This is the second time Williams has had back to back gooseeggs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Has there ever been a team to do it 3 weeks in a row?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has there ever been a team to do it 3 weeks in a row?

In the olden times

Most Consecutive Shutout Games Won or Tied
13Akron, 1920-21 (won 10, tied 3)
7Pottsville, 1926 (won 6, tied 1)
Detroit, 1934 (won 7)
6Buffalo, 1920-21 (won 5, tied 1)
Frankford, 1926 (won 6)
Detroit, 1926 (won 4, tied 2)
N.Y. Giants, 1926-27 (won 5, tied 1)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In the olden times

Most Consecutive Shutout Games Won or Tied
13Akron, 1920-21 (won 10, tied 3)
7Pottsville, 1926 (won 6, tied 1)
Detroit, 1934 (won 7)
6Buffalo, 1920-21 (won 5, tied 1)
Frankford, 1926 (won 6)
Detroit, 1926 (won 4, tied 2)
N.Y. Giants, 1926-27 (won 5, tied 1)

Yeah but that's back when a blowout was 10-3. (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yep, only the 1970 Cards and 1976 Steelers

Oh, and before anyone gets on the "yeabut" trip, the Steelers 3 shutouts in a row all came against teams with losing records, too. So, it wasn't like they dominated playoff teams to get their shutout, either. One of their 5 shutouts for the season came against the 0-14 Buccaneers who were historically inept.

Just for historical perspective.

What the Rams have done is historic and especially in this current environment where the rules so favor the offense, for ANY defense to pitch consecutive shutouts is fantastic.

I don't recall Seattle pitching consecutive shutouts with their stifling D... and they've played almost our same schedule...

Big Unit

UDFA
Wonder how many times the Raiders and then Redskins were inside the Rams' red zone. Did either team even try a field goal?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Iirc, until the fourth quarter, the Raiders hadn't gotten past their own 33. THAT's how good our D was.

They eventually did get past the 50, but not into the RZ. Again, iirc. My brain is rather rapidly turning to jello. Caught the cold/flu from my #$%^@#$ son who ALWAYS gives me the plague. I love him with all my heart, but if this turns to pneumonia... I'm gonna turn him into a 6'4" pretzel...

Wonder how many times the Raiders and then Redskins were inside the Rams' red zone. Did either team even try a field goal?

The Broncos, Raiders and Redskins combined for 0 plays inside our red zone, they did run plays inside our 30, all with one drive each, we forced a turn over on all 3 drives, a turn over on downs, a sack/fumble and an interception.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Redskins were in field goal range towards the end of the game but McCoy threw another interception.

Yep, only the 1970 Cards and 1976 Steelers

Oh, and before anyone gets on the "yeabut" trip, the Steelers 3 shutouts in a row all came against teams with losing records, too. So, it wasn't like they dominated playoff teams to get their shutout, either. One of their 5 shutouts for the season came against the 0-14 Buccaneers who were historically inept.

Just for historical perspective.

What the Rams have done is historic and especially in this current environment where the rules so favor the offense, for ANY defense to pitch consecutive shutouts is fantastic.

I don't recall Seattle pitching consecutive shutouts with their stifling D... and they've played almost our same schedule...

During the 70s there were 158 shut outs, in the 10 years prior to this on there were 66, so our two games is equivalent to 4.788 in old money...or something like that.

Penguin.

Rookie
I don't care about a lot of stats, but there are some important ones.

Turnovers
Plays inside the redzone
Scores against

Right now, we are dominating those categories. And a shit ton of other ones. Our defense is playing lights out. It's so exciting.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
And its only the beginning this defense is young,athletic,very fast and physical and they have arrived.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Williams has ever had the talent he's got right now. The job he did in Nawlins was amazing but their roster couldn't touch this one. It's almost scary how good this defense might become man, especially if they can tool up the LB depth a little bit.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO the thing that prevents shutouts these days more than anything is the range of the FG kickers seems almost every team has a kicker who can kick it out of the endzone FROM the 35 ,30 years ago it rarely happened kicking from the 40. There are easily 10 kickers in the league today who could challenge the record for longest FG and kick them in pregame warmups frequently.

I was never so happy to see a sack than when they dumped RG Sunday and took the Rojoderm out of FG range preserving the shutout