There. Now it's out of *my* system. Let's talk football.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I deleted my own thread, because I'm over it now. I understand the frustration, but now is the time to look out the windshield and not into the rear-view mirror. I now invite people to honestly analyze the game and employ a little research or study into what went wrong, and why we're doing the things we're doing. Also, come up with some *constructive* ways to break down the game.

This is the same OC who was lauded for bringing back a little bit of an aerial assault to the Rams last year. He didn't forget what to do, and he didn't suddenly become dumb. He might, however, be a little handicapped by what he's actually able to do. Play calling is often dictated by what the defense is doing or allowing, and there are several players who are just now being exposed to this scheme. That's not a sweeping excuse by any means, but it is a very real factor.

This DC is new, so I don't have a ton to work with in that regard. I understand the scheme is widely considered "soft", but what is the reason for the alignments? I will not accept that Fisher/Walton have no balls, are scared, want to lose, or any other ill-conceived opinion on the matter. We need to discuss why zone coverage might be the best available option a majority of the time *without* falling back on the "to protect the safeties" mantra. There are clearly more advanced reasons for what we're seeing. Also, would anyone like to explain the potential pitfalls of running straight up press man coverage a majority of the time? Because there aren't a lot of teams that do that.

Does anyone hold players accountable? Because I'm fully prepared to show why a couple of big plays happened, and how they could have been avoided if discipline was the key component during the play. I'll add a few things to this thread as I do more research and look at more of the game, even if it means I end up talking to myself. Looking forward to thinking this one through.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Re: There. Now it's out of *my* system. Let's talk footbal

Lance Kendricks has had a rough initial 2013 season MIA for all of the TC & pre season after knee surgery but he is a bigger & thicker than ever. Lance has been fully healthy now for over 3 weeks but has been MIA for most of the first three games doing what he does best. He does have 10 receptions for 84 yds & a 8.4 average. Basically Kendricks has been a reserve back up TE to Jared Cook. These two guys are lights yrs opposites when talking about TE's. Lets just say Cook can get in the way of the player he is suppose to block where Lance will plant them into the turf. Lance IMO is being under utilized in the offense due to Cook due to wanting to use all Shotty's new toys & play with them. Fine but you got to run the ball! It does not help that our #1 RB was hurt on the first play yesterday.

Lance has made a few good catches but what I have really noticed when & if he makes the field is he has been used almost full time in two TE sets where he is on the LOS. Last yr some of his best moments came when he was lined up in the FB/H-back position in the back field making some incredible WHAM blocks for Jackson & DR making the running game work. I am not saying we take Cook off the field. But it would appear to me he is our top pass catcher with Givens period.

Point is presently as we all know our running game is no threat. Matter of fact its Harmless. Without the old man Jackson back there teams are lining up with one Ram as their target....Sam. Get there anyway as fast as you can ...results witnessed yesterday & in as Atlanta ...Defeat. Not even close! I would offer up a suggestion to our OC Shotty please re think some on the use of Lance Kendricks with the ideal of getting the running game back in operation. Or .......we will have many more game days like yesterday.

If the current starting OL'ers have low skills & talents with run blocking, find ones that can. You got a dozen OL'ers on the master roster now! Basically Shotty you have four OT's & one center guess it was for the pass protection? But its not working. I know its a passing league but without a running game .....a loosing season will be the results. Shotty you have to get that running game going ASAP we can do it we have fresh young legs @ RB, we have a load of blockers ready to step up. what was it yesterday 6 sack 8 hits & what 2 dozen hurries??? That did not happen during a running play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonifayRam said:
Lance Kendricks has had a rough initial 2013 season MIA for all of the TC & pre season after knee surgery but he is a bigger & thicker than ever. Lance has been fully healthy now for over 3 weeks but has been MIA for most of the first three games doing what he does best. He does have 10 receptions for 84 yds & a 8.4 average. Basically Kendricks has been a reserve back up TE to Jared Cook. These two guys are lights yrs opposites when talking about TE's. Lets just say Cook can get in the way of the player he is suppose to block where Lance will plant them into the turf. Lance IMO is being under utilized in the offense due to Cook due to wanting to use all Shotty's new toys & play with them. Fine but you got to run the ball!

Lance has made a few good catches but what I have really noticed is he has been used almost full time in two TE sets where he is on the LOS. Last yr some of his best moments came when he was lined up in the FB/H-back position in the back field making some incredible WHAM blocks for Jackson & DR making the running game work. I am not saying we take Cook off the field. But it would appear to me he is our top pass catcher with Givens period.

Point is presently as we all know our running game is no threat. Matter of fact its Harmless. Without the old man Jackson back there teams are lining up with one Ram as their target....Sam. Get there anyway as fast as you can ...results witnessed yesterday & in as Atlanta ...Defeat. Not even close! I would offer up a suggestion to our OC Shotty please re think some on the use of Lance Kendricks with the ideal of getting the running game back in operation. Or .......we will have many more game days like yesterday.

If the current starting OL'ers have low skills & talents with run blocking, find ones that can. You got a dozen OL'ers on the master roster now! Basically Shotty you have four OT's & one center guess it was for the pass protection? But its not working. I know its a passing league but without a running game .....a loosing season will be the results. Shotty you have to get that running game going ASAP we can do it we have fresh young legs @ RB, we have a load of blockers ready to step up. what was it yesterday 6 sack 8 hits & what 2 dozen hurries??? That did not happen during a running play.
Stout.

I agree that a focus on the running game needs to be the primary objective. Obviously that will have to be abandoned if the Rams fall behind or are even unable to establish it, but that only reinforces what you're saying. Find new ways to get it going. Even if you have to have 3 decoys in what appears to be a passing play, get defenders off the LOS and put personnel in who are able to block AND catch if need be. Give Bradford a couple of options in a spread out formation and let him decide what the best option might be.

Kendricks can block. Bailey can block. Why not motion them and counter an overload or get the backs and safeties off the line? There are ways to be imaginative without actually making the scheme more difficult. Sometimes it's actually easier to scale back and focus on things you do well instead of going the McDaniels route of trying new shit every week in the hopes that it has a better result.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I'm going to watch the replay again this morning but one thing I noticed yesterday more than the previous games is guys are just flat out missing assignments. Missing blocks completely. The ST play highlights this more than any group. If you notice when Austin is returning a punt, more times than not there are about 4-5 guys around him and only 1-2 Rams blocking. No idea if this is just a coaching issue or just poor play. We've had a few decent running plays but for the most part not much blocking.

Which begs the question, is it just play design or lack or execution? Or maybe a combination of both.
I don't believe it's just plain lack of talent. No way. But guys HAVE to start exectuing better (well DUH).

I was watching a little of the Colts/49ers game yesterday and they (whiners) kept doing this pitch right play that had two lineman sweeping and just destroying anyone in the way. Seemed like they got 20 yards easy every time.

Point being is I never see us run a play like that or come close to having that kind of success.

But why?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

X said:
I deleted my own thread, because I'm over it now. I understand the frustration, but now is the time to look out the windshield and not into the rear-view mirror. I now invite people to honestly analyze the game and employ a little research or study into what went wrong, and why we're doing the things we're doing. Also, come up with some *constructive* ways to break down the game.

This is the same OC who was lauded for bringing back a little bit of an aerial assault to the Rams last year. He didn't forget what to do, and he didn't suddenly become dumb. He might, however, be a little handicapped by what he's actually able to do. Play calling is often dictated by what the defense is doing or allowing, and there are several players who are just now being exposed to this scheme. That's not a sweeping excuse by any means, but it is a very real factor.

This DC is new, so I don't have a ton to work with in that regard. I understand the scheme is widely considered "soft", but what is the reason for the alignments? I will not accept that Fisher/Walton have no balls, are scared, want to lose, or any other ill-conceived opinion on the matter. We need to discuss why zone coverage might be the best available option a majority of the time *without* falling back on the "to protect the safeties" mantra. There are clearly more advanced reasons for what we're seeing. Also, would anyone like to explain the potential pitfalls of running straight up press man coverage a majority of the time? Because there aren't a lot of teams that do that.

Does anyone hold players accountable? Because I'm fully prepared to show why a couple of big plays happened, and how they could have been avoided if discipline was the key component during the play. I'll add a few things to this thread as I do more research and look at more of the game, even if it means I end up talking to myself. Looking forward to thinking this one through.

Show Chris Williams's fat arse walking to the LOS in hurry up mode while everyone else is set and burning 10 seconds off the clock then getting immediately pancaked by the DT and letting Sam get sacked.

That'll show you why I was embarrassed by the effort of some of those guys yesterday. Cannot think of better way to tell everyone, "I've given up on this game". Made me irate.

I hold players accountable. I also hold coaches accountable for bad scheming.

I hope this was because they were looking ahead to SF due to the Thursday night game because if that's the best they can do, I am sad for them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jrry32 said:
Show Chris Williams's fat arse walking to the LOS in hurry up mode while everyone else is set and burning 10 seconds off the clock then getting immediately pancaked by the DT and letting Sam get sacked.

That'll show you why I was embarrassed by the effort of some of those guys yesterday. Cannot think of better way to tell everyone, "I've given up on this game". Made me irate.

I hope this was because they were looking ahead to SF due to the Thursday night game because if that's the best they can do, I am sad for them.
I saw that too. We're three games in, so the wheat will begin to separate from the chaff on the roster, and those who are showing up with efforts like that will probably get severely disciplined. I don't know if he was gassed, or wasn't situationally aware, but yeah ... that was bad.

I understand why you were embarrassed, and I understand your meaning. I took offense to the whole "embarrassed to be a Rams fan" thing initially, but that's my hang-up. I'm more the type of person who welcomes shitty remarks about my team because I'm an idiot who sometimes looks for reasons to get in someone's face for talking shit. Again, that's my cross to bare, and I'm not always proud of it.

Anyway. Bad scheming, bad execution on our part. Good scheming, good execution on Dallas' part. How do we avoid that now? How do you take so much youth and make sure that all of them are in a position to succeed while allowing for the normal process of not being 100% comfortable or acclimated WITH the scheme? There's a balance there, and I don't think it's a 180 change to what you're doing. Then we'll just have a whole 'nother bag of problems to sort through.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

jrry32 said:

Saw that ! Chris had a very bad day against DT Hatcher . If you recall it was not till the 4th quarter did I see him make a good block. DT Hatcher spent the whole day in our backfield molesting Sam. Chris Williams assumed OG Robert Turner's last years assignment working with Center Scott Wells on the shotgun snaps. Chris Williams will face NFL best long time all pro Justin Smith Thursday :nerp: Bottom Line Chris is not young no youth issue here. Chris is 28 & in his 6th season & got bench every season while he was in Chicago.

Rams do have Tim Barnes & Shelley Smith ready wonder if the tough nasty Mike Persons who is also projected in @ OLG may bet some action this week in practice?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

X said:
jrry32 said:

I saw that too. We're three games in, so the wheat will begin to separate from the chaff on the roster, and those who are showing up with efforts like that will probably get severely disciplined. I don't know if he was gassed, or wasn't situationally aware, but yeah ... that was bad.

I understand why you were embarrassed, and I understand your meaning. I took offense to the whole "embarrassed to be a Rams fan" thing initially, but that's my hang-up. I'm more the type of person who welcomes crappy remarks about my team because I'm an idiot who sometimes looks for reasons to get in someone's face for talking shyte. Again, that's my cross to bare, and I'm not always proud of it.

Anyway. Bad scheming, bad execution on our part. Good scheming, good execution on Dallas' part. How do we avoid that now? How do you take so much youth and make sure that all of them are in a position to succeed while allowing for the normal process of not being 100% comfortable or acclimated WITH the scheme? There's a balance there, and I don't think it's a 180 change to what you're doing. Then we'll just have a whole 'nother bag of problems to sort through.

I don't know how he'd be gassed, they ran 1 play. If I were Fisher, I would have ran on the field, yanked Williams off and planted him on the bench for the rest of the game. Things like that set me off. If you're not good enough, still give me a freaking effort but I can't stand a guy just quitting out there. If you don't want to play then get off the field. There are plenty of guys willing to bust their arse for what you make.

As for crosses to bare, I have plenty of them. I understand. :lol:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

From my internet view the best formations happen when Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Tavon Austin and Chris Givens are on at the same time. All 4 should be on as much as possible.

Doing quick outs and deep posts to the TEs, screens/slants to Tavon, wheel routes with Chris Givens in the hurry up with PITCHES to Daryl Richardson seems like the best way for this offense to go. But Schotty doesn't do this so far this year. Seems like same offense as last year, even tho last year's offense was more power based and this year more speed based.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

From what I saw, we just lost the majority of the one on one matchups. We all saw how bad the OL was, but our DL did not get much pressure at all on Romo. This is disturbing as it was supposed to be our one area of strength. I also saw Whitten abuse our young LB all day, which is not too surprising. Again, our defense played a soft zone and allowed Romo to take advantage of the underneath stuff all day. the bend don't break approach is broken. Demarco Murray must circle Rams games when he sees them on the schedule. We make that dude look like Walter fucking Payton.Has anyone seen Brockers this year?? How many penalties do we have on ST thus far? It has to be in the thousands. Poor Tavon. Whole lot of issues here my friends....and it starts with Fisher.