This is why I expect Stafford to retire in 2024 if not before

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
I don’t expect Stafford to retire this offseason.

I have no present expectations for 2024.

Rumors based on unsourced reports of random sportswriters are stupid.
Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent
i hold Stafford in highest regard, but will he last the season with our current offensive lineman? I really have doubts.
train

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Well you could over analyze it, but, if Stafford isn't throwing again this off season during OTA's and camp then that is a very bad sign for the upcoming season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I wouldn't be surprised at all, if Stafford retired after '24.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After Stafford and Kupp teamed up to carry the offense through a Super Bowl win, who thought Stafford was done?

The premise is total bullshit.

He was throwing just fine in the limited amount of work he did in camp.

The shitshow we saw along the Oline got him beat up. He most likely could have played down the stretch if the games were meaningful and we’d have never seen Mayfield in horns.

Guaranteed 31 and he’s going to give it up? Yeah, I don’t think so.

Believing and using anything TST puts out is irresponsible, to use their term.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Stafford has a lot to prove this year to be top qb. funny how we are in qb purgatory again. thought we had a diamond in the rough with Goff. go rams!

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Except that Stafford said himself that he’s already coming back…

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good grief, this shit again?
Couldnt throw last off season? Like the day after he had cleanup surgery on his elbow?
All nonsense.
Here's the fact of the matter, if the Rams have any intention of moving on from Stafford, we will know in the next week, because that's when an additional 57 mill is guaranteed.
1678214920337.png

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Larry Brown Sports

"Troubling report emerges about Mathew Stafford" by Steve DelVeccio

Article posted on MSN about 1/2 hr ago "some people not convinced Stafford well enough to play this season" Matthew Berry of NBC Sports at Combine "One source tells me Staford could barely throw last year" "retirement still not out of the question" "Spinal cord injury still in question" at least one doctor believes.

Jeez, still early in the offseason and the clickbait already in full bloom. Gonna be a long offseason.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Except that Stafford said himself that he’s already coming back…

So Snead and McVay have no say in the matter? I think they will be considerate as is their history. But they also must be pragmatic. I think for cap reasons Stafford stays the starter for as long as he lasts in 2023. But the cap allows the Rams to make a change in QBs in 2024. Stafford said he's coming back in 2023 with nothing said about beyond this year.

Ultimately the Rams decide who starts at QB1. The most troubling issue with Stafford is his tendonitis, which is a chronic issue. We saw it in the Super Bowl when he missed a wide open Jefferson in the end zone for the go ahead TD and he missed him badly. In another play, I forget what game it was, but he badly under threw a TD pass to Jefferson that was an INT. Last season Stafford only started 9 games and threw 10 TDs with 8 INTs. He went 3-6 in those games. Don't tell me he was okay last year.

Even without Mayfield, the Rams need to be preparing to have to make a change at QB1. I don't see Stafford playing every game for the next two seasons. He'd be lucky to play this coming season injury free. That is a bet I wouldn't take if I were Snead. IMO the Rams told Stafford if he is healthy he can be the starter this coming season. But what happens if he can't get medical clearance to play with his spinal contusion? What would the Ram's plan B be?

FA starts on 3/15 a week from tomorrow. Ramsey is likely to be a post June 1 designation. This is why Wagner and now Floyd will probably be released or traded to make cap room at the start of the new season. But we will know Jalen's trade info soon. As we will know Mayfield's decision as well.

All this just keeps the off season interesting. As fans all we can do is read tea leaves.

Ellard80

Legend
This article is absolute trash... people can now just say random shit based on nothing and its "news"

He had no trouble throwing last year lol.... he had trouble not getting his ass handed to him in 3 secs....

nothing but click bait.

If you want to contend this is his last year okay... but attaching this nothing article doesn't help anyone's case.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think for cap reasons Stafford stays the starter for as long as he lasts in 2023. But the cap allows the Rams to make a change in QBs in 2024. Stafford said he's coming back in 2023 with nothing said about beyond this year.
You arent paying attention
Stafford is about to be guaranteed 31 Mill for the 2024 season
The cap most certainly does NOT allow for a change in 2024, especially if they sign a QB now who signs a 1st year, cap-friendly deal

brucebruce

Rookie
If Mayfield is the Rams' QB1, they might as well tank for better draft positions. If OL is in shambles then Stafford will be ineffective. Fix the OL and Stafford is a top NFL QB.

Ram65

Legend
I stated before that Stafford's time could be limited considering his injury history, age, family, and financial security.

I've been saying the Rams need to remodel quickly as we don't know how long Stafford's window will be open. I expect him to come in ready to go until we get a valid report otherwise. Rams need to get him protection to help him stay healthy ASAP.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well you could over analyze it, but, if Stafford isn't throwing again this off season during OTA's and camp then that is a very bad sign for the upcoming season.
Stafford was throwing in Camp last year.

Not during the abbreviated off-season or OTAs ...because of the elbow procedure.

However, in Training Camp, Stafford was frequently filmed throwing in 7-on-7s

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Why would Stafford retire? Even if he has a bad arm and can't throw well, he simply shows up to camp and collects his guaranteed $$$$. It puts the ball in the Rams court to either cut him or IR him. Either way, Stafford gets his $$$$. Retiring would be profoundly stupid and Stafford is definitely not stupid.