this off season is time for a total rebuild.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
McVay has done pretty well this year IMO. A few stinkers, but in large part, where the offense has succeeded, it's been largely due to some good schemeing IMO. We've had lots of bad drops this year that have killed drives, or even cost us TDs dropping balls in the end zone or just failing to make the tough catch in the end zone. There is nothing McVay can do about that. Puka in particular should have a few more TDs, as good as he has been as a rookie. I am a big Higbee fan but he seems to have lost his inability to catch lately.

I'd 100% keep McVay barring an absolutely elite coach somehow becoming available. He's a very good coach. But also overrated IMO, with a select few flaws that unfortunately are so easy to exploit they become borderline fatal in my view despite an otherwise great coaching mind - almost like an achilles heel on the mighty fighter.

It is ironic that McVay is so quick to move off players that are good, but not as good as the alternatives that are out there. Cut throat, win at all costs, never being afraid to move off even a talented commodity. If a top 3 coach somehow becomes available I think the Rams should cast McVay off in heartbeat. The problem is those guys rarely do hit the market, and McVay is quite good, so it's not easy to upgrade. I'd definitely take Reid, Shanahan (they are close, but when Shanny routinely owns McVay it is hard not to give him the edge), or Harbaugh over McVay for sure (the Ravens are perpetually crippled by injuries yet always among the league's elite despite playing in a tougher AFC - the Rams would be in total meltdown mode if we had the Ravens' injury luck over the past few years). I'd place McVay in the same tier as Tomlin, Pederson, and yes, Pete Carroll, that always who the Seahawks in the mix regardless of the roster and seems to have executed a re-build in only 1 season which is something McVay has been unable to execute. I'd still take him about Pete though. Not sure on Tomlin and Pederson. All in all, McVay is anywhere from 4th to 7th best in the NFL IMO. It's hard to improve on that. Some might argue for Sirianni but I want to see him him without a stacked roster.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reality is McVay is 7-3 in the playoffs! Holy crap! Who wouldn't want that coach?
Mike Tomlin is 8-9.

McVay is so much better than he gets credit after a loss.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
What a big baby.
Rebuilds happen and Sean is far and away the best coach we have ever had.
Not perfect, just the best.
I said last week after PITT, anybody calling for McVay to be fired should be forced, whether they were unfortunate enough to live through it in real-time or not, to watch every single Ram game from 1990-1998 and 2004-2016.

You are 1000%, totally and completely correct. He is simply the best coach ever in the modern history of the franchise.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Debatable (IMO)

So you think it's normal for a HC to make two Super Bowls and win one?

Do you know the list of Rams head coaches who have taken us to two Super Bowls? It's a short one....there's one name on it.

And we have a long and storied history, with a ton of hall of famers and individual record holders.

And the list of HCs who have taken two different QBs to a Super Bowl in NFL history - also a short one.

But we wouldn't be in for a reality check when McVay moves on?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

Do you know the list of Rams head coaches who have taken us to two Super Bowls? It's a short one....there's one name on it.

And we have a long and storied history, with a ton of hall of famers and individual record holders.

And the list of HCs who have taken two different QBs to a Super Bowl in NFL history - also a short one.

Yep. Short lists all the way around...historically who are the other HCs that have taken their franchises to 2 SBs in 5 years?

NYCRam

Rookie

Not necessarily, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.