This is a deep draft class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
THIS IS A DEEP DRAFT CLASS, WITH WIDE RECEIVER AND OFFENSIVE TACKLE AS TWO OF THE STRONGEST POSITIONS.

When the Ravens get into the late rounds of next week's NFL Draft, General Manager Ozzie Newsome will have a larger than normal pool of players on the board in front of him.

NFL executives and draft experts agree that the 2014 class is a deep group and the Ravens have about 180 players they consider draftable prospects.

"Some years we have 150; some years we've had 140. We have about 180 now," Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta said. "Certainly, we won't be picking [all] those guys, but our scouts have deemed those guys as draftable."

The positions of strength are considered wide receiver, offensive tackle and quarterback. NFL Network's lead draft analyst Mike Mayock expects six receivers to get drafted in the first round and he has 10 quarterbacks graded as 1-3 round picks, which is the most he's ever had.

The Ravens front office agrees with the quality at those positions.

"I think wideout is very deep," DeCosta said. "You've got a lot of really good players, probably 15 receivers that I think are very, very good players. I think tackle is good. You have the top four guys that are going to be high picks. Most likely all four of those guys are going to be gone before we pick. I would say those two positions are pretty good."

This year's draft class was aided by a huge influx of underclassmen who decided to leave school early. A record 103 underclassmen declared for this year's draft, giving the group much more depth than prior years.

Some NFL executives, including Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert, have said this year's draft is the best they have ever seen.

Newsome and the Ravens brass said time will make that determination.

"I understand what everybody is saying about [the draft quality], but from my perspective, three years later we'll make a determination how strong this draft is," Newsome said.

"I would say it's deep if you draft the right players." DeCosta said. "That's the challenge. There are a lot of players in this draft; we just have to draft the right guys."

The deep group not only gives the Ravens more options on the third day of the draft, but it also increases the importance after the final pick is made. Teams around the league work to recruit players from the undrafted pool of free agents, and there will likely be several of the Ravens' "draftable" prospects in that category.

"That tells me that if we're doing our jobs, we should do a really nice job in undrafted free agency, because we're going to target a lot of those guys that we think are good players that don't get drafted and try to add those guys after the draft," DeCosta said.

"But we've got to recruit those guys, we've got to sign those guys and that's the challenge. They'll be available. We just have to get the guys we want to get."

http://www.noodls.com/view/0D86F685B52D83460DA59F90C2426C393DD4B314?8169xxx1399127974

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Based on this report draft pick trades that remove you from the 2014 top 100 for a future unknown pick in 2015 just so you could have an extra pick sounds very UNwise. Best to play long and hard NOW in 2014. Chances are very good that next yrs draft could be shallower than most. Last draft we had 7 picks. In this deep draft we have 12 picks. Last draft we were done at the end of the 5th round. This draft we have to play to the very end in the 7th round.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
But then again how many starters can we "upgrade" next year. This year I think the draft can upgrade 5 (FS, OLB, OG, OT and possibly FB...or as some refer to them as H-Back). Now it's not like several of those positions guys played decent last year. It's just we can get better w/ a selection here or there. And get depth that would take care of positions we might need for next year (OT, DT that we know of.....). And then next year we would be drafting for depth more than need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But then again how many starters can we "upgrade" next year. This year I think the draft can upgrade 5 (FS, OLB, OG, OT and possibly FB...or as some refer to them as H-Back). Now it's not like several of those positions guys played decent last year. It's just we can get better w/ a selection here or there. And get depth that would take care of positions we might need for next year (OT, DT that we know of.....). And then next year we would be drafting for depth more than need.

Morning bomebadeeda,

No way to know next years upgrades but as far as this years top five upgrades we need :

#1- a ready to go Swing OT to replace Chris Williams & Rodger Saffold.
#2- a ready to start OG to replace 3 departing OG's Harvey Dahl, Shelley Smith & Chris Williams.
#3- CB/an upgrade over last seasons main Nickle Back safety Rodney McLeod.
#4- Upgrade in a reserve QB replacing Clemens & Davis.
#5- Upgrade the FS talent replacing last seasons safeties Giordano & Stewart.

OT,OG,CB,QB & FS

If we can come out of this 2014 draft using our 12 selections to provide this Ram team with the above upgrades things will be moving right on time.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Morning bomebadeeda,

No way to know next years upgrades but as far as this years top five upgrades we need :

#2- a ready to start OG to replace 3 departing OG's Harvey Dahl, Shelley Smith & Chris Williams.

OT,OG,CB,QB & FS

If we can come out of this 2014 draft using our 12 selections to provide this Ram team with the above upgrades things will be moving right on time.

I think FS. And I know we will probably get an OLB (but then again Ray Ray could get the opportunity....), OG and possibly a starter or at least a swing OT..... and I think there's a guy out there who could upgrade our H-Back (Trey Millard....) who culd come late in the draft. And Harkey could move to the "blocking" TE. And then depth @ CB, DT, Oline and QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Morning bomebadeeda,

OT,OG,CB,QB & FS

This draft done right about 10 new faces. Another RB, Add Dunbars replacement, another CB for depth, a second G. The rest to upgrade the depth. A lot of competition in camp this year and that's a good thing.