Thoughts on adding Ken Whisenhunt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
He is between good and great when it comes to play calling and whispering to QBs. Foles is a drop back QB and a good fit. Anyone see benefit in bringing him as offensive consultant this season to improve an anemic passing game?

…..

Legend
is this just an idea?

if we're tossing around ideas then just go full Martz

I have no thoughts on Wisenhunt....we have Garcia in house to do what you suggest. Clearly the whispering in not helping Foles or the offensive philosphy employed by Fisher

Unless Wisenhunt can kick 75 yard field goals. Fisher LOVES field goals.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I do not doubt Fisher's ability to make somebody even along the lines of Norv look conservative and mediocre.

MountainRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whisenhunt had success with Ben, Rivers, Warner and I am fairly certain Mariotta too. I would like to bring him in and without changing much would let him fix up Foles better in one or two areas (example, footwork on 3,5 and 7 step drops) and implement about 5 down the seam passing plays. I think it is worth it since we need to score 21+ points in playoffs to win.

FRO

Legend
There isn't enough time in season to install an entirely different offensive scheme. Not sure it's all the coordinators fault. The talent hasn't been playing at their best.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
He is between good and great when it comes to play calling and whispering to QBs. Foles is a drop back QB and a good fit. Anyone see benefit in bringing him as offensive consultant this season to improve an anemic passing game?

I thought about this last night, not sure he would want a coordinater position, but who knows maybe he would be willing to come in knowing that he could help the O and the D is already pretty much set to help him exact his revenge on the cards.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Cignettti overall has done ok. He's found ways to use Austin, although my concern is he calls the SAME play too much and becomes predictable.
We still have major execution issues, guys not blocking, dropping way too many passes or Foles just overthrowing wide open targets.
Could the play calling be better? Sure, no argument here. But doesn't matter who your OC is if the players can't execute the play.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I have 0 problem with Ken coming in as an offensive consultant until he finds something better. We've gotta keep searching for answers with this passing attack, and maybe he has some.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There isn't enough time in season to install an entirely different offensive scheme. Not sure it's all the coordinators fault. The talent hasn't been playing at their best.

Whisenhunt's addition would not necessarily require a change of system.

He could be added as an additional Quality Control coach, and give Cigs honest and ongoing appraisals of this offense. Or simply hired as a coaching staff counsel of some sort, invent the title as needed. Basic idea would be bringing in more expertise in order to get this passing game going.

But it won't happen. Fish is far too tolerant of poor offense, not nearly as decisive or unforgiving as he is with his defensive staff. IMO he doesn't understand it so he puts the staff in charge and trusts them to do the job. Also, he is more tolerant of poor production on offense than he is on defense; if a guy like Cook played OLB he'd be on the bench right now without a doubt.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Agree with Merlin , Love Wisenhunt and what he did with Todd Haley together (Warner Cardinals SB) . This offense needs a MAJOR PROFFESIONAL JOLT. There are only about a dozen NFL PASSING Coordinators of the Quality we NEED to move our offense into the patriots level & that would upset Coach Fishers applecart. Fisher just does not roll that way and having Nick Foles have to upgrade his reading ability to even run Todd Haley's system. (Current Steelers OC). Not sure Nick has the skills to do what normally the elite only can do. It is EXACTLY what this RAMS team NEEDS desperately.

Just improving Tavon Austin is Cignetti's only claim to fame. After that I see stagnation and a major mountain to climb with Hinderances by the way Fisher likes his offense. We need to start NOW to be ready for NEXT years playoffs. We are at cave man level where we stand today after a game we should have won and yet still would'nt make us NFL Playoff winning caliber passing game. WE CAN'T THROW A FREAKIN SIMPLE SLANT PATTERN that was thrown close to 100 times yesterday alone its so successfull yet its too risky for a Fisher offense.SMH:icare::homercrawl::deadhorse: Maybe the risk of a TO is too much for the guy. Crossing/rub routes shallow,intermediate and deep are so needed. We are so predictable a high school coach could gameplan our offense. We run close to what Georgia Tech runs but they run it 10 times better. Its SOO Embarrassing.:confused::rolleyes: I really hate it will take a coaching change to fix what ails us and to take the next step forward we are headed for an 8-8 final record as I predicted a tie game on record here before yesterdays game started. Then we lost the OT coin toss and the Wind was stronger than our offense.o_O:thinking:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cignettti overall has done ok. He's found ways to use Austin, although my concern is he calls the SAME play too much and becomes predictable.
We still have major execution issues, guys not blocking, dropping way too many passes or Foles just overthrowing wide open targets.
Could the play calling be better? Sure, no argument here. But doesn't matter who your OC is if the players can't execute the play.
the last 2 times they ran tavon austin student body right, the vikings were just sitting on that play. someone made a great suggestion to have tavon throw from that play, keeping the D off balance at least having to respect the possibility.

MountainRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the last 2 times they ran tavon austin student body right, the vikings were just sitting on that play. someone made a great suggestion to have tavon throw from that play, keeping the D off balance at least having to respect the possibility.

That's coming in the wild card playoff game. You can bank on it

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If any of our WR's can throw with any accuracy I think that would be a great idea. I mean the formation is always the same so we need to have some variance.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If any of our WR's can throw with any accuracy I think that would be a great idea. I mean the formation is always the same so we need to have some variance.
another poster had left video from the cardinals game up explaining that exact theory of having several plays off the same formation. that's mike martz' forte. GSOT (i'm comparing plays not players) on a 4 receiver set / marshall in the backfield you had 5 potential receiver routes , end around, reverse, and any running play at your disposal. a minimum of 8 plays off the same formation. there's more, because receiver routes obviously can change as well, and to their credit----Warner / holt/ bruce often switched routes just by looking at the defensive set in front of them.
(current Rams are not anywhere near that level as far as i can tell either) but this is to show how many options the GSOT offense had of 1 formation. Cignetti is trying to get headed in that direction, and it was working in the 2nd quarter but in the 3rd the vikings started blitzing to throw off the timing (and it did) and the Rams didnt respond with anything in return. back to the drawing board.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I love this idea! We have the worst offense in football and getting out coached by Zimmer is like losing a spelling contest to a dog!:eek:

Alan

Legend
I have no proof that Fisher is responsible for the tenor of our offense, if not the plays themselves, but it's suspicious that our O looks much the same under Cigs as it did with Schotty. There may well be reasons for this that we're unaware of but it's very suspicious. If Fisher won't let the coaches we have now call pass plays down the middle of the field (for example) or play a less conservative offense then what would lead me to believe he'd let a different coach do it?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'm with @Alan on this. Fisher's style is to play conservative...to a fault sometimes if you ask me. Not sure it matters who the play caller is if his he is ultimately handcuffed by the HC. Fisher played "not to lose" against the Vikings instead of trying to win that game in regulation (at least, that is how it appeared to me) and it may end up costing the Rams a playoff spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher needs to find a guy he trusts. He trusted Schottenheimer with his spread offense for four games and it didn't work, Fisher changed things to be more conservative and it the offend improved, so Schott lost Fishers trust to run it the offense his way.

I don't know if he doesn't trust Cignetti or if Cignetti doesn't trust himself, but this offense has a Fisher look to it.

But if you look to the past Fisher did have a good OC in Heimerdinger. He also searched for more established OCs last year, Like Shanahan and Chudzinski. Maybe with one of those guys he gives up control of the offense. I just don't think he is ready to put things completely in Cignetti and Boras' hands.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fisher needs to find a guy he trusts. He trusted Schottenheimer with his spread offense for four games and it didn't work, Fisher changed things to be more conservative and it the offend improved, so Schott lost Fishers trust to run it the offense his way.

I don't know if he doesn't trust Cignetti or if Cignetti doesn't trust himself, but this offense has a Fisher look to it.

But if you look to the past Fisher did have a good OC in Heimerdinger. He also searched for more established OCs last year, Like Shanahan and Chudzinski. Maybe with one of those guys he gives up control of the offense. I just don't think he is ready to put things completely in Cignetti and Boras' hands.

I don't think he gave anyone more than a brief glance, just to say he did. I think he intended to promote one of his guys regardless who was available.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think he gave anyone more than a brief glance, just to say he did. I think he intended to promote one of his guys regardless who was available.

I think he was serious about Shanahan and Chudzinski. They just weren't serious about coaching for him. Maybe they felt he would stifle them. Or Shanahan had already committed to Quinn and Chudzinski is in line to take over the Colts as head coach.