There is a lesson to be learned Mike Zimmer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whether you are a coach, GM, or owner I think it's important to note some things from his success with Minnesota:

1. Hiring an expert on one side of the ball is efficient. Sure, you can win with ST coach background, but the nice thing about having an expert on offense or defense is you have locked down one side of the ball where your "elite brain trust" cannot be poached by other teams.

Zimmer is an elite DC. In locking him down they ensured they would get the most from the talent on that side of the ball from day one just like Green Bay did some years before with an elite OC in McCarthy.

I will argue that locking down an elite OC in your head coaching role is preferable given the direction of the league towards favoring the passing game, but it would be a mistake obviously to overlook a better leader simply based on what side of the ball his background is.

2. The most critical hire is the coordinator opposite of the expertise of your head coach.

This of course seems so basic, so obvious, that you would think coaches know it. But they jack it up all the time. Whatever the expertise of the head coach, it is imperative they have the other side of the ball represented by an outstanding coordinator if you want to win in this league. If you hire a guy who is a matchup problem against good coordinators, you're gonna suffer. A lot of fans act like this doesn't matter, but it is integral to winning in this league.

If possible locking down a coordinator who has recently been fired from a head coaching job, or who otherwise for whatever reason won't be a hot HC candidate again even given success as a coordinator, is the way to go. The Vikings accomplished this with Norv Turner who many owners see as a coordinator not a head coach. Additionally, this shadows what Green Bay did as well with Dom Capers, who represented the defensive side in an elite capacity to go with McCarthy while also being a guy who is not going to be running out to a head coaching interview immediately after a great season.

If you extrapolate all this to Fish, it is clear he got the hire right on the defensive side of the ball because Williams is a good coordinator who is not going to get a head coaching job any time soon thanks to the scandal. But of course offensively it's all jacked up, with the selection of a guy in Schotty who was not only represented by poor production but who also a risk to be hired away had he put together a strong offensive showing.

So of course the key for Fisher is that OC hire. He requires a strong hire so that he can sort through this offensive roster and properly trim the guys who he overvalued, and identify what he needs for the way forward. The QB acquisition in particular looms large, and I do not see that going well without a strong OC hire unless they somehow get lucky like the Rams did with Faulk in '99 being a lucky recipient of an enormously beneficial trade.

Anyway, I know this was long but needed to get that off my chest.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yes, we meed a good OC but that OC may need to be made the head coach so that the current head coach doesn't screw up the offense.:rant:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The lesson to be learned is that a good head coach makes a huge difference. Wish we had one.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
IDK, man, I'd like to see how this offense would look with one legit WO across from Britt and a tough TE that has really good hands. It could make all the difference. OL is looking up, Keenum is pretty solid, and we have a strong RB core. Not having that one reliable target for intermediate passes is absolutely killing us. I don't know what the deal is with Quick but he just hasn't put up anything close to the performances he had last year before getting hurt.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Didn't want to make this about Martz, but he's a good example of what I'm talking about for Fisher...

1. Gives him an elite OC.
2. Nobody is going to hire him away when the Rams offense rises from the ashes.

We'd be talking years of continuity and being a legit competitor with Martz and Williams as his coordinators. If you want to see the future in the NFC:

Green Bay - McCarthy/Capers
Minnesota - Zimmer/Turner
Chicago - Fox/Gase

That division has "years of nasty" written all over it and will come down to who better trims their roster each year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IDK, man, I'd like to see how this offense would look with one legit WO across from Britt and a tough TE that has really good hands. It could make all the difference. OL is looking up, Keenum is pretty solid, and we have a strong RB core. Not having that one reliable target for intermediate passes is absolutely killing us. I don't know what the deal is with Quick but he just hasn't put up anything close to the performances he had last year before getting hurt.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

I wonder what Boras thinks of Keenum going forward. IMO if he's tellin Fish that they don't need a QB what that is really tellin Fish is he needs a better OC.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Bridgewater didn't even pass for over 100 yards tonight and I think no TDs 1 INT. Those are totally Keenum numbers and they win the NFC North, they who we took to OT and....

Amazing. Yet Seacocks will still kick their ass next Sunday in MINN.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Charlie Weis was always a good OC and horrible HC.

Yeah. Never understood why he kept going back to HC college when he had so much success at OC in the NFL. Monetary reasons I suppose, but the dude is an awful head coach.

FRO

Legend
We can blame the offensive coordinators all we want, but they are playing Fisher ball. This is the offense he wants to run. It's probably why we struggled to hire a guy last year, and it's probably why we will struggle to hire a guy this year. Schottenhiemer ran the offense the way Fisher wanted and wasn't in jeopardy of losing his job. He was safe. If Fisher wants to win he needs to hire a top rate OC and let him do his thing.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
It's a vicious circle. Some days it is the wr play some days it's the qb play. Early in the season that list included poor Ol play. It all starts with the qb and we havn't had good consistent qb play around here since before bulger became bulgerized. We havn't had good consistent wr play since Holt and Bruce. Our ol APPEARS to be on it's way to respectability but its been a long time coming. I am not making excuses for Fisher because he is the guy who insisted on weighting the draft heavily on the defensive side of the ball. But realistically the offense they have ran is what they are capable of doing. Until they get improved play from the qb and at least one wr and te, expect about the same record and same style of play next year. On days that the defense doesn't perform at an elite level we will lose. You think if Fisher and Co had an offense capable of running and executing more sophisticated plays and gameplans they wouldn't do it and score maybe20 or so points before they went into a conservave mode?