe even a backup RB who can pass block on 3rd down. I'm thinking Dunbar goes IR. Unsure that any of our RBs pass block well enough for consideration.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams need a backup ROT, DE (Easley, no Donald?), and potentially guard depth. Maybe even a backup RB who can pass block on 3rd down. I'm thinking Dunbar goes IR. Unsure that any of our RBs pass block well enough for consideration.
I think they might cut Dunbar and what about FB Sam Rogers isn't he blocking well!?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Most of you know that the NFL has changed its format of roster cut downs, changing it to just one after the 4th pre-season game. Teams will be cutting 37 players, going from 90 to 53. Not sure about the number that can be relegated to the practice squad, (I'm sure one of you know the #). A total of 1,184 will be affected and hoping to be picked up by another team

Its going to be crazy folks. Signings will be reported almost immediately and reported on newswire non-stop for days. GM's and HC's are going to busy and going nuts trying to get guys that might upgrade their roster. I expect McSnead to in the thick of things, and an O-lineman will be their target.

To the meat of this post: Who might be cut the Rams could use? What position do Rams need upgraded and might find a roster cut to help?
I will start with the Defense first here.....I will arrive here by traveling the long road to get to your question answered.

DL: Even with the absence of two DE's former first rd selections & outstanding talents in the DL Donald/Easley...the abundance of good young talent compiled by Rams the DL would not be an unit. I would expect that much of the NFL will be looking at our WWC's. I can find no fault with DE prospects of Westbrook/ LTP/ Fox/ {R} Smart & even Brockers. When you throw in former DE's Barwin/Quinn/Longacre Ram DE propsects are thick.

LB's:. The Interior LB'ing cadre also appears loaded. On the flip side,it's interesting that we see a good number of outside edge rusher coming & going, (which to me) indicates injury issues causing concern's manly due to 2 of the 4 initially projected Samson Ebukam/ Rob Quinn are out. However the stepping up by the bench has been excellent (Longacre/McKinzy/Price/Littleton) 2 new OLB'er Mays & Tull are now getting a work out. If Quinn/Eubukam don't get heathy this might be a unit (Edge Rusher)where we see a WWC added.

Safeties/Nickle: I placed the Nickle cb position in here with the safeties. Wade thus far this pre season has used his FS's (Countess/Joyner/John Johnson/Cody Davis) as has 5th DB Nickel. No need for any WWC Nickel-Back. SS Mo Alexander has not looked sharp in pre season. The reserve SS's are all UDFA's with Marqui Christian as the most seen & active. We could see rookie Johnson get more action here the next 2 gms.The FS cadre is far more talented & fat. I see no need for the Rams to scrape the WWC release pot to add a player here.

Outside CB: This is another unit that has seen players coming & going is @ outside corners. This outside corner unit would be my first selection as an area that we can see the Rams looking for a WWC. @ the moment this cadre has a core 4 player unit Johnson/Webster/NRC/Jordan.

Answer would be outside CB

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
WR was a position group I was keeping an eye on and a group where the final roster slots were hotly debated April through July. Now with the arrival of Watkins and seeing the trends from the first two preseason contests the WR group suddenly has the most clarity of who top final six are (barring injuries - Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Austin, Reynolds, and Cooper).

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think they might cut Dunbar and what about FB Sam Rogers isn't he blocking well!?
Not sure, DF51. He has been playing mostly against 3rd stringers. Reports from camp are that no RBs, TEs were blocking blitzing LBs with any success.

Rogers appears to be a PS guy until he gets his blocking up to snuff.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what I saw of Rogers at TC, I like his effort, but at 235lbs, he's overmatched by most DE's and has trouble recognizing and sustaining blocks.
Harkey is by far the best at recognizing blitz', understanding who to pick up, and sustaining blocks among all the TE's and RB's.

Rogers is a work in progress.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From what I saw of Rogers at TC, I like his effort, but at 235lbs, he's overmatched by most DE's and has trouble recognizing and sustaining blocks.
Harkey is by far the best at recognizing blitz', understanding who to pick up, and sustaining blocks among all the TE's and RB's.

Rogers is a work in progress.
As I mentioned in the Harley thread if his blocking was so vital and so great he'd be getting 1st team snaps and be in there with Goff. He had 16 snaps last week. I don't think he's as vital to McVay as many people think.

Ram65

Legend
I think the Rams are going to concentrate on getting the practice squad set up.

Snead will do his homework on potential cuts. I said before he might make a precut trade if it's there. That way he gets the guy he wants. It seems the Rams have most of the pieces in place. If they take a player he has to go on the 53 man roster and be a an improvement. Cap wise they probably don't have a lot to spend without moving money around on other contracts. Here is short list of vets who could become available. Not much of a list but more will be coming out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-roster-releases-before-regular-season-begins

Just not sure about injuries. Hope Pace Murphy and Donnal are healing up quickly. Blythe and Endrenkamp help rounding out the offensive line. Quinn is healthy so he is ready as they are just being careful. I think the Rams have enough flexibility to go with what they have. Doesn't mean Snead won't stop trying to find a new player or two.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I think we need more work on the O-line and CB. If Troy Hill is the first man off the bench, I would be very very nervous. But also it's probably going to be pretty hard to find anybody good.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
OL/DE is where I might look to enhance, otherwise I think we are pretty well set.

NO INJURIES on either side of the ball is the first & last word, so just loose the dogs and let them do their thing.

Goff now has his offense, it's time for him to fly with McVay's scheming. Wade Phillips is the magic behind our defense, if he likes what he has, then we are good to go. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I actually think a guy like Snead loves the cutdown from 90 to 53 at the same time. We should be able to find OL and CB depth easier. If we work the phones correctly. Talent is out there...hell, we're gonna cut 3 wr's that can play...probably cut a TE and DL that can start somewhere...

I wish we had Ian Seau to play OLB....just to see....not to keep...unless he balled out.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I actually think a guy like Snead loves the cutdown from 90 to 53 at the same time. We should be able to find OL and CB depth easier. If we work the phones correctly. Talent is out there...hell, we're gonna cut 3 wr's that can play...probably cut a TE and DL that can start somewhere...

I wish we had Ian Seau to play OLB....just to see....not to keep...unless he balled out.
I think all the coaches and GM's like the rule change. Nobody wants to play the starters the last game.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Drop Dunbar and keep Rogers as a RB. He'll get most of his run on S/T anyway, and Austin can rotate into the backfield as a change of pace guy as well.

The more I think of Rogers, the more I think of Brian Leonard. Didn't do much for us, but developed into a pretty decent player for the Bengals later on. They've got very similar size, Rogers is a step slower, but I could see a similar role as a great pass catching FB/ H-back.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The more I think of Rogers, the more I think of Brian Leonard. Didn't do much for us, but developed into a pretty decent player for the Bengals later on. They've got very similar size, Rogers is a step slower, but I could see a similar role as a great pass catching FB/ H-back.

Oh no you didn't. You had to remind us of that terrible 2007 Linehan draft. Is the rest of the league done with laughing at that Rams draft yet, or the fact we chose Leonard in the 2'nd round ? The Rams were clueless on this pick, looking for a #2 change of pace RB behind Steven Jackson, what they got was some hybrid underweight FB who could catch but not run, and wasn't much of a blocker either for SJ.
Personally, I don't see any comparables between Leonard & Rogers other than they can both catch out of the backfield. Leonard was drafted in the 2'nd round & had very high expectations, Rogers was drafted in the 6'th round and comes with a hope and a prayer. One was meant to be a RB, the other a FB. Leonard was 6'1" & 225lbs., Rogers is 5'10" and 235+lbs. Leonard ran a 4.49-40, Rogers a 4.88. Leonard played 1 year at FB as a college senior, Rogers for all 4 years.
Worse yet, the Rams could of had Darrelle Revis in the 1'st, yet went after Adam Carriker instead.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Game 3 is going to be a key part of answering that question @bubbaramfan. There are a lot of guys on the bubble and jobs will be won and lost in the review of the preseason game 3 and to a lesser extent game 4 film.

And as to the league roster cuts, once again I would think that Snead and his department have a running list of who might be cut from every team and have already identified guys they're interested in. And that list will probably change a bit as well through the next two games.

So a ways to go I think, being only halfway through preseason. We probably know who 80% of the roster is going to be, but from there it's all going to be game day action that separates them, as it should.