There is no way of knowing how Carson Wentz will do in the NFL - 'The Herd'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video?vid=658738755926

Really good video if you have a few moments.

Something to think about Wentz gents...

TBF, there really is no way of knowing how any draft prospect will do in the NFL. All the guys in the past that were drafted as the "sure thing" that were busts.

I'm sure Fisher and Snead did their due diligence, and I admire them for pursuing their need. If the pick is Wentz, he'll be fine. We're essentially going to ride Gurley and the defense to the playoffs, anyway.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
http://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video?vid=658738755926

Really good video if you have a few moments.

Something to think about Wentz gents...

They are good points. I think the most important is that for 3 seasons Goff took a lot hits from big time Pac-12 defenders. He never acquired happy feet. He just stayed focused and kept getting better.

Now, regarding Wentz, I'm not sure we can say the same. He has never been knocked around by Div 1 (FBS) opponents. His teammates have always been much better than all of their opponents. We don't know how resilient he'll be once he starts getting pressured and knocked around. This is what makes Wentz a much bigger risk than Goff in my mind.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I mean, how many tough defenses did a QB from ND State face? What are they in, the Goat Fucker Conference? Lol

TexasRam

Legend
Wentz is not a QB you take #1 overall.

He's untested and pure projection.

It's like the Raiders taking Heyward-bay because he was the fastest WR.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I mean, how many tough defenses did a QB from ND State face? What are they in, the Goat freaker Conference? Lol

It's cool Rynie, the Cowboys now have ZERO chance to get someone of quality to eventually take over for TonyHomo, I mean Tomy Roma's - oops I mean tony Romo

Enjoy your bust DB selection at wherever your team is out of the conversation :LOL:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Wentz is not a QB you take #1 overall.

He's untested and pure projection.

It's like the Raiders taking Heyward-bay because he was the fastest WR.

Untested and pure projection... I'm not so sure. Plus I don't get your comparison to Heyward-Bey, how are those two scenarios the same?

Heyward-Bey isn't a bust
It was either him or Maclin and I think Crabtree which neither have gone on to have hall of fame careers - Heyward-Bey is still playing so I don't get that exactly

You could also say Kurt Warner was untested and pure projection when he took us to the Super Bowl

jap

Legend
'Cool Hand' Jerad Goff is intriguing. We might need a level head at QB to shut Arians face or put a zipper on Dick Sherman's lips. However, Wentz physicality inspires play possibilities.

The Horns will have to hash this one out with heavy due diligence.

Ram65

Legend
I mentioned these things early on about Wentz and North Dakota State.

Nice facts I didn't know. NDS in six years 22-1 in playoff Outscored playoff opponents 755 to 300 in points.

Nice post!

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Untested and pure projection... I'm not so sure. Plus I don't get your comparison to Heyward-Bey, how are those two scenarios the same?

Heyward-Bey isn't a bust
It was either him or Maclin and I think Crabtree which neither have gone on to have hall of fame careers - Heyward-Bey is still playing so I don't get that exactly

You could also say Kurt Warner was untested and pure projection when he took us to the Super Bowl

The Heyward-Bay comparisons are similar because Wentz was unknown by most until the senior bowl/combine process started.

Mayock was wow'd by his physical abilities at the senior bowl and combine and suddenly he's in first round conversation. And now first pick conversation, which is mind blowing.

Same as Heyward, he raced up draft boards after destroying everyone at the combine with his 4.30 40 speed and suddenly he's in conversation as a top Wr. Then Raiders take him 7th Overall!!

By any stretch of the imagination Bey can't be considered anything but a draft bust.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm in the minority in saying that I also think a lot of either Wentz's or Goff's success will have to do with how successful the team is around him. (I think this is true of some other QB's like Carr, Harrington and Bradford who hand chances to be franchise QBs but were destroyed by bad talent and inconsistent coaching around them).

I have reservations about both Wentz and Goff (particularly the fumbles cause that can't be affected by those around him) but a good deal of their success will have to do with our D, our run game, our line and our coaching staff.

WvuIN02

Starter
If the Rams screw this up, it will be a bigger setback than Bradford with all they gave up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams screw this up, it will be a bigger setback than Bradford with all they gave up.

No. They didn't give up all that much. Two seconds this year and a first next year. The rest of it is a crap shoot. Some think seconds are a crap shoot. The Redskins survived the RGIII trade well enough. The Rams will survive this one either way.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
While I am skeptical of the "experts" on guys that are hard to watch. I believe Carson Wentz is this years Blake Bortles/ Khalil Mack....Unproven to only a few, but a really solid looking prospect. Scouting has really improved, bust are more rare. He can play...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually think Wentz is among the safest picks in this draft. He's a straight A student, not a party guy or flashy type. Dude is grounded and known for his work ethic in the film room. His coaches say he's the "first guy in the building" type. Super intelligent as well.

Oh and he's also 6'5" and runs like a skill position player. Has an extremely strong arm. Ran an offense that parallels many in the NFL complete with checks at the LOS with full authority. Stood out like a sore thumb among the other QBs at the Senior Bowl. Back to back Championships in a top program at that lower level.

But OMG he played at a lower level!!!! Nobody can do that and succeed in the NFL!!!! Yeah, ok.

Chances are the Rams are going to hit it out of the park with this guy. IMO.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The Heyward-Bay comparisons are similar because Wentz was unknown by most until the senior bowl/combine process started.

Mayock was wow'd by his physical abilities at the senior bowl and combine and suddenly he's in first round conversation. And now first pick conversation, which is mind blowing.

Same as Heyward, he raced up draft boards after destroying everyone at the combine with his 4.30 40 speed and suddenly he's in conversation as a top Wr. Then Raiders take him 7th Overall!!

By any stretch of the imagination Bey can't be considered anything but a draft bust.

Draft Bust compared to Crabtree and Maclin?

I get your point now though,
You're saying Wentz will be a bust -just like Heyward-Bey :confused:

WvuIN02

Starter
No. They didn't give up all that much. Two seconds this year and a first next year. The rest of it is a crap shoot. Some think seconds are a crap shoot. The Redskins survived the RGIII trade well enough. The Rams will survive this one either way.
Cousins is far better than any QB we have right now.

And 1 first, 2 seconds, 2 thirds isnt much? For moving up 14 spots??? That in most peoples books is a ton.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It's cool Rynie, the Cowboys now have ZERO chance to get someone of quality to eventually take over for TonyHomo, I mean Tomy Roma's - oops I mean tony Romo

Enjoy your bust DB selection at wherever your team is out of the conversation :LOL:
I can feel love oozing from you.