This man survived the World Trade Center falling on him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

joeybittick

Rookie
Hey guys,

I have been given a great honor. I have been asked to help Pasquale and Louise Buzzelli tell their story. Pasqualle was in the World Trade Center during the 9/11 attacks. He was on the 64th floor when the plane hit his building, and was on the 22nd floor when the building came down. Miraculously he was one of 16 people who survived that day.

They have been trying to write a book about what happened for years, but they have been crapped on by the media and the business. Apparently their story is not "hot" enough and according to the publishers, people are only interested in 9/11 on the landmark anniversaries. Please help me show them that is not the case by visiting their website http://www.911survivor.com/

There are links to articles and videos about that day and life after the attacks. There are also links discussing their charity to help 9/11 widows. Even if I was not working on this project, I would tell you guys that the Buzzelli's may be the sweetest most genuine people I have had the honor of meeting. So please, if you get the time, check out their website:

http://www.911survivor.com/

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
How can I learn more about why media and publishers are not interested in their story? I'd like to hear the backstory, if possible.

joeybittick

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
How can I learn more about why media and publishers are not interested in their story? I'd like to hear the backstory, if possible.

I will be discussing that in depth in the book, but long story short... the story apparently was not "sexy" enough.

When they contacted People Magazine to ask for help plugging the charity they started for 9/11 widows (of which 100% of the money raised goes DIRECTLY to the widows, the Buzzelli's do not take a penny), People Mag asked them how much they had raised. Louise told them $10,000. People's response?

"We only publish success stories, call us when you are successful and have raised $50,000-$100,000."

It seems major media outlets only want to discuss 9/11 when they can capitalize on people's emotions. For some reason they do not feel that the story of a man surviving hell is interesting to people. I don't understand it.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer to the question, but we only know that the media has told them they are not interested except for on the anniversaries.

But now I think they have found the right people, because now they have a publisher and a major movie company interested. Their hope is that they can raise awareness and money for the widows who lost their husbands, because Louise was unbelievably close to being one.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
interference said:

Speaking as a writer, it's extremely difficult to get your own work published. Publishers see the same thing all the time, and they want something that creates a buzz, something that nobody else has seen before. If you already have a foot in the door via connections (which normally take a while to build up), publishers are going to notice your story. If you've already published a book, they'll naturally graviate toward your work. However, publishers tend to reject almost every story written by a new writer, especially when connections aren't forged. Even the most famous authors go through a period of rejection.

You know Stephen King? Probably the most recognized horror writer of all time. He tried to publish a short story in a magazine once. He nailed all of the rejection letters he received with a thumbtack. Eventually, he had to use a railroad spike to nail them all down because there were too many rejection letters. And this was just trying to publish a short story in a magazine. Novels and autobiographies are infinitely harder to publish.

J.K. Rowling? The writer of the Harry Potter series who is now a billionaire? The first publisher who she sent her manuscript to threw it in the garbage without even looking at it.

The too-long/didn't-read version? Publishers are going to look for the very best stories they can find, and everyone will get rejected at some point.

I wouldn't know anything about the media, though.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
joeybittick said:
interference said:

I will be discussing that in depth in the book, but long story short... the story apparently was not "sexy" enough.
Just curious, are you Ghost writing the book?

joeybittick said:
It seems major media outlets only want to discuss 9/11 when they can capitalize on people's emotions. For some reason they do not feel that the story of a man surviving hell is interesting to people. I don't understand it.
My guess is that their story will propagate HOPE, not FEAR. I'd think that small radio stations across the county would be interested in this story, and there are plenty of them that reach sizeable loyal audiences.

joeybittick

Rookie
interference said:
joeybittick said:
interference said:

joeybittick said:
My guess is that their story will propagate HOPE, not FEAR. I'd think that small radio stations across the county would be interested in this story, and there are plenty of them that reach sizeable loyal audiences.

I am co-authoring it.

And I agree with you completely.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
joeybittick said:
interference said:
joeybittick said:
interference said:

joeybittick said:

I am co-authoring it.

And I agree with you completely.
Congrats on the co-authorship... that's awesome and I'm extremely impressed. I had no idea we had that level of talent here.

joeybittick

Rookie
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking some time to look at their website. They will be upgrading it in the coming months to make it a bit more professional looking, but I appreciate you guys supporting them in the meantime. :clap: