This doesn't bode well

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No, not at all. Considering the phrase "Famous Jameis" has his name in it, I don't think that's analogous. It would be more like her trademarking "Kim Kardashian's ass" and I don't think anyone should hold ill will towards her for doing that.

I'd say the guy has "succeeded" in real life. He won a National Championship, has a Heisman Trophy, and is about to be drafted in the top 10 picks if not #1. I'd feel pretty good about my life if I had accomplished all of that at 21 years old.

Being able to trademark a nickname is stupid? Not in my book.

As with everything else regarding this guy, I disagree with you. But luckily, it looks as if Tampa Bay is going to take this headache so it's all good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As with everything else regarding this guy, I disagree with you. But luckily, it looks as if Tampa Bay is going to take this headache so it's all good.

He'll certainly be a headache for the other three teams in the NFC South.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some people come into the NFL because they love, and want to play Football. Other's because they want to be rich and famous. I prefer to have the former on my Rams Team!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some people come into the NFL because they love, and want to play Football. Other's because they want to be rich and famous. I prefer to have the former on my Rams Team!!

And many players do it for both reasons.

Athos

Legend
I call dibs on Famous Shameis then, provided he doesn't get drafted by the Rams?!

What bastard is to say I'm even talking about him? Well, prove it. And good luck proving it in courts, ya wanker! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I grade this trademark shit on the lowest of the low of trivial lawsuits. Equal ground. It's a petpeeve that annoys the shit out of me.

Maybe I should get marginally famous and trademark "Fuck you!." I'd be racking in millions.

That's how dumb this practice is.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think it's a smart business move.

Of course, I say that knowing full well that I drug my feet and lost, "Let's Get Reeaaaaady to Rumble!" Kicking myself boys.
Yeah that one was a winner....much more than my attempt with "Lets prepare to participate!!".....never took off.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I have no problem with guys trademarking their nicknames. I don't think RGIII should have been granted the trademark of Robert Griffin III. Robert and Griffin aren't exactly unpopular names, I bet there are many Robert Griffin III's out there.

I think it's arrogant and egotistical, in the cases of Manziel, Griffin, and Winston, to trademark themselves before establishing themselves as stars in the NFL. So far they've talked a great game but playing it is a different beast.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This is a pretty trivial thing to hold against another person. A lot of overreacting in this thread.
Not really if you think someone is being a jackass it's perfectly fine to have an opinion. You happen to like him, so it's ok for you to have a differing opinion too.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Put me in the camp of, "This stuff annoys me".

Trump wanting to trademark, "You're fired!"

Uggh.

As for Winston--I can see him getting profits or a sort of trademark on his image and on his name. But nicknames or phrases just seems a bit silly to me.

I understand the argument for it but I just don't think his inability to trademark "Famous Jameis" would mean he could not profit in some way from his name and image.

Athos

Legend
Most players should do this. It has nothing to do with ego. It's protecting a individuals legal rights. Kinda stupid if a player doesn't. Any individual should have control of his name.
The NFL does it. The phrase Super Bowl is owned by the NFL. If there's money to be made of those words they will be the ones doing it.

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/201...ected-by-trademark-or-copyright-law-try-both/

By that respect, EVERYONE in the world should go for a trademark of their name.....that way, you can't call someone by their name without paying for it.

GENIUS!

Ima gonna try that. (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was leary of Winston after his defelcting all questions about his past in combine interviews by saying, 'That was in the past and I am only concerned with the future' It rings of someone who has not confronted his errors at all. It is eerily similar to a drug addict saying he doesn't have a problem. He is just moving forward. Thing is the problem is never dealt with. Winston was dismissive of his past. I would have preferred a different tact.

No this trademark stuff. Sure he was a success in college but so was Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Save the trademarking for when you accomplish something of note in the NFL. Winston has scared me off. He may still succeed but I have serious doubts about where his head is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was leary of Winston after his defelcting all questions about his past in combine interviews by saying, 'That was in the past and I am only concerned with the future' It rings of someone who has not confronted his errors at all. It is eerily similar to a drug addict saying he doesn't have a problem. He is just moving forward. Thing is the problem is never dealt with. Winston was dismissive of his past. I would have preferred a different tact.

No this trademark stuff. Sure he was a success in college but so was Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Save the trademarking for when you accomplish something of note in the NFL. Winston has scared me off. He may still succeed but I have serious doubts about where his head is.

He refused to address questions asked by teams about specific incidents?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No, not at all. Considering the phrase "Famous Jameis" has his name in it, I don't think that's analogous. It would be more like her trademarking "Kim Kardashian's ass" and I don't think anyone should hold ill will towards her for doing that.

I'd say the guy has "succeeded" in real life. He won a National Championship, has a Heisman Trophy, and is about to be drafted in the top 10 picks if not #1. I'd feel pretty good about my life if I had accomplished all of that at 21 years old.

Being able to trademark a nickname is stupid? Not in my book.

Whew! How many trademarks (or other marks) would it take to cover that big thang? :eek:

As for Winston, who cares? I really don't see too many people trying to cash in on "Famous Jameis" anyways. Some of these guys should concentrate on their trade first in order to become "Famous" in the paying league.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By that respect, EVERYONE in the world should go for a trademark of their name.....that way, you can't call someone by their name without paying for it.

GENIUS!

Ima gonna try that. (y)

That's not how it works. But good luck.