This team is being built like the seahawks and i like it alot !

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Looking at the similarities, Snead and Fish seem to be following the Seahawks game plan. We built a strong aggressive defense through the draft, we got our star running back, and now we will hopefully draft a QB that is built for this system( Carson Wentz). Seattle said they believed in Matt Flynn and paid him a lot of money , but when Russell Wilson was available in the 3rd round they picked him because he is perfect for that offense. I think its the same with the rams this year, We could of won a few games with Keenum like coach said but when a guy like Wentz is available and he is the last piece to this offense, you must take him . I would not be disappointed if they take Goff, because I think he's very accurate and will be a good starter in the league, I just see Wentz like Steve Mcnair and Fisher loves big strong athletic QB's

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have similarities to the Seahawks. But... I think they're going to miss Marshawn Lynch and his hard nose running style.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also don't get the comparison between Russell Wilson and Wentz...RW is a squat elusive QB, while Wentz is this big athletic QB prospect. I do like Wentz and he may be the man Fisher goes for......but Goff is more NFL ready right now, even though he didn't play in a Pro Style Offense like Wentz did...But the level of competiktion, starting time as a QB, overcoming adversity, quick release accurate throws (because his Oline was nonexistant) favors Goff. Aside for a seperated shoulder in his freshman year, Goff was durable. If we pick him, the guy will be a regular in the weight room I am sure.....I heard today that Wentz only was the starting QB one year, but injured his hand that year....not sure if this is true as i have not verified it yet, but Goff is the more experienced guy...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
better to me than Lynch ever was.

Rawls did well until his injury, but better than Lynch ever was?
cute-smiley-says-no-emoticon.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I also don't get the comparison between Russell Wilson and Wentz...RW is a squat elusive QB, while Wentz is this big athletic QB prospect. I do like Wentz and he may be the man Fisher goes for......but Goff is more NFL ready right now, even though he didn't play in a Pro Style Offense like Wentz did...But the level of competiktion, starting time as a QB, overcoming adversity, quick release accurate throws (because his Oline was nonexistant) favors Goff. Aside for a seperated shoulder in his freshman year, Goff was durable. If we pick him, the guy will be a regular in the weight room I am sure.....I heard today that Wentz only was the starting QB one year, but injured his hand that year....not sure if this is true as i have not verified it yet, but Goff is the more experienced guy...

Wentz was a 2 year starter and in the program 5 years. So, his familiarity with pro style concepts is light years ahead of Goff. It's not even close.

The reason Wentz has 23 starts is because he broke his wrist on a freak play going out of bounds. He still fought his way back and played in the Championship game and led his team to the National Championship. With that broken wrist, even in going 10-22, iirc, he threw some ridiculous throws including one sideline throw that is easily a top 10 NFL QB throw. With a broken wrist.

Yes, the good news with Goff is that he was in a program that preferred yoga to weight training because he has a digestive defect in how he processes proteins which made it nearly impossible to put on additional muscle mass. A weight training program with such a defect would have put him in nutritional distress and likely would have led to injury. So, in that respect, Cal was the perfect place for him even if his OL made it uncomfortable. However, just saying "he can put on weight" isn't accurate. For a QB who's never really been in a weight program before, integrating a weight program isn't a slam dunk. It's a transition and no transition is guaranteed. Will it be difficult? I doubt it. That said, it's important to understand that there are time elements that can't be sloughed off. His body type is asking to be battered in the NFL, especially because he's not bulked up. Warner tried going the leaner Pilates route and after the season, he said it was the worst he'd ever felt. That bulk makes a difference. Asking a LB to add 10-15 lbs isn't any big deal. He's likely been hangin' and bangin' in weight rooms since HS or earlier. Asking a QB who's never been a lifter to go into an NFL weight room and put on that weight in muscle is a MUCH bigger deal because that weight can't affect his throwing or ball (flight) mechanics, footwork, speed, or flexibility, . To add that much muscle without losing anything takes TIME and a PLAN. I fully believe Goff can and will do it. But it won't be before September. If anything, it's Goff who's going to need a year to sit and learn. That's just what's real. He may have been playing behind a crap OL, but he wasn't playing Seattle, SF or AZ 6 times a year. The 20 lb difference between Wentz and Goff at the NFL level is massive.

When it comes to experience, I acknowledge that Goff has played 3 years to Wentz's 2. That said, there are other factors. Wentz has 5 years depth in a pro system to Goff's zero. As well, QBs play in a system. Goff played in a Bear Raid spread system that was going to generate a lot of pass attempts. Many of those pass attempts bear no relation to the NFL game and when it comes to evaluating talent, don't yield any meaningful information. If they did, guys like Timmy Chang and others from similar systems who've put up similar or better numbers would be populating the NFL in greater numbers. Rather, it is the other things Goff does and does well that put him near the top and require consideration. So rather than "experience" per se (we've got 2 of the top 10 all time NCAA yardage leaders on the team already including the all-time NCAA leader in Case Keenum), better to focus on what makes each of them special. And rest assured, they both are special.

I would agree with the several evaluators who graded them both ahead of Winston and Mariotta. I agree. I like them both better. I know many don't. Well, I think Winston was more ready than Goff right away, but over all, yeah.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz was a 2 year starter and in the program 5 years. So, his familiarity with pro style concepts is light years ahead of Goff. It's not even close.

The reason Wentz has 23 starts is because he broke his wrist on a freak play going out of bounds. He still fought his way back and played in the Championship game and led his team to the National Championship. With that broken wrist, even in going 10-22, iirc, he threw some ridiculous throws including one sideline throw that is easily a top 10 NFL QB throw. With a broken wrist.

Yes, the good news with Goff is that he was in a program that preferred yoga to weight training because he has a digestive defect in how he processes proteins which made it nearly impossible to put on additional muscle mass. A weight training program with such a defect would have put him in nutritional distress and likely would have led to injury. So, in that respect, Cal was the perfect place for him even if his OL made it uncomfortable. However, just saying "he can put on weight" isn't accurate. For a QB who's never really been in a weight program before, integrating a weight program isn't a slam dunk. It's a transition and no transition is guaranteed. Will it be difficult? I doubt it. That said, it's important to understand that there are time elements that can't be sloughed off. His body type is asking to be battered in the NFL, especially because he's not bulked up. Warner tried going the leaner Pilates route and after the season, he said it was the worst he'd ever felt. That bulk makes a difference. Asking a LB to add 10-15 lbs isn't any big deal. He's likely been hangin' and bangin' in weight rooms since HS or earlier. Asking a QB who's never been a lifter to go into an NFL weight room and put on that weight in muscle is a MUCH bigger deal because that weight can't affect his throwing or ball (flight) mechanics, footwork, speed, or flexibility, . To add that much muscle without losing anything takes TIME and a PLAN. I fully believe Goff can and will do it. But it won't be before September. If anything, it's Goff who's going to need a year to sit and learn. That's just what's real. He may have been playing behind a crap OL, but he wasn't playing Seattle, SF or AZ 6 times a year. The 20 lb difference between Wentz and Goff at the NFL level is massive.

When it comes to experience, I acknowledge that Goff has played 3 years to Wentz's 2. That said, there are other factors. Wentz has 5 years depth in a pro system to Goff's zero. As well, QBs play in a system. Goff played in a Bear Raid spread system that was going to generate a lot of pass attempts. Many of those pass attempts bear no relation to the NFL game and when it comes to evaluating talent, don't yield any meaningful information. If they did, guys like Timmy Chang and others from similar systems who've put up similar or better numbers would be populating the NFL in greater numbers. Rather, it is the other things Goff does and does well that put him near the top and require consideration. So rather than "experience" per se (we've got 2 of the top 10 all time NCAA yardage leaders on the team already including the all-time NCAA leader in Case Keenum), better to focus on what makes each of them special. And rest assured, they both are special.

I would agree with the several evaluators who graded them both ahead of Winston and Mariotta. I agree. I like them both better. I know many don't. Well, I think Winston was more ready than Goff right away, but over all, yeah.
I like Wentz a lot, but it seems to me you are giving too little weight in the competition (or the lack thereof.)..Neither player has faced NFL speed, but I would think Division 1 is much closer to it that the diivision Wentz was in. Goff played on a crap team and still made it better....Wentz played on a Championship team that didn't need him to keep winning after his injury. Yes Wentz was in a pro style offense, but some of the things he got away with in college won't fly in the Pro's. Some have said that he focuses on targets too much, which DB's will love to feast on unless he changes...You can name some other tendencies that Goff will have to change as well, but it's hard to teach what Goff naturally does..getting the ball out FAST and accurately in a catchable ball (placed where it should be). I think Goff would start after a few games, or until Keenum breaks down.......

also....remember:

1. Jared Goff : Height 6-4 , weight 215 lbs
2. Joe Montana : Height 6-2 , weight 205 lbs
3. Tom Brady : Height 6-4 , weight 211 lbs
4. Drew Brees : Height 6-0 , weight 213 lbs

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, both played in Division I, NDSU was in Div IAA. They still played Div I ball and generally beat the Div I teams they faced as most years they were close to undefeated. Lots of it is scheduling, but they played 3 teams from the Big Sky conference which is Div IA and went 2-1, losing to Montana 38-35 and defeating Weber State 41-14 and North Dakota 34-9. Wentz doesn't play defense any more than Goff does so I really try to evaluate QBs on what they do and can do and less on things that have nothing to do with them.

Remember, Joe, Tom and Drew weren't injured...until they were. Drew was injured badly and San Diego wasn't sure he would recover. Enough so that they traded him away. Joe Montana lost a season to a bad injury and was traded away as Steve Young supplanted him. Tom Brady lost a season to injury and Matt Cassel still led the Pats to an 11-5 record.

And while I appreciate those body type comparisons, you're using first ballot Hall of Famers with exceptionally quick releases and among the best QB processing to ever play the game. I don't think you can just put Goff in that company and say, "SEE?! These first ballot Hall of Famers with similar body types only got creamed and missed one season, but otherwise did fine! Goff's the man!"

Pretty sure you can't really say that. I mean, you can... but were I inclined I'm sure I could dig up some less flattering examples of 215 lb QBs who didn't set the NFL on fire...

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

there was no comparison between Russel and Wentz, I said they are both system quarterbacks and Wents would be a perfect fit for our system, like Wilson was for the Seahawks.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wentz di Break his wrist. But then he came back and Won the Championship game!!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The big difference is the Rams are going to be getting a better QB than seatle has.

ABRam

UDFA
Other similarity to past Seahawks teams is getting our franchise QB on a rookie contract for 5 years. Helped the Hawks save $12-15M for other positions until they had to pay Wilson.