Things we noticed: Game 1/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Things we noticed: Game 1
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_80b3d075-5edd-52e3-8b1e-d4742a73b03d.html

DOWNFIELD PASSES

There were about a billion reasons why the Rams were embarrassed by the Vikings, but the lack of a deep passing game wasn't one of them. The Rams completed five passes of 20 yards or more in the game, a total which exceeded any game over the entire 2013 season. And it was twice the Rams' season average of 2.5 pass completions of 20 yards-plus in 2013.

There were at least two other deep throws in the game. One came on the botched no-call _ the play in which a penalty flag was picked up when Brian Quick was shoved off his route. The other was a deep ball to Kenny Britt late in the game. Britt has a step or two on the defender but Austin Davis' pass was underthrown and the result was a pass breakup.

OFFICIATING

One of the most maddening things about NFL officiating is the inconsistency in deciding what's a penalty and what's not. There is way too much subjectivity.

When it comes to over-interpretation of the law, Ed Hochuli's crew takes the prize. (Maybe it's because Hochuli's day job is as an attorney.) Anyway, on the second-quarter play when Quick was shoved off his route by Xavier Rhodes, a flag was thrown.

According to Jeff Fisher, the explanation he got was that the flag was thrown for illegal contact. But since the ball was in the air when the throw was made the call had to be pass interference.

Again according to Fisher, he was told that officials thought the shove wasn't severe enough to be pass interference. So the flag was picked up. So according to Hochuli, it's illegal to gain an advantage by having contact with a wide receiver more than five yards down field; but it's OK to do so if the ball's in the air. Huh?

GREGG WILLIAMS' PLAYBOOK

We saw a three-man front on a few occasions. Some blitzes. But overall, this wasn't a game where the Rams' new defensive coordinator could dig deeply into his bag of tricks. After all, when you miss more than a dozen tackles and have trouble consistently shedding blocks, there's only so much you can do scheme-wise.

But give a game ball to Williams' counterpart on the other side of the line of scrimmage, Minnesota offensive coordinator Norv Turner for devising a game plan that neutralized the Rams' pass rush.

The Vikings didn't throw downfield often. They didn't have to because of their success with the running game, the short-passing game, and plays designed to test the Rams' perimeter.

What about those big cushions of days gone by at cornerback? Janoris Jenkins played close the line of scrimmage a lot. At the other corner, E.J. Gaines, a rookie making his first NFL start, was in off coverage more often. And on a couple of occasions, the Vikings took advantage by making quick throws in front of him.

JAKE LONG

On a disastrous day largely devoid of silver linings, left tackle Jake Long and his surgically repaired right knee made it through the opener unscathed.

"I felt fine," Long said afterwards. "I felt strong, quick out there. Everything was good _ just going out and going through a whole game physically. Being around piles, getting rolled up and all that stuff, it's definitely a confidence builder. But the loss overshadows that a lot."

Long played only 27 snaps in the entire preseason, all in Game No. 3 in Cleveland. He played all 67 Rams offensive plays against the Vikings.

"I talked to Jake after the ballgame," Fisher said. "He said he felt good; he was happy to be back. The number of plays wasn't an issue. You look at his production and the game itself, he did a nice job. So I think that's behind him."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great that Long made it through unscathed but his performance was far from okay. If he returns to form, our OL will imo. Especially if/when Greg Robinson is ready to start.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Long looked to be getting pushed around every time I watched him. He did NOT look good to me. None of this "stout" new OL did. That does not bode well for a team already on its backup QB (at least).

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm glad Jim talked about that penalty flag being picked up after Quick was CLEARLY interfered with. Fish should take Jim 's article here and send it into the league as is concerning the "non penalty". Demand an explanation... then implement a strategy with our defense that employs whatever the NFL zebra gods come back with.

Picking up that flag was fucking wrong and changed the game in a HUGE way.

FUCKING BUNK

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
At the other corner, E.J. Gaines, a rookie making his first NFL start, was in off coverage more often. And on a couple of occasions, the Vikings took advantage by making quick throws in front of him.

And that was a mistake as Gaines made the plats when he was allowed to press.

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Yeah, I'll admit I'm a homer, but good Lord...seems like the Rams took more than their share of BS penalties in the opener.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Amen to that 13/28.... that pos trashy mother f'r went directly at his knees.

I usually don't root for injuries, but I remember when Harrison blew out his own knee later in his career and what whining about it ... all I could say is that it serves you right, you dirty cksckr.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Here's what I noticed. This is why you don't pull when Aaron Donald is covering you.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here's what I noticed. This is why you don't pull when Aaron Donald is covering you.

And every OC who planned on running that play against us just threw it out of the gameplan, at least when Donald is on the field.

:)

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Donald is so freakin fast off the ball. Dude is gonna be a pro bowler sooner rather than later. BEAST

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I usually don't root for injuries, but I remember when Harrison blew out his own knee later in his career and what whining about it ... all I could say is that it serves you right, you dirty cksckr.
I agree 100%! I did the same that pos

WTF? that looks better and better every time I watch it lol

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I agree 100%! I did the same that pos

WTF? that looks better and better every time I watch it lol

I'm not sure why they would pull the guard AND center with a super fast 3-tech tackle on that side of the ball.