'This is a beautiful challenge': The Rams are all-in on their youth movement in 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

'This is a beautiful challenge': The Rams are all-in on their youth movement in 2023​

Brian Paget
Staff writer
Thu, Jul 27, 2023, 1:57 PM GMT+10·3 min read

IRVINE, Calif. — After an offseason of retirement speculation, Sean McVay showed no shortage of energy at the Los Angeles Rams’ first practice of training camp Wednesday.

From the start, the Rams head coach was active and animated, bouncing around from drill to drill and injecting extra intensity anywhere he could.

But in 2023, it’s not the chase of a Lombardi Trophy that is fueling McVay. Rather, it is the youthful energy, the fresh faces and the newfound competition, all of which was on full display Wednesday.

“That’s why you get into this [job]. It’s to try to help these guys,” McVay said of the opportunity to coach so many young players this year. “This is a beautiful challenge for us.”​

Beautiful for now at least.

For the team that championed the “F*** them picks” mantra, albeit successfully, the Rams have certainly changed their tune. Los Angeles followed up its Super Bowl victory with a dismal 5-12 season in 2022-23, sparking an offseason “remodel” that has left the Rams' roster gutted.

Moving on from key contributors such as Jalen Ramsey, Bobby Wagner, Leonard Floyd, Allen Robinson and Taylor Rapp, the new-look Rams consist of Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald and not much else when it comes to penciled-in starters.

With 14 draft picks and 26 undrafted free agents primed to battle for the many vacated roles, there will certainly be growing pains in 2023, but thus far, Los Angeles looks to be embracing this youth movement and all that comes with it.

“The beauty of this team, in general, is there truly is competition.” McVay said. “That’s something for us to really evaluate and be good about finding who are the best 11 guys on offense, defense, special teams.”

The competition, which has largely been absent in recent years as a result of the Rams’ previously star-studded, veteran-heavy roster has been a welcome addition.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford noted that it will “serve us well in the end,” and McVay added that it “brings out the best in guys.” The head coach even noted that this year's roster changes allowed for a more productive summer.

“What was great about [having so many young players] is we got an opportunity in the offseason to get a lot more work than what we normally would have or what we have since 2018,” McVay said.

As the familiarity and comfort grows, so does the already contagious energy that has seen a notable uptick from recent training camps.

“It’s fun. It’s wild. These young guys bring a bunch of juice,” Stafford said. “It’s fun to be around.”

Now, with guys settling in, the key for McVay and the Rams veterans will be to reestablish the culture that defined their recent run of contending teams. But they'll focus on doing so with an eye toward the future.

“You’re not gonna replace a Jalen Ramsey and the special player that he was for us. Nobody’s gonna be like Bobby Wagner,” McVay said. “But I want [the young players] to be the best versions of themselves, and if they do that, I am confident that good things can happen.”

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I’ve said it before…if we can find a few core pieces from the current crop of youngsters, next season (when we’ll presumably still have our big 3, plus draft picks and cap room to bolster the roster) will be epic.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I do expect the defense to have their growing pains. Missed tackles, blown coverages, out of position on run plays, etc. They're young. The complex NFL offenses are gonna confuse them at times. But it will all be part of the growing process. A year of experience and these guys will be better prepared next year.

If the Rams are gonna surprise us and contend it will have to be on the offensive side. The tools are there. Akers seems primed for a breakout year. Kupp and Jefferson can make for a good WR combo. The two new guys they signed could contribute. Tutu can be a legit deep threat. Skow is McVay's swiss army knife. Higbee is a solid NFL tight end.

The offense is where the experience is. The big question there is can the line stay healthy enough? I've been saying all along if they stay healthy the offense can return to form. To me, its all on the line. They determine the success or failure. Stay healthy and play well, they will contend. Injuries bite them again and they have trouble protecting Stafford, I see a repeat of 2022.