This one time I totally agree with Richard Sherman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
Heh sounds like Sherman is feeling the heat for essentially being gift wrapped a win last week with that no call.

Tired of being questioned about getting away with penalties that win your team the game? Lets talk about how that penalty should be only 15 yards instead of a game sealer:blah:

That stupid play at the end of the game on Julio Jones is exactly WHY the penalty is a spot foul. Grabbing a dudes arm on a play like that isn't just a 15 yard penalty. It will look like college and one of the things I hate from the college game is that very penalty and then of course the announcers gibbering on about how it was a smart play to take the 15.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think the better thing to do instead of altering the rule book would be to make Refs fulltime employees. Give them the proper training to make these calls consistently, Also hold them accountable. If they blow X amount of calls they get taken off active duty for more training or just cut from the squad.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
If you want players to stop committing PI then keep DPI a spot foul if there are other defenders between the receiver and the end zone, but if not make it a spot foul at the one, or a TD. A DPI in the end zone would be an automatic TD. Pushoff OPIs with the defender facing the receiver would stay the same. OPIs would result in a turnover at the LOS if the defender had turned his head and actually had a play on the ball. But this would require excellent officiating to make these calls fair, and not the incompetent &/or bias officiating that exists now.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the offensive advantage with the current rules about pass interference (spot at place of foul), is replaced with mandatory mugging of any WR that might get a TD catch, with only a 15 yard penalty?

Yeah..no.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think the offensive pass interference should match defensive. If you prevent a db from catching an interception and your 20 yards down the field, -20 yard penalty. No reason offense should get off easy saving their own butts. Spot of the fouls for defense, reverse spot of the foul for offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Penalizing a team 40 or 50 yards for a pass interference penalty and affecting the outcome of a game is ridiculous. It should be a 15 yard penalty. Give the defensive backs some more leeway to engage with receivers, instead of penalizing them over and over and affecting the flow of the game. This is how it was done back in the day and it worked just fine.
******************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-be-15-yard-penalty-for-offense-and-defense/

Richard Sherman wants pass interference to be 15-yard penalty for offense and defense
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on October 20, 2016

488069814-e1476939704301.jpg
Getty Images

Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman absolutely interfered with Falcons receiver Julio Jones on Atlanta’s final offensive play Sunday. However, the flag never came out and Seattle was able to hold on for a 26-24 victory over the Falcons.

But if Sherman had his way with the rule book, the would-be penalty wouldn’t have been nearly as significant to the game’s outcome as it would have been under current rules.

Sherman believes pass interference should be a 15-yard penalty, and not a spot foul, for both offensive and defensive interference penalties.

“I’d make it 15 yards like college,” Sherman said Wednesday. “I’d make both 15 yards, offensive and defensive, because it’s not as much of a penalty. An offensive player can stop a turnover and it’s a 10-yard penalty and they might still get the first down. A defensive player, they can say, ‘Oh, he was about to stop a touchdown,’ so they give him a spot foul. That’s the difference.”

NCAA rules have pass interference as a 15-yard penalty for both offense and defense with defensive pass interference being a spot foul up to 15 yards.The current rules have offensive pass interference as a 10-yard penalty and defensive pass interference as a spot foul.

With Atlanta facing fourth-and-10 and needing to go at least 35 yards to get into field goal range with less than two minutes to play, Matt Ryan basically threw up a jump ball to Jones in the middle of the field where he was covered by Sherman and Earl Thomas. If the flag had been thrown, it would have been approximately a 37-yard penalty, which would have given the Falcons a likely chance to win the game on a field goal.

Sherman feels that the penalty is disproportionately weighted in the offense’s favor, especially when receivers can maul a defensive back in prime position for an interception with the only penalty being 10 yards and the chance to continue their possession.

“That’s the league you play in. Fourth-and-10 for the game, they can just throw one up and hope for a flag. Then you deal with that at the end. It is what it is and we won the game,” Sherman said.

Under Sherman’s scenario (with the penalty actually called), the Falcons would have had the ball at their own 40-yard line with around 90 seconds to play. It’s still a significant penalty assessed against Seattle’s defense but it wouldn’t have completely flipped field position on one play. Because of the spot foul part of the equation, it may also lead officials to not want to “bail out” a desperation jump ball opportunity with such a penal flag.

Sherman also doesn’t believe pass interference should be a reviewable penalty.

“If you watched every offensive snap of the line play in slow motion, it would look like a hold of some sort or hands to the face,” Sherman said. “You know, it’s just football. If you replay everything then it’s going to be on every play, every play on the line, every play on the secondary you can call, a penalty anytime, on both sides of the ball.”

Anyone else find this picture to be ironic? That was blatant PI and the refs didn't call it.

Why is Sherman bitching? Refs let him get away with murder.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Anyone else find this picture to be ironic? That was blatant PI and the refs didn't call it.

Certainly not the first time I've seen blatant PI against him that wasn't called, bullshit how the refs create an unfair playing field. Human nature should be trained out of these highly paid pieces to the NFL puzzle.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yet another reason we need FULL TIME REFS. I'm shouting I know.

We do, though. We need a full off-season of the entire refereeing crew training TOGETHER in the same place so that they can have a better handle on not only the latest rule changes and the current points of emphasis, but we need the CONSISTENCY that comes from every one of the refs have a consistent understanding of how each rule is implemented, not just in a classroom setting, but also because they've drilled it in training scenarios All off-season.

Can any fan say that they prefer "home cooking" and NBA style refereeing to simple, straightforward, consistent refereeing that is impartial to popularity or venue?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Keep it the way it is.

The LAST thing this game needs is more penalties, which is what would happen if DB's didn't fear the penalty yards.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yet another reason we need FULL TIME REFS. I'm shouting I know.

We do, though. We need a full off-season of the entire refereeing crew training TOGETHER in the same place so that they can have a better handle on not only the latest rule changes and the current points of emphasis, but we need the CONSISTENCY that comes from every one of the refs have a consistent understanding of how each rule is implemented, not just in a classroom setting, but also because they've drilled it in training scenarios All off-season.

Can any fan say that they prefer "home cooking" and NBA style refereeing to simple, straightforward, consistent refereeing that is impartial to popularity or venue?

Totally agree. Have them spend the offseason studying and training to be better at what they do and then hold them accountable when they screw up. Fine them, bench them, fire them. I don't care as long as this part of the NFL improves. Simplifying the rules would help as well.

On a side note: it appears that Sherman and I are in the minority here...which is fine I guess...

bastards.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Classic misdirection.
"Hey, do you know you committed P.I. on that play?"
"You know what would be great? If P.I. was only 15 yards instead of a spot foul."
"That's an interesting take. Let's talk about that instead!"

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So every coach will be telling their defense that once the receiver is beyond 15 yards, tackle him if you have to just don't let him get near the ball. Yeah, that would work.